;

Author Topic: TVIV and CineD: dens of absolute faggotry  (Read 436368 times)

cis scum 1.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • theres no going back
  • Awards Took Down an Admin You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Drinkin' and Postin' Took Out 15 Furries in One Shot Took down a Goon Took down a Moderator Wounded in the line of posting. United Statesian Rethuglikkkan Better dead than red Classicist cold, dead hands
    • Awards
Re: TVIV and CineD: dens of absolute faggotry
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »
see that's the reason why this thread exists:

Quote from: Cactus
I have to admit, despite the fact that I want to be a good, progressive person, despite the fact that I'm aware of the concept of privilege and that I have it because by chance I was born a straight white male, despite the fact that I know I'll never truly fathom what life is like without that privilege and despite the fact that I'd love society to be a better place without these issues, even though I knew Skyler was being completely reasonable and acting in a way I would probably act if in her shoes, a part of me still loving cheered and fist-pumped when Walt asked Skyler to climb down out of his ass.

We're a product of our society, which, despite what the MRAs would have us believe, is a largely patriarchal one. That isn't any one individual's fault, and however aware we are of it, it is so ingrained that we sometimes can't escape it. I think a lot of people get defensive about this stuff because they perceive people pointing this sort of stuff out as a personal attack (and sometimes it is) but I think most people that draw attention to it, at least around here I hope, are in fact just trying to raise awareness and have intelligent discussions (like I perceive Sophia to be doing).

Let's do a thought experiment. I know this is a movie and not a TV show, but lets take the ultimate deadbeat comedic character. Hypothetically if Jeff Lebowski's character had been written, all else remaining the same, as a female character, what do people guess the reception would have been? What would the nickname "The Dude" have been replaced with? Would it have been seen as being as funny? As critically acclaimed? As embraced as a cult classic? Does anyone here think they personally would have liked it more or less, if being completely honest with themselves (not asking anyone to post the answer here if they don't like the honest answer, just think about it), or would it have made no difference? Assume for the thought experiment that the actress chosen to play... Jane Lebowski was just as good at comedic acting as Jeff Bridges.

I personally think the reviews we'd have read of the Big Lebowski would have been very different. If I'm brutally honest with myself, those reviews either would have coloured my perception of the film, or my inherent sexism might have done that all by itself (I was much younger back then, and I definitely had some very questionable outlooks on life) and I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. I believe this is what's happening with Girls, but of course that is an impossible claim to verify or prove in any way without access to multiple universes.

This is a forum where we casually discuss stuff we watch on TV. It isn't D&D. Say for example if someone had said something like "in New Girl, I think Schmidt was generally disliked at first, but people seem to have since warmed to the character, despite him still being a massive dickhead at times". Most would probably voice agreement. One or two might have said they still dislike him as much now as they did back then. Some might even make the claim that the character is sexist. But would anyone have asked for specific citations from various critics? I very much doubt it. So why this higher standard with Girls?

:lilal:

Quote from: Android Blues
Quote from: EvilTobaccoExec
Also not really related at all.. more a random thought I had, but I bet for every major horror movie you could find both journal articles calling out misogynistic themes and articles hailing feminist themes. There's just so much history with both representations and loaded imagery that a lot of arguments can be paint-by-numbers applied even. This is totally unrelated to anything. Probably shouldn't have this paragraph. Eh.

Speaking as someone who's researched and written on this in academia, while feminism in horror movies is a pretty rich field, they're generally a deeply problematic genre and pretty much every major piece of writing on them doesn't discuss them as feminist works but as compromised ones with a mixture of misogynist and feminist elements.

A theorist writing on a horror movie about witches, to use a simple example, might analyse how the movie simultaneously portrays female power, and presents it as outside the realm of the safe, normal or licit. Horror is essentially about outsider power, which is potentially feminist, but it's also about how that outsider power threatens the status quo, which is a much more complicated proposition.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:32:28 PM by cis scum »

muslim batman

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
The reason why people would hate that a woman portrayed as a lazy deadbeat is because they hate women?
 :jesse:
Dont disparage an entire group and say anything that could imply or lead to violence against that group.
#KillAllWhiteMen

Hollywood Shabat Goy Yaro

• Cishet White Male
  • ギューン野郎
  • Awards Deplorables Generation Identitaire Anonymous Goon or Ex-Goon Scrooge 420 Better dead than red Californian
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
What kind of non goon would want to watch a movie that's about an overweight and unlikable cat lady suffering from fibro?

Allof that goons self flagellation over not meeting up to progressive standards and privilege checking has more in common with dark age era Christianity than any ideology today.

I just wanted to live a normal life.  Have a wife and kids, be a father.  But then my other side tells me that I want to get breast and butt implants and get a job working as a plus size model for Victoria's Secret.

Dental Grade Dildo

• Cishet White Male
  • I'm going to assume you are black and didndonuffin
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
If Jeff Lebowski had been Jane Lebowski the only difference is that you would see a tiny subculture of trashy stoner college-aged women idolizing her as a role model because man, the dude chick abides, maaaaan *puff*

I think the dumbest thing in the TVIV lately is everyone is obsessed with making characters gay.

It seems like the internet in general is obsessed with making TV characters gay. Including cartoon characters.

Are two characters close friends? Must be gay. Do they treat each other like siblings? Gay. Are they actually, literally siblings? Totally gay.

Edit: Are they rivals? They must want to have sex with each other. Enemies? Big time gaywads. Do they hate each other's guts? That's just hidden gay passion.

Men really want to see hot actresses naked, and ideally making out with each other. Women really want to see hot actors making out with each other, and ideally naked.

Nothing wrong with that, it's just the nature of the sexes.

food desert

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
+2
Hbomberguy would make for a good doxx. Post history shows activity in the threads: Kevin Smith Discussion, Star Wars, Dark Souls, Feminism/GenderEQ, and Let's Play.

Harry D Greek

• Cishet White Male
  • http://i.imgur.com/U2hZuN9.png
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
Quote from: Jonny Angel
Finally caught up on Season 4 and S5E1. While S4 owned as usual, almost everything involving Jody Adair left a bad taste in my mouth. His first episode was the premiere, so maybe Fletcher Nix from Season 3 had left me with an unreasonable standard. But I kinda liked what he seemed to have going on in that episode, a slightly sympathetic guy who ultimately was too good at rationalizing his misdeeds. (Was a little awkward though of have a white Southern guy in a suit lecturing a black guy on how he had "no self-awareness")

Oh, I agree. It's a completely accurate read on Jody, and the "If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole" line sums him up really well too. Plus, in the context of the show Raylan's proven repeatedly that he's not at all a racist guy (though Rachel called him out once or twice on being able to get away with shit that she never would, for example). It just felt a little uneasy, like somewhere some dudes in wifebeaters were watching and nodding along, all "Just like my life!"

Apologies if this is nearing a social justice derail. I'm happy to shut up about it if we feel like productive things won't come of this.

Quote from: Midnight City
It's a valid observation, wasn't deriding you for it. I was born in Kentucky and it definitely has some weird form of concentrated racism that's completely different from even other southern states like Arkansas, where I live now. I think it's largely due to the demographics, the town I live in now in southern Arkansas is 45% black, the town next to me is 48%, I think most towns in Kentucky (Harlan included) don't even reach double digits, so change is a hell of a lot slower (if at all).

autistic faggots
Quote from: a man with an asymmetrical haircut
This was posted on the page before, but I was only able to catch up on this thread now. I'd like to point out that not all lesbian relationships have two vaginas, and it really sucks as a queer trans woman to hear this sort of generalization all the time.

Quote from: Vargo
Just realized Billy Oceans "get out of my dreams (and into my car)" is pretty blatantly about street harassment

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
  • Non-shitposts: 0
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »
the brooklynbruiser pic got removed from imgur, what is it brooklynbruiser, something sensitive.com?
rofl I have a sig

cis scum 1.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • theres no going back
  • Awards Took Down an Admin You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Drinkin' and Postin' Took Out 15 Furries in One Shot Took down a Goon Took down a Moderator Wounded in the line of posting. United Statesian Rethuglikkkan Better dead than red Classicist cold, dead hands
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »
+3

gapo make it an emote

you can't destroy our freedom, fatty. it's not a large pizza.

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
prob broke out skillet and bribed imgur staff with pancakes
rofl I have a sig

Saurons Scrotal Sack

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' Commie Deutscher 420
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
What's going on with his head anyway? What's with the 2/3 blushing thing?

themanhimself

• Citizen In Good Standing
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
+8

Ghostse

• 5000 Posters Club
  • ❨❨❨Tax-o-tron❩❩❩
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »

Let me know when the next SASS spinoff starts.

themanhimself

• Citizen In Good Standing
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
+1
more beet red

Harry D Greek

• Cishet White Male
  • http://i.imgur.com/U2hZuN9.png
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »

lol at the reverse-hoverhand
Quote from: a man with an asymmetrical haircut
This was posted on the page before, but I was only able to catch up on this thread now. I'd like to point out that not all lesbian relationships have two vaginas, and it really sucks as a queer trans woman to hear this sort of generalization all the time.

Quote from: Vargo
Just realized Billy Oceans "get out of my dreams (and into my car)" is pretty blatantly about street harassment

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
more beet red

black and white, but a red ginger face?
rofl I have a sig

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
This is definitely representative of an SJW internet toughguy
rofl I have a sig

New Feminist Jihad

• Unperson
  • Awards Рашка Classicist Odin and Thor Ave Maria
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
It looks like their heads are attached in the cropped image...it could use some editing I think.

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
It looks like their heads are attached in the cropped image...it could use some editing I think.

I like that part
rofl I have a sig

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian Sasstronaut TNE Veteran Bah Jaysus!
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
Since BrooklynBruiser wants his pic removed from the internet, we are going to immortalize him as a smiley. See the poll up top. What should his smiley signify?

:tviv:

Soup Her Pooper

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Step Aside put that shit back up in thread. :nixon:
rofl I have a sig

cis scum 1.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • theres no going back
    • Awards

MY FURSONOUNS

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
What's going on with his head anyway? What's with the 2/3 blushing thing?

hypertension/having pork gravy for blood
Quote from: Aleph Null
Four months on hormones and I swear that my crotch sweat smells different.

Fade to Vanilla

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
  • Kinda patronizing and cunty
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
if you want different BBruisers, there are loads (see whut i did thar?)

(wtf?  is he 12? his face is almost a perfect oval)

(this one is particularly disgusting, but the resolution sucks so it may be no good)

(oh noes!  posing with that hate-monger stephen fry?)

(#1: why is he wearing those headphones?  #2: he looks as if gravitational collapse is about to take over and form the BrooklynBlackHole, #3: loving those foster grant's, fatty)

edit: that bottom one is just nasty.  he's so fat, the other guy can't get his arm around him, and look at the fatty fatfatfat knuckles.  holy shit, the local deli could carve him thin and make him last for a year.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:11:00 PM by Fade to Vanilla »

Goddamnit E/N.

cis scum 1.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • theres no going back
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »
post everything you got itt thanks if you got links and shit pm me

Fade to Vanilla

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
  • Kinda patronizing and cunty
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »
post everything you got itt thanks if you got links and shit pm me

sorry boss, nothing special.  these were in the "post your picture" in pyf and BB was already on the radar as "contemptible faggot of the year" candidate.  i didn't do much digging tho.

you know, it wouldn't surprise me if  he's gone and deleted those images...

Goddamnit E/N.