;

Author Topic: Dynamite Entertainment goes full shitlib pozzes up Vampirella & others  (Read 71142 times)

Fuck Glitterbomber

• Unperson
  • Hope 'n Change
  • Awards Deplorables Boy Scout Anonymous Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut The party of compassion Better dead than red
    • Awards
Re: Dynamite Entertainment goes full shitlib pozzes up Vampirella & others
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »
+1
I think Gail Simone registered and posted on SA but left after being creeped out by the user-base.
SA? She ever so briefly posted on SASS! I think she commented that the two communities were a weird reflection of each-other or something to that effect.

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
+2
I thought she was banned for signing her posts.

Ghostse

• 5000 Posters Club
  • ❨❨❨Tax-o-tron❩❩❩
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
+2
I think Gail Simone registered and posted on SA but left after being creeped out by the user-base.

That was Kate Beaton.
Let me know when the next SASS spinoff starts.

Blob Dylan | Blood on the 'Tax

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables Texan Fascist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Punk's not dead! Classicist Scientologist Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
+14
celebrities on something awful always failed because the userbase (and mods especially) had a big collective ego that was easily threatened. like, if obama had actually done an AMA on SA he would have had to genuflect to the gay whims of mods
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:04:14 AM by NOW that's feminisim VOLUME 5 »

food desert

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
+8
celebrities on something awful always failed because the userbase (and mods especially) had a big collective ego that was easily threatened. like, if obama had actually done an AMA on SA he would have had to genuflect to the gay whims of mods.

Yeah, so? He does that all the time.

Trump is the New Norma

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
+2
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:45:04 PM by Trump is the New Norma »

[SWOLE]Grode Jar

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Shitlord
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Metal Fan Deplorables Drinkin' and Postin' United Statesian Better dead than red The Gentry Goon or Ex-Goon old Scrooge Texan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand!
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
+1
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/marvel-introduces-female-wolverine-in-comics-194637245.html

Wolverine is now going to be a woman.

:lolno: 

I wonder how long it's going to be before they try and make Batman or Superman a woman with the exact same name?  I give it 5 years max.

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Last known picture of Ashli Kyanka.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
+2
I wonder how long it's going to be before they try and make Batman or Superman a woman with the exact same name?  I give it 5 years max.

Marvel has a rainbow coalition of Spider-mans, but hasn't replaced Spider-man himself because he's still a really popular character.  I imagine Batman is in the same boat.  You'll have your gay Batman and your black Batman and your chick Batman running around, but normal Batman will never be replaced because people still buy his dumb books. 

(Captain America and Thor were always c-list heroes--and Wolverine's more of a 90s character)

tender of the rape garden

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
+4
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/marvel-introduces-female-wolverine-in-comics-194637245.html

Wolverine is now going to be a woman.

:lolno: 

That character (X-23) was created 11 years ago - she's not new.

And she's not even the first character who could be considered a "female wolverine".

internet culture

• Cishet White Male
  • cyber-society scholar
  • Awards Autistic Fuck you, dad! Inshallah! Goon or Ex-Goon You can't know! Sasstronaut Anonymous
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
+4
I actually never read anything she did (closest I got was reading a bit of Deadpool, never got far enough to reach her stories) but Gail Simone seems like she used to be pretty normal and just steadily changed as ivory-tower "check your privilege cis biggot" feminism worked its way out of academic spaces and into (upper-class, white) mainstream spaces. Not really a specific "IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW" born-again moment as much as just being a well-off liberal woman agreeing with whatever her friends say.

She actually defended sexualized super-heroine designs in some situations (when a friend got targeted, shock horror) but something tell me she wouldn't stand up to one of the industry celebs in pushing that same view. It's easy to respond to literal children on Tumblr and say "hey you shouldn't judge a character by her design she's not just a walking pair of boobs you know ;)" but I never see e-celebs call each other out on the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:08:02 PM by internet culture »

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Last known picture of Ashli Kyanka.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
+5
I actually never read anything she did (closest I got was reading a bit of Deadpool, never got far enough to reach her stories) but Gail Simone seems like she used to be pretty normal and just steadily changed as ivory-tower "check your privilege cis biggot" feminism worked its way out of academic spaces and into (upper-class, white) mainstream spaces.

Don't forget that Simone coined the term "fridging," which has reached Bedchel Test levels of obnoxiousness as evidence that comics/movies/video games are misogynist.  She has also never written a book starring a male character, which makes me think she has always had some weird hangups about men. 

How she ended up at a 3rd rate producer making titty books for perverts after a decade being one of DC's most celebrated writers, I'll never know.  But that kind of fall from grace probably fucked up her worldview a bit, too.

Mace Dindu

• Enemy Of The State
  • Anything is fart if you say it is
  • Awards Strayan Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
It's interesting to see this weird dichotomy of liberalism and LGBT rights mashed up with good old Christian puritanism with SJW comics.  They'd have a meltdown over good old Robert Crumb's comics:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/8e526b9ce8c461485e546ed005ec3ca8/tumblr_mkvivvOOBa1s9v01jo1_1280.png (not sfw)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2d/7e/49/2d7e4996fbe7f29a9c8b78620710193a.jpg (also nsfw)

Also European comics are the shit.

A guy wrote an article for The Guardian or some other super left wing newspaper basically saying "minimalist hipster comics suck, I miss when 'indie comics' meant fun stuff like R. Crumb's work" and the twitter cartoonist crowd went fucking crazy over it admitting how much they hate any art that's not nonthreatening SWPL ukulele bullshit.

Franzetta was also a great artist and the polar opposite of hipster comic art, completely unironic "here's what I think kicks ass >:'D" stuff with lots of technical skill.

For what it's worth, most concept artists still seem to admire Frazetta and I'd say 99% of them would cite him as an influence. The idea of "holy shit I'm gonna paint cool stuff" is still alive and well among that section of the industry it seems.

internet culture

• Cishet White Male
  • cyber-society scholar
  • Awards Autistic Fuck you, dad! Inshallah! Goon or Ex-Goon You can't know! Sasstronaut Anonymous
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 04:52:32 AM »
+6
It's interesting to see this weird dichotomy of liberalism and LGBT rights mashed up with good old Christian puritanism with SJW comics.  They'd have a meltdown over good old Robert Crumb's comics:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/8e526b9ce8c461485e546ed005ec3ca8/tumblr_mkvivvOOBa1s9v01jo1_1280.png (not sfw)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2d/7e/49/2d7e4996fbe7f29a9c8b78620710193a.jpg (also nsfw)

Also European comics are the shit.

A guy wrote an article for The Guardian or some other super left wing newspaper basically saying "minimalist hipster comics suck, I miss when 'indie comics' meant fun stuff like R. Crumb's work" and the twitter cartoonist crowd went fucking crazy over it admitting how much they hate any art that's not nonthreatening SWPL ukulele bullshit.

Franzetta was also a great artist and the polar opposite of hipster comic art, completely unironic "here's what I think kicks ass >:'D" stuff with lots of technical skill.

For what it's worth, most concept artists still seem to admire Frazetta and I'd say 99% of them would cite him as an influence. The idea of "holy shit I'm gonna paint cool stuff" is still alive and well among that section of the industry it seems.

I dunno about concept art for other mediums since googling "concept art" mostly just gives you video game art, but the video game ones at least are pretty boring. Still way better than hipsters who draw in an "ironic" way to hide their lack of skill, but generally the job seems inundated with try-hard "MY ART IS MATURE AND SERIOUS, VIDEO GAMES AREN'T FOR KIDS, FUCK YOU DAD" types who only use boring dark colors to show how moody and adult their drawings are (and also likely because they HAVE to do that since that's what "hardcore" video games look like, see The Last of Us):

4chan /ic/ or conceptart.org types likely appreciate Frazetta because he drew solid anatomical detailed stuff, but they don't seem to go deeper in that appreciation. Even when the drawing is meant to have a specific atmospheric idea to it like "the bittersweet melancholy of nature peering through the soulless industry of MAN >:'C" it has terrible color choices, under the try-hard "darkness" you see their thoughtless and unobservant understanding of color that boils down to "trees are brown leaves are green :I" [picks green and brown from color wheel]

Frazetta's subject matter was stuff you'd get wedgied and stuffed into a locker for liking, but he wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone; he gave himself the freedom to use all kinds of atmospheric color schemes, while also having the knowledge and life drawing experience to utilize them effectively.

Look at how elaborately textured that rock formation is. You can find more interesting colors and tones on a single material in one of his paintings than you can in the entirety of a "beautiful" work by the typical video game concept artist.

This isn't even a matter of 'realism vs stylization' since real life is full of interesting tones:

The color schemes of Frazetta are actually closer to those of historically-renowned painters, despite not trying as hard as the concept art manchildren to be "mature, knowing, understated". You never see shitty M-rated video game colors in the work of Da Vinci or François-Guillaume Ménageot or whoever.

Works considered to be part of the artistic movement of "realism" have observant color schemes based upon the study of life and not what dorks think will make their work somber and thus "mature". Only self hating nerds think "mature" is a specific, major goal to strive for in art.

Mace Dindu

• Enemy Of The State
  • Awards Strayan Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 07:00:17 AM »
+3
Video game concept art is usually limited by time, and there's a definite "entertainment style" that is very much in vogue among video game and film art. Also it's a concept. You're using it to illustrate a point and communicate a design to someone who needs to later go on and model/rig/build the thing you're painting. Of course it won't have the same detail as a Frazetta painting. nevermind the fact that Frazetta was a fucking master.

Also, getting all autistic about "DURR DA MATURE COLOUR SCHEME" is fucking gay, and you're a god damn retard for thinking it's about the work being considered "mature". The product is supposed to have a certain mood, and your job as an artist is to deliver on that.

Mace Dindu

• Enemy Of The State
  • Awards Strayan Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 07:03:48 AM »
+4
also

"heh, i'll post timeless, celebrated works of art and compare it to some schmuck making a decent wage to draw pictures for video games. that'll show him.  :smug: "

It's like comparing any sort of [master] to some average guy just doing his thing. Of course it won't look as good in comparison. These guys are churning out work way faster than any master ever had to think about doing. What a fucking retarded comparison.

amulet of faggotry +2

• Unperson
  • Alconauts
  • Awards Sasstronaut Scrooge On Pohjolan hangissa meill' isänmaa The Gentry old
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
+4
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggAXSv53Qc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggAXSv53Qc</a>

internet culture

• Cishet White Male
  • cyber-society scholar
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
+2
e: holy shit this 888 was not a good idea
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:41:02 PM by internet culture »

mustard gas effect

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
+2

Female Thor and Black Captain America

Aran

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »
That's Falcon, retard

mustard gas effect

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »
+1
That's Falcon, retard

The Falcon is the new Captain America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_%28comics%29

The Falcon (Sam Wilson) is a fictional superhero that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist Gene Colan, and introduced in Captain America #117 (Sept. 1969), the character is mainstream comics' first African-American superhero.[1] Falcon uses mechanical wings to fly and has limited telepathic and empathic control over birds. Following Steve Rogers' retirement, Sam Wilson becomes the newest Captain America and leader of the Avengers.

Aran

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »
+6
That's Falcon, retard

The Falcon is the new Captain America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_%28comics%29

The Falcon (Sam Wilson) is a fictional superhero that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist Gene Colan, and introduced in Captain America #117 (Sept. 1969), the character is mainstream comics' first African-American superhero.[1] Falcon uses mechanical wings to fly and has limited telepathic and empathic control over birds. Following Steve Rogers' retirement, Sam Wilson becomes the newest Captain America and leader of the Avengers.

I don't like this reality can we try another

Sailor Troon

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »
+2

Female Thor and Black Captain America

Jesus Marvel could not pander any harder if they tried.

DC already beat them to the interracial thing a decade ago with black Green Lantern and Hawkgirl falling in love and becoming a couple, and that was in the goddamn Justice League cartoon that was watched by far more people and kids than people that would read a comic today. It's been ages since I've last seen the Justice League cartoon, but I remember that black Green Lantern and Hawkgirl actually felt like a relationship, not pandering to the PC crowd, like this shit is.

As a white male I

• Cishet White Male
  • Wouldn't you agree?
  • Awards Deplorables Wounded in the line of posting. Better dead than red Fascist Classicist On Pohjolan hangissa meill' isänmaa Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
+1

Lol, Marvel faggot. All faggot but Marvel especially.

Aran

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
+1
Deadpool confirmed weirdass fuckhead though so no shock there

SSOUL TRANN

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Plexxed
  • ♪♫ play that tranny card fat white boy ♫♪
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Wounded in the line of posting. old Better dead than red Libertarian United Statesian Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon Self-loathing The Gentry
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 01:27:08 PM »
+1
I don't know anything about comic books but I do know that "art" in the op sucks ass, even for cartoon art.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."