;

Author Topic: I FUCKING HATE SCIENCE!  (Read 1014 times)

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Good luck Reality. Hope this turns out alright.
    • Awards
I FUCKING HATE SCIENCE!
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
+10
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/08/evolutionary_psychology_is_the_most_obvious_example_of_how_science_is_flawed.html

Stop Equating “Science” With Truth
Evolutionary psychology is just the most obvious example of science’s flaws.

By Chanda Prescod-Weinstein

It’s 2017, and people are still debating whether or not women are intellectually inferior to men, and whether we are entitled to a workplace that isn’t toxic to people simply based on their gender and sex. The Google employee memo about the apparent harms of diversity policies in Silicon Valley is both a shocking news story for the general public and for many women and gender minorities—especially of color—working in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine, a banal sign of normalcy.

At least science is helping us make progress, right? Science is sold to us as an almost holy, objective pursuit: a pure endeavor, a way of pursuing truth and only truth. As a high school senior planning to study physics and astronomy in college, I was thoroughly convinced that solving quantum gravity would trickle down to improved human relations.  Of course, I was adorably naïve about both the difficulty that quantum gravity presented us (we’ve made little progress in the 18 years since I started university) and about the relationship between science and humanity’s various imperfections.

My education as a scientist did little to disabuse me of this simple view of science as a great unifier, as an objective means of distilling information. When skeptical members of my family argued that physics was dangerous because of nuclear weapons, I pointed out that it wasn’t science that was the problem but rather how people used it. But nowhere is it more evident that this perspective is flawed than when we consider the uses and abuses of evolutionary biology and its sibling, evolutionary psychology.

It is impossible to consider this field of science without grappling with the flaws of the institution—and of the deification—of science itself. For example: It was argued to me this week that the Google memo failed to constitute hostile behavior because it cited peer-reviewed articles that suggest women have different brains. The well-known scientist who made this comment to me is both a woman and someone who knows quite well that “peer-reviewed” and “correct” are not interchangeable terms. This brings us to the question that many have grappled with this week. It’s 2017, and to some extent scientific literature still supports a patriarchal view that ranks a man’s intellect above a woman’s.

It’s easy to end up in an endless loop of using our prodigious scientific skills to carefully debunk the shoddy science that props up this argument. This is important and valuable work, but it’s also worth considering why this loop exists at all. Science’s greatest myth is that it doesn’t encode bias and is always self-correcting. In fact, science has often made its living from encoding and justifying bias, and refusing to do anything about the fact that the data says something’s wrong.

Most saliently in the context of the Google memo, our scientific educations almost never talk about the invention of whiteness and the invention of race in tandem with the early scientific method which placed a high value on taxonomies—which unsurprisingly and almost certainly not coincidentally supported prevailing social views. The standard history of science that is taught to budding scientists is that during the Enlightenment, Europe went from the dark ages to, well, being enlightened by a more progressive mindset characterized by objective “science.” It is the rare scientific education that includes a simultaneous conversation about the rise of violent, imperialist globalization during the same time period. Very few curricula acknowledge that some European scientific “discoveries” were in fact collations of borrowed indigenous knowledge. And far too many universally call technology progress while failing to acknowledge that it has left us in a dangerously warmed climate.

I'm going to pause for a second to point out that the dark ages and the global colonization occurred nearly 500 years apart.

Much of the science that resulted from this system, conducted primarily by white men, is what helped teach us that women were the inferior sex. Racial taxonomies conveniently confirmed that enslaving African people was a perfectly reasonable behavior since, as Thomas Jefferson put it, black people were “inferior to the whites in the endowments of body and mind.” Of course, this apparent inferiority never stopped Jefferson from repeatedly raping his wife’s half-sister, Sally Hemings, herself a product of rape. Jefferson is remembered as a great thinker, but when one reads his writing about race, it becomes immediately evident that rather than being much of a scientist, he was a biased white supremacist who hid behind science as a shield.

The problem is that science was just the shield he needed in the 18th century, and unfortunately, it seems that it continues to function that way today. In other words, pseudoscience has always been a core feature of post-Enlightenment scientific knowledge and it remains that way because scientists refuse to integrate contemporary science, technology, and society studies research into university curricula. And so too many of us get out of school and end up in a world where we are suddenly forced to grapple with the reality of how science, in practice, is not as objective as we hoped. Enough of us have heard a man, sometimes the president of our college, sometimes our research adviser, express the view that women’s brains “just work differently” and “aren’t suited to technical skills” the way men’s are. Nonbinary people don’t exist, and transgender people are de-normalized in these narratives. Women of color listen to white women normalize Europe as the birthplace of scientific intelligence while telling us that our curly hair isn’t professional-looking.

Senior men who we would hope could be mentors turn out to be our sexual harassers, and with some frequency, senior women tell us to suck it up and lean in, rather than helping us.

Last month, a study of women in astronomy and planetary science led by University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign professor Kathryn Clancy found that women of color especially suffer from hostile working environments. In June, I contributed to a Nature Astronomy feature on gender discrimination in astronomy. As someone on Twitter reminded me last week when I posted a new paper on particle physics, because the authors of the paper are women, based on the results of one featured study in that Nature Astronomy issue, we can expect 10 percent fewer citations.

Google bro would argue that we ought to consider the possibility that white women and racial minorities simply produce lower-quality work, which is why we struggle to be recognized as competent knowledge producers. It’s time to turn the tables on this debate. Rather than leaning in and trying endlessly to prove our humanity and value, people like him should have to prove that our inferiority is the problem. Eliminate structural biases in education, health care, housing, and salaries that favor white men and see if we fail. Run the experiment. Be a scientist about it.

Men Have Always Used 'Science' to Explain Why They're Better Than Women
By Rae Paoletta

On Saturday, Gizmodo published a 10-page-long screed written by Google software engineer James Damore blasting the company’s diversity policies. In the now-viral document entitled “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber,” Damore asserts that women are biologically ill-equipped to handle the rigors of the tech industry. The encouraging news is that Damore has now been fired from Google, according to multiple news reports. Sadly, the ideas espoused in his letter echo the same pseudoscience peddled by eugenicists and white supremacists for decades—and they’re unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

Many ideas embraced by this ex-Google employee are based largely on the so-called conclusions of evolutionary psychology, a field premised on the idea that our psychological traits are the product of the same natural selection that shaped early human evolution. In practice, evolutionary psychology has been used to justify everything from rape to claims that certain groups of people are inherently more intelligent than others. It has also been criticized for shoddy methodology, ignoring cultural context, and “leaping to conclusions on inadequate evidence.” Evolutionary psychologists have tried to use their science to determine the best way to seduce women, which they think can be gamed out like Battleship.

The field’s fraught and controversial history didn’t stop Damore from espousing some evolutionary psych of his own, to justify the underrepresentation of women at an enormous technology company.

“On average, men and women biologically differ in many ways,” Damore wrote. “These differences aren’t just socially constructed because [for one thing] they often have clear biological causes and links to prenatal testosterone...they’re exactly what we would predict from an evolutionary psychology perspective.”

Citing something like “prenatal testosterone” to justify why more men occupy leadership positions in tech reads like classic evolutionary psychology: using a vaguely scientific (and controversial) concept to explain an incredibly complex, multifaceted issue. But in evolutionary psychology, many differences between genders in our society (including deep inequities) can be neatly explained away by hard-wired differences in in our brains.

“We need to stop assuming that gender gaps imply sexism,” Damore wrote, citing pseudoscientific claims that men get paid more because they have a “higher drive for status” instead of the overwhelming evidence that gender-based discrimination is closely linked to the wage gap.

Of course, using “science” to justify male superiority is much older than anything espoused by evolutionary psychologists. The idea that women are less psychologically stable—or more, bluntly, “hysterical”—has been around at least since Hippocrates wrote about it in the 5th century BCE. As Freud and his contemporaries later posited, women’s biology explained their “inherent” insanity. Or, as this particular Google employee called it, their neuroticism.

“Women, on average, have more neuroticism (higher anxiety, lower stress tolerance),” Damore wrote. “This may contribute to the higher levels of anxiety women report on Googlegeist and to the lower number of women in high stress jobs.”

It’s true that women are more likely than men to be anxious, but they’re also more likely to have experienced physical and emotional abuse, both of which contribute to anxiety, for obvious reasons. So the claim that women are “neurotic” without any context as to why—possibly some differences in brain chemistry, but also, just maybe, greater levels of sexual harassment and social isolation in the workplace—is misleading and frankly, insulting.

Fuck the evidence, did you consider "just maybe"?

And while Damore wasn’t so extreme as to claim women should be extirpated from the tech world, some of his pseudoscientific notions about why men are inherently better suited to certain jobs ring strongly of eugenics, a school of thinking premised on the idea that certain groups are biologically superior to others. Damore argues that “highly heritable” personality traits (including higher “agreeableness” and a preference for “artistic” jobs among women) are responsible for gender gaps in tech, ignoring cultural explanations. By this logic, attempting to level the playing field for women is thus misguided—we should be selecting candidates (read: men) with the most desirable traits for high-stress, technically-demanding jobs.

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that some evolutionary psychologists have expressed support for the idea of modern eugenics projects. While technology changes and the “science” evolves, the inclination to use biological differences as an excuse for discrimination remains the same. And while the Google screed focused largely on gender, many of these same arguments have been used to justify racism.

“I would argue in fact that the whole idea of whiteness and white supremacy wouldn’t exist without science,” Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein, a theoretical astrophysicist at the University of Washington, told Gizmodo, noting that the European Enlightenment spawned the (now widely-debunked) field of scientific racism.

As much as the Google employee’s anti-diversity letter reeks of centuries-old junk science, it’s important to emphasize that even today women, non-binary people, and people of color in STEM fields are still regularly confronted with bigoted attitudes wrapped in a guise of “biology.” All too often, these people fear being blacklisted within their industry if they speak out against workplace discrimination.

Oddly enough, the same white men who dominate tech industry in numbers seem to have convinced themselves they’re the ones whose status in the workplace is being threatened. Ironically—as Damore’s manifesto and the subsequent fallout now illustrate—they may be their own worst enemy.

Ossipago

• Person Of Interest
    • Awards
Re: I FUCKING HATE SCIENCE!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:25 AM »
+11
denial of the application of evolution to human beings, we're there, the left are evolution-deniers, yeeeesss

anti-Semitic graphs

• Unperson
  • Awards Fascist Inshallah! Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
+17
Great insights as always from the ever thoughtful CHANDA WEINSTEIN.

sperg rush

• Unperson
  • Awards Fascist Deplorables Better dead than red You can't know!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:03:44 AM »
+14
It’s 2017

I stopped taking her seriously here.

Shakebox

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut cold, dead hands Better dead than red Italian United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
+11
Now ask them their opinion on climate change.

Jim Acostas Impotent Rage

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
+13
I was about to say, so science isn't the end-all be all, except when it is?

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards old cold, dead hands Something Wonderful The Gentry Prepper Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting. Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
+10
She has no reason to be concerned about atmospheric oxygen saturation. She'll get plenty.
Yes, that is me on my Rocket Cycle with my enormous penis.

Obese and Triggered

• Cishet White Male
  • Prince Regent of the Incelibate Cucked Kingdom
  • Awards Sasstronaut Fucked a lesbian United Statesian Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red cold, dead hands old Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
+11
Their smaller, womanly brains can't cope with all the science in that Google memo.

Virtue Signalman First Class

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Better dead than red old Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Fuck you, dad!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
+5
It's shameful that an astrophysicist would write such absolute nonsense.

How are these people getting their degrees if they don't believe in basic scientific principles and put feelings over facts?
But I do often point out that I write both science fiction and fantasy. It’s just that the science fiction is usually titled ‘technical proposal’ and the fantasy is titled ‘budget proposal.’

- Jordin Kare

Dave Hedgehog

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Sit upon thy spiky steed for glorious crusade!
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon old Swear on me mum m8
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
LOL using evolutionary psychology in the same sentence as science. Phoney academics.

The Bad Goy

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
+8
Bill Nye and some dumpy actress can declare "gender is a spectrum" as "science" so am I still a bigot for questioning them?

Backpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Better dead than red cold, dead hands Texan Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
+9
I was about to say, so science isn't the end-all be all, except when it is?

"G-d damn it, goyim, stop using scientific studies to back up your hate arguments!"
Quote from: George Lincoln Rockwell
The Conservatives have a slogan which I think is despicable and defeatist: "It's better to be dead than red." And the Commies and Liberals have a slogan which is even worse, it's treason, they say: "It's better to be red than dead." We say this: "You don't have to be Red and you don't have to be Dead. Not dead. Not Red. Dead Reds"

Tariq Aziz

• Domestic Threat
  • NOT AGAIN
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
+9
Now ask them their opinion on climate change.

"the science is settled"

Hollywood Shabat Goy Yaro

• Cishet White Male
  • ギューン野郎
  • Awards Deplorables Generation Identitaire Californian Anonymous Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red Scrooge 420
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
+13
Ask these girls to shower with big burly rape happy MTF troons since the science is settled on gender.

I just wanted to live a normal life.  Have a wife and kids, be a father.  But then my other side tells me that I want to get breast and butt implants and get a job working as a plus size model for Victoria's Secret.

Jim Acostas Impotent Rage

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
+1
What's the story behind that chick's song on Bill Nye's show? Did she write that herself? Did she ask to do it? I don't even know who she is.  :jesse:

korean walmart bathroom blumpkin

• Cishet White Male
  • JIDF
  • popping shekels
  • Awards Deplorables Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting. 420
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
+7
Women so ashamed of their femininity they can't accept not being men in tit-and-vagoo skinsuits. Lady who thinks an empirical methodology will lay bare all the wondrous truths of universe suddenly getting second thoughts about the whole thing when it hits her biology is a part of nature. :sad:

Tbf evolutionary psychology is garbage.

I want to personally apologize to every reader who was hurt by the Sausage Party review. I failed you as a senior editor of this website and I failed you as an ally. I am wholly sorry for the pain and anger I caused you. I offer you no justification. I was blinded by my own whiteness existing inside a system of white supremacy. I must do better. I will do better.

ompb

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »
She has no reason to be concerned about atmospheric oxygen saturation. She'll get plenty.

:tom:

Michael Vick

• Domestic Threat
  • Awards Fascist Deplorables Scrooge You can't know! Classicist Texan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:29:32 AM »
+1

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Sasstronaut United Statesian Bah Jaysus!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »
+2

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
+8
I am reminded of a video I watched on biological engineering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwZQC-oR81g
The video isn't too engaging but it does talk about some interesting concepts about ethics and morality of designer babies. The video makes me realize that we can change the face of humanity and we will potentially reach a scientific renaissance. Then I read shit like this written by affirmative action academics and realize that not only is there a real anti science push from the left but women should have been kept as breeding stock and have the right to vote revoked.
Message me when the next SASS clone gets started

armchair nazi

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:49 PM »
+7
we are about to find out how serious MY BODY MY RIGHTS the left truly is

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Enemy Of The State
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards United Statesian Better dead than red Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 12:38:03 AM »
+2
Women so ashamed of their femininity they can't accept not being men in tit-and-vagoo skinsuits. Lady who thinks an empirical methodology will lay bare all the wondrous truths of universe suddenly getting second thoughts about the whole thing when it hits her biology is a part of nature. :sad:

Tbf evolutionary psychology is garbage.

I think its retarded to suggest that humanity hasn't had a hand in its own evolution.  Women apply massive sexual selection, generally driven by culture, on the men and their ability to succeed within the given culture.  The Breitbart interview with the "Emmett" google engineer touched on this.  Some of its culture, some of its evolution.  The two drive each other.

Also i think we should double down on the left's idiocy.  its not even about Trannies, if men and women are TOTALLY THE SAME NO DIFF AMIRITE? the showers and bathrooms should be straight up co-ed.