;

Author Topic: "I am Generation Y"  (Read 408620 times)

Procrustes

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
Re: "I am Generation Y"
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
i don't even own a pair of shorts :hank:

Yeah me either.  I jog in a banana hammock and ride my bike buck naked like a real man  :clint:

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red Strayan TNE Veteran
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:01 AM »
i don't even own a pair of shorts :hank:

Sorry to hear your girlfriend isn't a twin  :stewart: :ultlibrage: :dubya: :obama: :joe: :goonette: :unparsons: :madgoon: :algore: :clint: :lolno: :lilal: :jesse: :paul: :stewart: :christina: :geithner: :myecred: :smug: :allears: :rock: :johnwayne:

accshr

• Person Of Interest
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
this is what i get for letting my posting career and personal life cross swords :myecred:

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red Strayan TNE Veteran
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 03:22:22 AM »

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Machiavellian House Negro
  • Awards old TNE Veteran Anonymous Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
this is what i get for letting my posting career and personal life cross swords :myecred:
lol'd

wimpb

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
Echoing what 2nd class internet citizen said, my friend is having a great time in his final year of University at the moment.

He's getting calls from his other group members asking him to do their work for them. I mean they're just straight up asking him to do their portions of the work.

Hilariously, one of his group members is going to be deported for not doing his work. He's some international student who is going to fail for not meeting the bare minimum requirements he's going to be deported since he's on a student visa.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Bah Jaysus! United Statesian Sasstronaut TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
+2
Here's a story to give you hope in the Greatestest Generation: a story about how Gen Y is starting to learn financial responsibility due to the poor economy.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/living/millennials-shopping/index.html

A generations that resists 'buying in excess'

Entering the work force amid a tough economy and high unemployment has influenced the way a lot of millennials shop, said Kaufman, making them more selective about everything they purchase.

"This is not a generation of buying in excess," she said. "It's about mixing and matching and high and low-end pieces. Investment pieces are still key, but it's not the same throwaway culture as with previous generations."

Could it be that Gen Y is finally learning to be mature, responsible, and realistic in the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression? Could they perhaps learn the same hard lessons that made our grandparents so spendthrifty after the excesses of their childhoods in the 20s turned to the lean years of the 30s? Will they buy practical clothes based on durability that will last for years instead of wasting their money on trivials?
 :adam:

:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

Matthew Clairborne says his spending habits have become more conservative since he traded a decent salary in advertising last year for student loans to attend journalism school in New York. He and his friends aim for stylishness amid frugality, he said.

He went to college, graduated, GOT A GOOD PAYING JOB IN A CAREER FIELD and said fuck it and went back to school.
 :paul:

"A lot of us are in transition: unemployed, grad school, in jobs that don't relate to our degrees," said the 23-year-old Louisiana native, who describes his style as hipster-preppie.
:hank:

"We're in phases where we have to be economical and smart about our shopping habits."
 :stewart:

He considers himself a shrewd shopper with a good sense of where to get the best bang for his buck. H&M works for cardigans, sweaters and hats but not much else, he said. Otherwise, he rarely buys items at full price. Bloomingdale's tends to have great sales on shoes, and he subscribes to e-mail alerts from Zara, H&M and Macy's.

While he gets most of his style inspiration by walking the streets of New York, he did buy a cardigan online once while watching TV on his laptop. The network's website offered viewers the option to shop the looks they saw on actors with just one click. It matched a vintage denim vest he already had. [NOTE--THIS IS A MAN, NOT A WOMAN]

"I try to shop for versatility, because I'm on a tight budget. I want to be able to wear it to multiple events and occasions and transfer between seasons," he said. "Style is a recurring event, a process, a cycle. I never buy a complete outfit, because feel like it's a waste of money. I'll only wear it once."
:drew:

So he's a "conservative shopper" without a lot of money and lives a frugal life, but feels the need to have a defined "hipster-preppie style" and a philosophy that "style is a recurring event, a process, a cycle."

I'm sure this guy felt the same way:

Never change, Gen Y, never change.  :allears:

accshr

• Person Of Interest
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 06:16:39 AM »
I'd hardly say that a retarded fashionista twerpy Jew York faggot is a representative sample

but then again he lives there and Gen Y loves that east coast sodomite shit so :myecred:

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Awards old TNE Veteran Anonymous Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
+2
Here's a story to give you hope in the Greatestest Generation: a story about how Gen Y is starting to learn financial responsibility due to the poor economy.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/living/millennials-shopping/index.html

I'll only wear it once."

I was cool with handling the irony with my sperg gauge staying at a steady low setting.  It is obvious that that article was written either by another gen Yer, or someone sympathetic to their "plight."  But then I got to, "I'll only wear it once."

You cannot possibly know pain from being poor and still be able to utter this statement.  Life is not even close to being bad, even if unemployed and in grad school if you never have to wear the same outfit twice.  WTF is wrong with these guys? :clint:

I cannot benefit from these a-holes since they are skinny-fat and have pear-shaped bodies, but if you look in the size smalls in a platos closet of resale shop, this is true.  The stuff is worn once and not even washed.  Brand new looking.

LITERALLY A RAPIST

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Resident Physician and Expert Warlock
  • Awards cold, dead hands Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
imo the problem with the generation is that we haven't had it tough. The last time Americans were forced to actually go without something they wanted was rationing during WWII. they've never had to be in a physical conflict; a handful of students got pepper sprayed (oh no pain for 30 minutes) at UC Davis and you'd think it was Kent State all over again. Gen Y is all about the give part of the give-and-take relationship that everyone has with society. Perform a civil service and get a sweet ride through college? Nope sorry, I can't do that and society should pay for my journalism degree now now now! goonquotes.txt:

Quote from: Crazy Mike
Why pay to go to college when you can get paid to go to college? I'm beginning to think student loans are for suckers. Post 9/11 GI bill is getting me some sweet money while I get my MPA.

Quote from: Moridin920
Yeah all you have to do is go murder some brown people and maybe get killed yourself or see your friends blown up in a lightly armored humvee.

Quote from: Chinatown
Dying for nothing is for suckers. HTH.

Seriously though, congrats on not getting killed while on your quest to get to jump through another hoop of society/the jerb market/etc.

because as we all know every single person in the military is a dedicated front-line killing machine, even the x-ray technicians, dental assistants, metereologists, mechanics, and so on.

harden the fuck up and study something that you're interested in but isn't your favorite subject? oh heavens no.

Quote from: jassi007
The truth is are you going to have to borrow money? If so, go to school for a degree in science, technology, engineering, or math, and go to school as cheaply as possible while going to a quality school (no University of Phoenix Online) and the debt you incur will be worthwhile. Otherwise, find a tradeskill, learn computer programming yourself, go to a 2 year program at a community college, or get involved in healthcare somehow. If you don’t do those things and aren’t rich, you’re probably going to struggle for a long fucking time in this economy.

let the hysterics begin

Quote from: Reene
Ahh, the old "every degree that isn't engineering/CS/math is useless but if you have one of those you will be RICH FOREVER!" line goons love to trot out.

Those degrees are just as useless as any other BS and most BAs. At that level, all that matters is whether or not you have a four year degree, not what it's in.
:say:

yes, a degree in chemistry is just as useless as one in latino-american history.

Quote from: a palatal allophone
I love how goons always love to rage about how "useless" an English degree in particular is. Yeah, absorbing large amounts of information quickly, analyzing it, and expressing your thoughts on the topic clearly. That's never useful in the working world.

psst here's a secret: every major in college is required to do this.

Quote from: a palatal allophone
Also, young goons: For those of you who might be taking this "pfft don't waste your time on a liberal arts degree, learn a trade (wanking motion)" shit to heart, do serious research about the job market before you go down that path. That's been the go-to advice for so long that most of the trades are filled to capacity. See also: Non-grunt jobs in the military. Actually even fast food and retail, the jobs every crank points to when he wants to call young people lazy for being unemployed. There aren't nearly as many jobs in those fields as you'd think, and most of them don't want to hire anybody with a college education or who looks like they might know the word "union."

In conclusion we're all doomed, good luck!

the last sentence says everything. no you faggot, you're doomed. you picked a major no one gives a shit about and did the Gen Y thing of refusing to compromise and just kept on driving through. now somehow all of america is fucked and the dream is dead. no wonder occupy wall street was such a big hit, it let the dregs of society further convince themselves that the boogie man on wall street put them into that position and not their own shit choices.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:04:54 PM by 2nd Class Internet Citizen »

wimpb

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
I do wonder what the ratio of faggots/regular people is with this generation.

I mean, most of the people I associate with are decent, though obviously that's a selected sample. On the other hand, most of the random people I met at University seemed to be fuckwads and when I drive around these days it's really rare to see kids not wearing faggy clothes.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Bah Jaysus! United Statesian Sasstronaut TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
I'd hardly say that a retarded fashionista twerpy Jew York faggot is a representative sample

but then again he lives there and Gen Y loves that east coast sodomite shit so :myecred:

Ah, but here's the thing. Clairborne isn't a Jewish name. And he may live in NYC, he may have chosen to go there, but he's from Louisiana.

So he may have chosen to emulate NYC gays/jews whatever, but more than likely he's what we now have to hold up as an example of a straight white male in modern society. He was NOT "born this way."

And that's even scarier.
 :swanson:

brolonium

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • The rarest pepe
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
+1
He's been brought up to act like a bitch and it's no surprise that he's acting like a bitch. The real character test is how long it takes before he realises he can't carry on acting like a bitch.

OSI

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • For Dixie's Land we'll make our stand
  • Awards TNE Veteran Arizona Classicist The Gentry cold, dead hands Prepper For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Soldier Fascist Ave Maria
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
He's been brought up to act like a bitch and it's no surprise that he's acting like a bitch. The real character test is how long it takes before he realises he can't carry on acting like a bitch.

Right after niggers get done yanking him out of his house and taking his loots, but then it'll be too late.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Libertarian For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Motorcyclist Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »

Right after niggers get done yanking him out of his house and taking his loots, but then it'll be too late.
That kind of person would apologize like the rape victim on the rooftop in Haiti.
Yes, that is me on my Rocket Cycle with my enormous penis.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »

That kind of person would apologize like the rape victim on the rooftop in Haiti.

Well the real problem is white male oppression, heh. Ouch, my vag hurts. Damn you, white male oppressors.

LITERALLY A RAPIST

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Awards cold, dead hands Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
+2

Well the real problem is white male oppression, heh. Ouch, my vag hurts. Damn you, white male oppressors.

no seriously, that's what she claimed. rocket's referring to an article where some middle-age SWPL white woman was giving aid in haiti and talked about how she always pitied the poor helpless noble negro. then she got raped (maybe gangraped?) by one on a rooftop in haiti and understood that he wasn't a bad person, he was just lashing out at the white society that did it to him.

edit: here it is-
http://www.race-talk.org/we-are-not-your-weapons-we-are-women/

By Amanda Kijera, civic journalist and activist in Haiti

Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I started to write what I thought was a very clever editorial about violence against women in Haiti. The case, I believed, was being overstated by women’s organizations in need of additional resources. Ever committed to preserving the dignity of Black men in a world which constantly stereotypes them as violent savages, I viewed this writing as yet one more opportunity to fight “the man” on behalf of my brothers. That night, before I could finish the piece, I was held on a rooftop in Haiti and raped repeatedly by one of the very men who I had spent the bulk of my life advocating for.

It hurt. The experience was almost more than I could bear. I begged him to stop. Afraid he would kill me, I pleaded with him to honor my commitment to Haiti, to him as a brother in the mutual struggle for an end to our common oppression, but to no avail. He didn’t care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. He told me to shut up, and then slapped me in the face. Overpowered, I gave up fighting halfway through the night.

Accepting the helplessness of my situation, I chucked aside the Haiti bracelet I had worn so proudly for over a year, along with it, my dreams of human liberation. Someone, I told myself, would always be bigger and stronger than me. As a woman, my place in life had been ascribed from birth. A Chinese proverb says that “women are like the grass, meant to be stepped on.” The thought comforted me at the same time that it made me cringe.

A dangerous thought. Others like it have derailed movements, discouraged consciousness and retarded progress for centuries. To accept it as truth signals the beginning of the end of a person–or community’s–life and ability to self-love. Resignation means inertia, and for the past two weeks I have inhabited its innards. My neighbors here include women from all over the world, but it’s the women of African descent, and particularly Haitian women, who move me to write now.

Truly, I have witnessed as a journalist and human rights advocate the many injustices inflicted upon Black men in this world. The pain, trauma and rage born of exploitation are terrors that I have grappled with every day of my life. They make one want to strike back, to fight rabidly for what is left of their personal dignity in the wake of such things. Black men have every right to the anger they feel in response to their position in the global hierarchy, but their anger is misdirected.

Women are not the source of their oppression; oppressive policies and the as-yet unaddressed white patriarchy which still dominates the global stage are. Because women–and particularly women of color–are forced to bear the brunt of the Black male response to the Black male plight, the international community and those nations who have benefitted from the oppression of colonized peoples have a responsibility to provide women with the protection that they need.

The United Nations, western women’s organizations and the Haitian government must immediately provide women in Haiti with the funding that they need to build domestic violence and rape crisis centers. Stop dividing Black families by distributing solely to women, which only exaggerates male resentment and frustration in Haiti. Provide both women and men with job training programs that would allow for self-sufficiency as opposed to continued dependency on whites. Lastly, admit that the issue of racial integration might still need addressing on an international level, and then find a way to address it!

I went to Haiti after the earthquake to empower Haitians to self-sufficiency. I went to remind them of the many great contributions that Afro-descendants have made to this world, and of their amazing resilience and strength as a people. Not once did I envision myself becoming a receptacle for a Black man’s rage at the white world, but that is what I became. While I take issue with my brother’s behavior, I’m grateful for the experience. It woke me up, made me understand on a deeper level the terror that my sisters deal with daily. This in hand, I feel comfortable in speaking for Haitian women, and for myself, in saying that we will not be your pawns, racially, politically, economically or otherwise.

We are women, not weapons of war. Thankfully, there are organizations here in Haiti who continues to fight for women’s human rights like, MADRE, SOFA and Enfofanm.

Rather than allowing myself to be used in such a fashion, and as opposed to submitting to the frustration and bitterness that can be born of such an experience, I choose to continue to love and educate instead. My brothers can be sensitized to women’s realities in Haiti and the world over if these are presented to them by using their own clashes with racism and oppression as a starting point.

They must be made to understand the dangerous likelihood of the oppressed becoming the oppressor if no shift in consciousnesses takes place and if no end to the cycle of trauma occurs. I intend to see that it does…by continuing to live and work fearlessly with justice in mind, through the creation of a safe space for women in Haiti and by creating programming for Haitian men that considers their needs, too. Weapons annihilate, dialogue bears fruit.

It’s the fruit I’m interested in now, no matter how strange or bruised it might appear.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:45:15 AM by 2nd Class Internet Citizen »

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

OSI

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • For Dixie's Land we'll make our stand
  • Awards TNE Veteran Arizona Classicist The Gentry cold, dead hands Prepper For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Soldier Fascist Ave Maria
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
"Hmm yes if we just explain gender and marxist theory to a subhuman nigger with an iq of 74 they will realize that their actions are incorrect. "

:christina:

There really ain't a goonsay big enough.  Is there a creature more delusional in the world than a fucking liberal?  "But I'm a Malcolm X Scholar" is the zaniest of catch phrases.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

"B-b-b-but I wrote about you on my fashion blog on the internet!"

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »
+1
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/10/ashley-greene-says-twilight-has-ruined-me/

Ashley Greene is a Gen Y actress from the Twilight movies. She wasn't born into celebrity, her father was an ex Marine who owns a concrete business. She wasn't a child star who grew up in Hollywood, though she did move there when she was 17 to be a star. To her credit, it worked. She hasn't done a whole helluva lot besides Twilight though and she's a bit worried about how to make ends meet with those movies ending:

With the end of the “Twilight” saga in sight, Ashley, who plays Alice Cullen, realizes it’s important to be smart about her finances.

“I’m lucky because my dad taught me to be frugal and save,” she said.

So far, so good. It's smart not to blow all your money on stupid shit when you suddenly become rich. It's good to admit...
...that getting the VIP treatment has its downsides.

“‘Twilight’ has ruined me,” she said. When this is all over, flying internationally is going to be very hard for me. It is just not worth it to buy a first-class ticket, because of the cost.”
:reagan:

She recognizes that it's dumb to spend your money on frivolous things just because you have it now, and you should save.  :swanson: would approve.

Except one little thing:
I’m lucky because my dad taught me to be frugal and save. And that’s important because I want to know that I don’t have to take an acting job for two or three years if I don’t want to and that I’ll still be able to make my house and car payments and buy food for my dogs.

I want to know that I don’t have to take an acting job for two or three years if I don’t want to
:rock:

So basically she wants to save her money so that she can stop working for 3 years if she doesn't feel like it and still live an upper middle class lifestyle in Hollywood. All the things you and I have to work 40-60 hours a week to afford, like food, shelter, a car, she just wants to be able to have but not have to work for.

Because see, she moved out to Hollywood when she was 17 and she knows all these famous people she met on Twilight. She sees how they live. And she's got bank from the first 5 movies or however many there were and hasn't had to work much since, so she's digging the idea of having a day structured around waking up around 10am, eating yogurt, going for a jog with the dog, meeting a friend for lunch, afternoon pilates, shopping, etc. Why break that up with work? Nobody she know is working all the time!

I get that being an actor is different from my job. And not all actors are lazy assholes.  :johnwayne::bronson:, and  :clint: were/are all actors. And it's a difficult lifestyle to juggle. You've got to work for a day or two or a week or two or a month or two and get that payday and live off that for the rest of the year. You might go months without working. That can be a logistical challenge.

But why the fuck would you, an up and coming actor who is in a series of hit movies, decide to not "take an acting job for two or three years"? Is it because the parts are beneath you? Why not ride your fame into a bigger career...use it before you lose it?

Can you imagine a baseball player who just was on a World Series team "taking 2-3 years off" and expecting to just come back and retain that momentum? :tuss:

But then, Gen Y.

wimpb

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
That might depend on the context and tone it was said in though. You might catch me saying something similar - not because I want to quit work for 2-3 years, but because I like to have money in the bank that would last me that long hypothetically. I wouldn't phrase it like that though.

Maybe I'm being too positive here.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Libertarian For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Motorcyclist Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
I work in the industry tangentially. She might mean that it could be that long before a role comes up that she should take. She can go the way of Jennifer Anniston or Matt LeBlanc. You can't take every shit job that comes down the line. You ruin your name.
Yes, that is me on my Rocket Cycle with my enormous penis.

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
+2
But then, Gen Y.

I read it more like how my Grandparents were.  They were kids during the depression and learned to save for when the bottom drops out.  For example, my great aunt was a kid during the depression, she had no money for college (plus she was a woman after all. back then you went to school to be a secretary and received approval from society), and she took a job as an accounting clerk in the 1930's.  Worked with the government in that path for her whole life, retired at 65, and lived til 90.  She had a few hundred grand left when she passed.  She had not worked in a quarter century, and made a small salary her whole life, but she was frugal and invested.  Not a cat lady, and lived nicely.  Repeat the same for her sister, my grandmother... worked for Illinois Bell her whole life.  Started as a switchboard operator.  Retired in the 80's at 67 an some clerical job with the Bell, and lived to 90 like her sister.  Bought a house with cash in AZ at 69 years old, and lived off of her stock dividends and social security in an upscale retirement community in single family homes at the base of the Catalina Mountains.  My great aunt never married.  So no, did did it on her own.  My grandmother was divorced in her early forties and had only what she went into the marriage with.  Never remarried.  So sweat of a man does not play into it.

I can repeat this story with just about any relative born into the depression.  They amaze me.

LITERALLY A RAPIST

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »
chances are their dream jobs weren't being accountants, clerks, or secretaries but they did it anyway because hey it's a living. in contrast, you've got the dregs of today who ~~~follow their dreams~~~ into being the next walter kronkite and getting a degree in journalism despite the blogosphere single-handedly destroying it. rather than do something like say accounting and have a reporting blog on the side, oh no it's all or nothing.