;

Author Topic: Random Posts from the Feminism and Gender Equality Thread  (Read 645890 times)

Patriarchy

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
Re: Random Posts from the Feminism and Gender Equality Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
I also agree, except for the second part.  For part one, I just had a baby girl in November.  I had to burn two weeks vacation to be involved, when my wife got six weeks automatically.  For all the fighting that feminists do for everything to be equal, why is this not a rage topic?  As for part two, it is a woman's fault for wanting a family.  If you have a family, it is not conducive to career development.  It's one or the other, at least imo, until the kid is of school age.  Both work and family suffers when trying to do both.  Daycares do not substitute for good parenting.

I wasn't mocking maternity/paternity leave. Just the notion that it should be mandatory. That you'd literally stop by some guys desk and say "Congrats on the baby, but it is illegal for you to be working today". I think it's cool when companies offer it but you shouldn't be forced to take it. For context of the post, she was basically saying that men should have no choice in the matter.

The "nice guy" stuff has me confused too. When it was created I thought it was just guys who were overly pathetic, but now it's being labeled on guys who open a door or give up a seat on a bus. I was on the train today and it was packed and some lady in her 50's was standing and I told her to please take my seat and she did. I hope she doesn't need rape counseling over this.

What do these girls want guys to act like? To be assholes to them? Usually when you are trying to impress someone, you do and say nice stuff to them. It's never failed for me in the past. And yes, I was trying to fuck most of them. That's sort of how human sexuality works. The guy in her story is only a loser for not completely laughing in her face the first time she lectured him.

Huffington Post

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »
The "nice guy" stuff has me confused too. When it was created I thought it was just guys who were overly pathetic, but now it's being labeled on guys who open a door or give up a seat on a bus. I was on the train today and it was packed and some lady in her 50's was standing and I told her to please take my seat and she did. I hope she doesn't need rape counseling over this.

What do these girls want guys to act like? To be assholes to them? Usually when you are trying to impress someone, you do and say nice stuff to them. It's never failed for me in the past. And yes, I was trying to fuck most of them. That's sort of how human sexuality works. The guy in her story is only a loser for not completely laughing in her face the first time she lectured him.

internet feminists probably just perceive anything that any man does as his way of asserting dominance over them. there is no right way to act.

Patriarchy

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Quote from: spite house
It really is just another form of genderfuck performance. As it turns out, women are pretty well-equipped to skewer the trappings of traditional femininity. It ISN'T a good idea to barge into an established drag scene and announce you've arrived without getting to know it damn well first though. Do what everyone else does and find an amenable drag mother.

I've done it a few times (more club kid/genderfuck drag than traditional/camp drag). It's fun, though I still can't walk in heels higher than four inches.

Quote from: Dex
It's never really come up - I guess there's just something 'different' about taking a group of guys who routinely knock seven bells out of each other in the ring, slapping some lipstick on them and going for a few pints. The only guy I've ever met who had a problem with it was also a raging homophobe, so nobody gave a fuck about inviting him out anyway.

Mind you, I've gone out in drag on other occasions too, especially when I was a teenager - some girls I've known seem to really dig putting makeup on guys(or me, at least), and I don't really care one way or the other so if they're entertained then great. It's always just been a thing that happens sometimes, and I've never put much thought into whether or not it's offensive or I'm trying to say something about gender or whatever.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:12 AM »
Thread of the year 2013 calling it now

Harry D Greek

• Cishet White Male
  • http://i.imgur.com/U2hZuN9.png
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »

It's never really come up - I guess there's just something 'different' about taking a group of guys who routinely knock seven bells out of each other in the ring, slapping some lipstick on them and going for a few pints. The only guy I've ever met who had a problem with it was also a raging homophobe, so nobody gave a fuck about inviting him out anyway.

Mind you, I've gone out in drag on other occasions too, especially when I was a teenager - some girls I've known seem to really dig putting makeup on guys(or me, at least), and I don't really care one way or the other so if they're entertained then great. It's always just been a thing that happens sometimes, and I've never put much thought into whether or not it's offensive or I'm trying to say something about gender or whatever.

"You want to dress me up like Judy Garland, chain me to Toto, have a gang of bruisers from the gym get gussied up with some lipstick and lingerie and genderfuck me? Yeah, sure, whatever. It's the weekend, shit happens."
                                                                   :say:
                                                              :unparsons:
Quote from: a man with an asymmetrical haircut
This was posted on the page before, but I was only able to catch up on this thread now. I'd like to point out that not all lesbian relationships have two vaginas, and it really sucks as a queer trans woman to hear this sort of generalization all the time.

Quote from: Vargo
Just realized Billy Oceans "get out of my dreams (and into my car)" is pretty blatantly about street harassment

Danger-Weiner

• Enemy Of The State
  • Emo Tablecloth Salesman
  • Awards Wounded Multiple Times in the Line of Posting Murderer Ambien posting Californian Lithuanian DeVry
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »
i go out in drag all the time

fag drag :dubya:
Trigger warning: the second video contains powerful audio of the man’s fragmented urine stream.

Harry D Greek

• Cishet White Male
  • http://i.imgur.com/U2hZuN9.png
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »
What's the deal with the whole Nice Guy thing lately? I thought it was just a high school phase or do they still exist in large numbers somewhere? Part 2: why does every goonette blame Nice Guys for her inability to have romance?

I thought Nice Guys referred to gormless twenty-somethings who still haven't learned how to talk to girls (ie a lot of goons). Now the term somehow also includes evil rapists. Guess it means whatever it needs to in order to create a mockable stereotype for people who are themselves mockable stereotypes?

Once the Feminism and Gender Equality Thread debunked and shut down any existence of the Friend Zone, it's every inhabitant became a Nice Guy/Serial Rapist from a Lifetime Movie.
Quote from: a man with an asymmetrical haircut
This was posted on the page before, but I was only able to catch up on this thread now. I'd like to point out that not all lesbian relationships have two vaginas, and it really sucks as a queer trans woman to hear this sort of generalization all the time.

Quote from: Vargo
Just realized Billy Oceans "get out of my dreams (and into my car)" is pretty blatantly about street harassment

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
Multiple female managers in my office are pregnant I think. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when they take leave.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »
+2
Multiple female managers in my office are pregnant I think. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when they take leave.

Work.

Huffington Post

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

Work.

:stewart:

furly_ghost

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

i have a suspicion raging homophobe = not wanting to go out for drinks in drag

Note: D&D does not stand for debate & discussion
If we're sharing our bad D&D experiences, I think I got my first dose of personal-scale misogyny while presenting female for a campaign. It was with people I had never met before, and one friend. The friend was pretty put-off by it too. Basically, my character was a young girl, and two of the other players basically disregarded me entirely because I was a girl playing as a nonsexualized girl. They wanted to, I quote, "flirt with all the maidens," and I guess having a girl that wasn't there to be flirted with meant that I was useless. Also, since children are idiots, by metonymy I guess they figured I was too, because if I ever wanted to say something, they'd interrupt me with "Shut up, little girl."

Anyway, I was wondering--when you're talking to someone about trans issues, how do you deal with the "chromosomes" appeal? I feel like my go-to argument for the case is, "you're holding people to this bizarre ideal of containing an invisible letter branding to determine if they are truly something or not, and that is absurd." But I don't think that sort of view would convince people who are appealing to chromosomes.
a doubly whammy. Roleplaying gets too real for our younge maidene, who discovers that if you want to pretend to be a kid then you might get treated like one. at least they didnt subject her to roleplay-rape.
next up, revising science & genetics to fit your fucked up world view
A toddler and a flying dog CANNOT do work intended for an adult human. I wish my parents would believe me.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »
So lib-fags are LARPing all day every day?  :allears:

Huffington Post

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »
Anyway, I was wondering--when you're talking to someone about trans issues, how do you deal with the "chromosomes" appeal? I feel like my go-to argument for the case is, "you're holding people to this bizarre ideal of containing an invisible letter branding to determine if they are truly something or not, and that is absurd." But I don't think that sort of view would convince people who are appealing to chromosomes.

gotta love how goons are always "BUT SCIENCE SAYS ... " until science disagrees with their shitty world view

Dental Grade Dildo

• Cishet White Male
  • I'm going to assume you are black and didndonuffin
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »
When normal people say "I want someone with XX chromosomes" they don't mean the fucking strands of DNA, they mean "a voice more feminine than Brian Blessed's and a vagina that doesn't look like a car accident"

unfortunately troons are capable of ignoring context almost as well as they did their parents

Patriarchy

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
If you won't let a tranny fuck you, you're a bigot and have issues.

Quote from: zachol
A blanket statement of "I don't want to have sex with trans women" comes uncomfortably close to "trans women aren't really women." Yes, it could just be a preference, and it's entirely their choice no matter what, but especially in relation to "cis lesbians who pride themselves on the fact that they would never sleep with a trans woman" it feels probably rooted in transphobia, the attitude of "they're not really women," which becomes a problem when it bleeds over into other parts of their behavior.

Quote from: postscript
I understand everybody has free agency to be sexually attracted to whomever they wish, but the issue is that if you claim that you are attracted to women, and then exclude an entire class of women as potential partners, you probably have some issues to work out with that particular class of women. Perhaps this is a problem with the way we label sexuality as dependent on gender (true for some people) instead of on physical anatomy (also true for other people). See: some gay cis men not being attracted to trans men, cis lebians not being attracted to trans women, etc. When some people say lesbian, the understanding to them is that they are a self-identified women who is attracted to other self-identified women, while to others they are people with vaginas attracted to other people with vaginas. That's why you get some lesbians who will deign to sleep with trans women (:rolleyes:) and some lesbians who will date trans men.

Quote from: Eldoop
It's mostly that while it's entirely possible that not wanting to sleep with trans women is just some sort of personal preference, given the amount of transphobic garbage we're fed by our culture and that even super-progressive people have to unlearn, it's probably based in prejudice. (Even more so if post-op trans women are included, since there's little difference between them and cis women, generally.)

At some point a semi-sane individual jumps in to state that people should be free to have sex with the people they would like to have sex with. This upsets a goon who jumps in with a sarcastic reply.

Quote from: Eldoop
You're right, that totally makes it not shitty and awful to proudly declare that you'd never have sex with a trans woman.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:06:02 AM by mangosteenfan »

Patriarchy

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
Lets move on to another serious topic in today's modern world. When a guy holds a door open for someone.

Quote from: HOW HIGH THE MOON
Thanks for sharing that, snailassault. She hit the nail on the head, often men don't understand the turbulent reactions they get for doing things that are nice because they aren't involved in a world where they are being treated like shit all the damn time through very similar gestures. Your breaking point edges so close to you that innocuous behaviors take on a new context and you snap on people. A girl telling you not to hold the door for her probably has a shitload of other insulting behaviors on her mind and is sick to death of them - and as a consequence, you got yelled at.

A woman in one of my groups compared it to dealing with someone who is feeling high levels of constant anxiety. It's easier to set them off, but instead of trying to understand why, a lot of people go "Wow, what a rude bitch."

Quote from: GidgetNomates
What gets me the most is when I'm holding a door open for a guy and he just sorta grabs the door and gestures me to go on ahead of him.  I've had this happen so many times that I can't even deal anymore.  The hell is wrong with you.

Quote from: lidnsya
I really appreciate the door-opening chat because it's something that drives me absolutely nuts. I've made Facebook posts about it before, explaining why it bothers me, and asking what I should do in that situation, and the responses from a few guys were downright vicious. Apparently I'm just gender-insecure if I don't like men holding the door for me. 

A few complained that as a guy in that situation, they were screwed either way, since some women expect to have the door held for them (which some women had replied).  I said that I think it's also dated and sexist for a woman to expect a man to fit into that "chivalrous" role.

brolonium

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • The rarest pepe
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:30 AM »
Next up, more on "Why I can't control my emotions or behaviour and it's All Your Fault"

Danger-Weiner

• Enemy Of The State
  • Awards Wounded Multiple Times in the Line of Posting Murderer Ambien posting Californian Lithuanian DeVry
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
i dont want a gentleman, a rude slovenly do-nothing is much more progressive
Trigger warning: the second video contains powerful audio of the man’s fragmented urine stream.

Huffington Post

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 03:06:23 AM »
if something you're doing makes a lot of people go "Wow, what a rude bitch" then you probably are being a rude bitch

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »
if something you're doing makes a lot of people go "Wow, what a rude bitch" then you probably are being a rude bitch

Social commentary in video games

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
An old man at church offered me a Werther's Original. Quit treating me like a baby I don't need your charity I'm  a BIIIIIIG GIIIRRRRRL
Thanks for defending my freedom to freely shitpost on a forum hosted in these here United States.  :salute:

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Bah Jaysus! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Sasstronaut United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
An old man at church offered me a Werther's Original. Quit treating me like a baby I don't need your charity I'm  a BIIIIIIG GIIIRRRRRL

UGH! That old creeper was just trying to hit on you! You should ask the priest to kick him out and ban him! Just because he's old doesn't excuse him making you or anyone else feel NOT SAFE. I bet if you ask a lot of the other womyn in your church you'll find most of them probably feel the same way. Except the stupid enablers!
I am a lifelong physically disabled person and I happily identify as “disabled”, a part of the “disability rights movement” and when I am with other disabled people, I call myself a “crip”.

Danger-Weiner

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »

goons dont go to church

Dental Grade Dildo

• Cishet White Male
  • I'm going to assume you are black and didndonuffin
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

goons dont go to church
I've been lurking the pope threads and there are at least two Catholic troons. No that's not a typo.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
That's been the modus operandi, get the homos, freaks and ghouls to proclaim themselves part of a religious organization, forcing the group to either disavow them and face the inevitable shitstorm for not being inclusive, or sell out their values (their entire reason for existing) and accommodating all the freaks.

Slutwalking nuns coming soon.  :pound: