;

Author Topic: "I am Generation Y"  (Read 423552 times)

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old cold, dead hands Something Wonderful The Gentry Prepper Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
Re: "I am Generation Y"
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
A friend left his girlfriend because she wanted a career as a "fashion blogger." He's doing a better job raising their daughter than she is.
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Bah Jaysus! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Sasstronaut United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
chances are their dream jobs weren't being accountants, clerks, or secretaries but they did it anyway because hey it's a living. in contrast, you've got the dregs of today who ~~~follow their dreams~~~ into being the next walter kronkite and getting a degree in journalism despite the blogosphere single-handedly destroying it. rather than do something like say accounting and have a reporting blog on the side, oh no it's all or nothing.

To be fair to Gen Y, and yes sometimes even I will do that, the modern equivalent of those jobs...accountants, clerks, secretaries...that you could do with a small amount of training and then get a full time living wage on, don't exist today. Most jobs today are part time with zero bennies. A lot of full time jobs that college grads can get pay under $25k and can't approach giving them enough to pay back their massive loans on.

Of course, going to school to be a blogger or women's studies major when you grow up doesn't help things either. But parents, guidance counselors, and the for profit college machine are still pushing kids to go waste 4-6 years and $30-$100k on masturbatory degrees in "whatever you want because you can be whatever you want to be." Like choosing a career is like picking a Halloween costume.

Hell, a couple days ago you had  :obammy: at that debate telling some college kid who was legit afraid he had wasted the last few years and tons of money because he wouldn't get a job that no, you did the right thing investing in college! We need everyone to go to college! :tuss:

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Machiavellian House Negro
  • Awards old Anonymous Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Something Wonderful Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
the modern equivalent of those jobs...accountants, clerks, secretaries...that you could do with a small amount of training and then get a full time living wage on, don't exist today.

I'll give you that.  A a single scanner, printer, and laptop (for processing power) have replaced floors and floors of clerks.  Must of those jobs were to move paper, which really don't exist anymore.  Even tellers are being phased out by smartphones.

Fun fact which none of you could give a shit less about:  I started a part time job at 15 working for the largest bank in the midwest at the time.  I wore a smock prevent wearing the carbon paper that was used for everything.  I processed credit car payments by hand.  There was only a single CRT terminal for each team, and we got to smoke at our desks all day long.  What smoke break?  Pssht. :smug:  The data center was all tape and require hand mounting.  And the printing was done on sight by a massive (25 foot long and six foot tall) lazer printer that "spit" the letters on the page.  About 500 employees at the time.  All of them replaced by machines by 1994.

And I am not that old.  Still in my thirties. :myecred:

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Bah Jaysus! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Sasstronaut United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
Thought I'd dredge up this old chestnut of a thread for a new relevant thing I done seen. It was on Jezebel, on some article about a kid who quit her job by making a lulzy video (she quit because it wasn't "fulfilling" anymore).
http://jezebel.com/woman-quits-job-in-the-most-awesome-and-meta-way-ever-1428793383?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=monday

This is from the comments:
Adultism (prejudice and discrimination against young people) is one of the few acceptable forms of oppression and discrimination left in our society and I'm seeing it rampant here. Knocking/mocking this person's experience ("it's only been two years, pah!"), 'oldsplaining' (like mansplaining, but when an older person talks down to a younger person as if they don't know anything), just flat out insulting her because of her demographic... these are all tactics that invalidate her lived experience and that would be out of line if, say, they were about her being female. Kinda rude and shitty. Just sayin.

lol what?

Yeah it's something I was tuned into when I worked at a youth development non-profit and it was pretty eye-opening. A primer: https://youthbuild.org/sites/youthbui... <— that's written more about teenagers rather than young adults, but the idea is still the same. It's acceptable to talk down to young people in a way that would be unacceptable if you were addressing a peer.

https://youthbuild.org/sites/youthbuild.org/files/kb_item/2011/11/792/UnderstandingAdultism.pdf

:clint:

So now your experience means nothing, and it's not supposed to give you any advantages over the vibrant YOUNG. How dare you talk to them from a position of respect and knowledge?

god i hope this is real. and i hope that she doesn't get shat on for doing this, and i hope that ONE DAY MY LITTLE CHILDREN WILL WORK IN A JOB NOT DEFINED BY THE SHITTY ECONOMY BUT BY THE PASSION IN THEIR HEARTS (i mean me. i'm talking about me.)
:judy:

Aran

• Cishet White Male
  • Paedofinder General
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
I just want to punch every teenager I meet. Is that too much to ask?

40k Scrotal Sacks

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' Deutscher Commie 420
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
Teenagers aren't even GenY anymore I believe. It's roughly 81-90.

But punching teens is always advised, regardless of their generation.

Aran

• Cishet White Male
  • Paedofinder General
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
Teenagers aren't even GenY anymore I believe. It's roughly 81-90.

But punching teens is always advised, regardless of their generation.

Still teens to me.

(And I was born in '86. I was raised by my grandparents; I don't relate to people my age when they talk about all this fucking participation trophy, arranged playdates bullshit)

pet nigger felon

• Cishet White Male
  • JIDF
  • popping shekels
  • Awards Deplorables Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist 420 Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
So is any kind of advice automatically condescending now? Adultism. Jesus Christ.  :tuss:

I want to personally apologize to every reader who was hurt by the Sausage Party review. I failed you as a senior editor of this website and I failed you as an ally. I am wholly sorry for the pain and anger I caused you. I offer you no justification. I was blinded by my own whiteness existing inside a system of white supremacy. I must do better. I will do better.

SSOUL TRANN

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Plexxed
  • ♪♫ play that tranny card fat white boy ♫♪
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Wounded in the line of posting. old United Statesian Better dead than red Libertarian The Gentry Self-loathing Goon or Ex-Goon Scrooge
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
It's pronounced Generation Whine.

Can't believe no one mentioned that in 3 pages  :depressedlesbian:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

MY FURSONOUNS

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
this is what happens when social promotion and participation ribbons are the norm

look upon what you have wrought, america   :bieber: :bieber: :bieber: :bieber: :bieber: :bieber:
Quote from: Aleph Null
Four months on hormones and I swear that my crotch sweat smells different.

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
Participation trophies and playdates is much more of a mid 90's thing. Unless you were born after 1990 you probably didn't encounter much of either.

Frond Desert

• Enemy Of The State
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
+1
How old are you fuckers? Am I the only person in their 20s here?

Edit: besides Aran, who doesn't count
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:38:59 PM by Friend Desert »

wimpb

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
+1
we got plenty of peeps in their 20s but this is the old people whine thread

Aran

• Cishet White Male
  • Paedofinder General
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
How old are you fuckers? Am I the only person in their 20s here?

Edit: besides Aran, who doesn't count

Hi!

Autistic Yankee

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Autistic The Gentry old cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Better dead than red Californian Boy Scout Scrooge
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
http://www.salon.com/2010/03/16/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/

Here is a good article for the thread.  Hipsters on food stamps and how best to eat gourmet foods while living off the government dime.  Here is a nice quote from the article.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.

“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

Think of it as the effect of a grinding recession crossed with the epicurean tastes of young people as obsessed with food as previous generations were with music and sex. Faced with lingering unemployment, 20- and 30-somethings with college degrees and foodie standards are shaking off old taboos about who should get government assistance and discovering that government benefits can indeed be used for just about anything edible, including wild-caught fish, organic asparagus and triple-crème cheese.

Can't you just taste that fucking entitlement complex on these two?
:lomo2:    :lomo2:  
Chomp!  I'll totally be motivated to get off my ass, overcome my social anxiety and fear of failure and go to college once Bernie Sanders gives it to me for free like a handy from Lomos mom in an Arby's Men's room-I mean a Gender Inclusive Rest Facility.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Im still just in my twenties and the gulf between me and 4-5 year juniors is huge. The poz. The poz.

Stroker Ace

• Enemy Of The State
  • Awards For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
+2
I'm fairly fucking young, especially compared to some of you geriatrics, and can vouch for the participation trophy bullshit not being an exaggeration.  I played hockey for a while and really never could skate worth a damn, so I was basically just put in to goon it up on D.  If you went into my parents' house though you'd think Wayne Gretzky himself grew-up there with the amount of trophies I got. 

There's two major interrelated problems with gen y in my experience.  First there's the whole mentality of going to college for ~my dream job~. Here's a tip, just about everybody likes to watch movies and write stories. However, unless you are insanely talented spending 60k to do so is a giant waste.

The other problem is the angry, entitled nerds. Just because you got good grades at West Bumblefuck High doesn't mean you can make bank doing whatever the hell you feel like. I consistently run into these bitter assholes that treat high school like some weird kind of purgatory. They got decent grades and were miserable while those damn jocks drank and got pussy, so now it's their time to shine.  Real life isn't a series of checks and balances though. And those jocks actually learned networking and social skills which I'm discovering is more and more invaluable every day.

When I was applying to college my mom and dad told me to not bother unless I did STEM or got into a highly ranked business school. If more parents were willing to real-talk their kids goon would be a dying race.

jesus look at this big gay effortpost
I WAS SO HIGH I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO PUNCH MY WIFE IN THE BACK OF THE NECK TO PROVE THAT WHAT I WAS EXPERIENCING WAS NOT REAL.

Autistic Yankee

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Autistic The Gentry old cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Better dead than red Californian Boy Scout Scrooge
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIYB9sC_kZo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIYB9sC_kZo</a>

:lomo2:    :lomo2:  
Chomp!  I'll totally be motivated to get off my ass, overcome my social anxiety and fear of failure and go to college once Bernie Sanders gives it to me for free like a handy from Lomos mom in an Arby's Men's room-I mean a Gender Inclusive Rest Facility.

DangerClose

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »
+1
lol hilarious how Gen Xers certainly live up to their stereotype of being bitter assholes.

Still find GenXers more tolerable than Gen Y however.

The other problem is the angry, entitled nerds. Just because you got good grades at West Bumblefuck High doesn't mean you can make bank doing whatever the hell you feel like. I consistently run into these bitter assholes that treat high school like some weird kind of purgatory. They got decent grades and were miserable while those damn jocks drank and got pussy, so now it's their time to shine.  Real life isn't a series of checks and balances though. And those jocks actually learned networking and social skills which I'm discovering is more and more invaluable every day.
like literally everyone I considered a jock from my high school is either homeless and crazy, or fat/bald in a dead-end low-paying blue collar job with 2 shitty kids and a wife they hate at the age of 30-33 somehow.

The nerds didn't all fare better though. One nerd I was passing friends with went completely batshit insane and last time I saw him he was filing a lawsuit against the entire county government and like 100 other random people, and had 4 "emergency detentions" because he threatened to shoot up the college he got a worthless Bio degree from. Another went into the army, got sent to Iraq, then came back and murdered his friend in a PTSD moment and is now in prison.

Fade to Vanilla

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
  • Kinda patronizing and cunty
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2013, 02:55:21 AM »
+1
oh lordy, where do i begin?  i think prolly with the "oh woe is me, i'm in the first cohort this has ever happened to..."

from da OP

Quote from: Blue Pony" post="401306839
I have never known privilege, I thought was told, like many other young americans, that taking out huge loans to pay for college was the right thing to do, and that I would immediately get a job after school and pay it off for the rest of my life.

The the economy imploded on itself and that all became a lie. I'm all on my own now and have to make my own way, without help from my family or my government. I want to see the world even though I'm so poor that $300 a month for rent is obscene to me. I've seen too many 50 year old women at my shitty fast food jobs who wasted their lives believing that things would get better if they just stayed put.

shitthatdidn'thappen.txt. 

listen, toots,  you were warned about school loans, you just didn't listen.  i know because my generation (X)  was warned about excessive school loans. too, and it likely happened to the cohort the decade before me as well.

what was different for you?  you were advised early and often that art/media/social sciences were high-investment, low-return careers long before you hit university. i didn't get that talk before i applied to school, but it didn't matter since I went engineering anyways.  regardless, we were all advised to make a smart choice of majors, or else crushing loan debt would follow us for decades.

anecdote 1: over my time at college, i lived with 4 different guys who graduated in media/journalism programs. today: 1 sells insurance, 1 teaches history at a catholic high school, 1 is a carpenter and the last actually works for a publisher, but in elementary school book sales. 

edit: now that i think about it, not one of the 4 of them took out any loans; their tuition was all paid for by their parents.  I supposed that helped thm make their choices for major.

two, the myth of Gen Y as independent workers

Generation Y: They've arrived at work with a new attitude
They're young, smart, brash. They may wear flip-flops to the office or listen to iPods at their desk. They want to work, but they don't want work to be their life.
Get ready, because this generation — whose members have not yet hit 30 — is different from any that have come before, according to researchers and authors such as Bruce Tulgan, a founder of New Haven, Conn.-based RainmakerThinking, which studies the lives of young people.
Unlike the generations that have gone before them, Gen Y has been pampered, nurtured and programmed with a slew of activities since they were toddlers, meaning they are both high-performance and high-maintenance, Tulgan says. They also believe in their own worth.

"Generation Y is much less likely to respond to the traditional command-and-control type of management still popular in much of today's workforce," says Jordan Kaplan, an associate managerial science professor at Long Island University-Brooklyn in New York. "They've grown up questioning their parents, and now they're questioning their employers. They don't know how to shut up, which is great, but that's aggravating to the 50-year-old manager who says, 'Do it and do it now.' "

That speak-your-mind philosophy makes sense to Katie Patterson, an assistant account executive at Edelman Public Relations in Atlanta. The 23-year-old, who hails from Iowa and now lives with two roommates in a town home, likes to collaborate with others, and says many of her friends want to run their own businesses so they can be independent.

"We are willing and not afraid to challenge the status quo," she says. "An environment where creativity and independent thinking are looked upon as a positive is appealing to people my age. We're very independent and tech savvy.

This is complete and utter bullshit.  They're about the furthest thing from independent thinkers.  They were raised on consensus and group think.  Not one of them will make a move if it doesn't poll well with their  Facebook/Twitter crue.  It's a very Asian style of thinking and I see it everywhere here.

What they are is "unafraid of making mistakes" because they think that they could not possibly be wrong in the first place. 

Anecdote 2: I have a young female engineer working for me, 23 years old with a Ivy league engineering background.  I asked her to revise a document for me, one in which I had made a mistake.  She asked me about my mistake and I pointed out my own mistake as well as several of her own and told her, "Just fix it all."  She ran back to her desk and proceeded to avoid me for 2 weeks.  WTF?

Anecdote 3: I do a fair amount of work with the local universities, including teaching and mentoring engineering students on how to start their own companies.  At a recent job fair, where I spoke to an auditorium group of about 300 people regarding opportunities in my industry. After, I had a ring of people around me asking questions.  By far, the two most common questions were:

"How do I become an entrepreneur?"
"How do I become a manager in 3 years"

These were fresh graduates, mind you. Zero work experience.  Aside from putting the cart before the horse, all of them somehow missed the part of my talk where I spoke of putting in 9 years of work, in entry and low-level jobs before working my way up to a point where I would actually have responsibility for a project, let alone manage other people.

Anecdote 4: I had a really bright and attractive local girl working for me a few years back.  It was her first job out of school, although she had done an internship in the US for 9 months.  She did good work and stayed for about 2 years before she went back for a "prestigious" exchange program.  Before she left, I told her that she would be ready for mid-level engineering work, but not prepared for management responsibilities.  She didn't listen. After that she came back to work through the university, trying to do my job for the university in a tech incubator program.

Now she begs me to give her help because she doesn't know what she's doing because she didn't stay in industry long enough and I give her little pity consulting work for free.  It's a case of "I taught her everything she knows, but I didn't teach her everything I know".

tl;dr: despite making horrible, unrealistic choices, and then completely overestimating their own capabilities, the cherry on the top of the Gen Y shit sundae is that they want the rewards without putting in the work.  as a result, I will have good career options until I am on my deathbed.

lol hilarious how Gen Xers certainly live up to their stereotype of being bitter assholes.

there's nothing bitter about it.  gen Y thinks they're that smart.  gen X has already been down that road and shakes their head that the entire of generation Y's claim to fame is that they can use an IPad.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:12:44 AM by Fade to Vanilla »

Goddamnit E/N.

40k Scrotal Sacks

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' Deutscher Commie 420
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2013, 03:30:04 AM »
On the topic of workplace behavior: I see nothing inherently wrong with wanting a job that isn't dull as shit and pays reasonably well. Except, in the current ~economic climate~ that shouldn't be the No.1 priority.

I'm almost 25, so I'm smack in the middle of GenY. Reading this thread makes me feel better about myself though.  :unparsons:

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
shitthatdidn'thappen.txt. 

listen, toots,  you were warned about school loans, you just didn't listen.  i know because my generation (X)  was warned about excessive school loans. too, and it likely happened to the cohort the decade before me as well.

I'm Gen Y and I was definitely told that the loans didn't matter from multiple sources. They obviously didn't mean $100k in loans is fine, but $40,000 to $50,000 was definitely in the "whatever it takes" range.

Danger-Weiner

• Enemy Of The State
  • Emo Tablecloth Salesman
  • Awards old Wounded Multiple Times in the Line of Posting Murderer Ambien posting Californian DeVry Lithuanian
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »
i turn 26 in a month

genuinely surprised that randbot and aran aren't in their 30's :stare:
Trigger warning: the second video contains powerful audio of the man’s fragmented urine stream.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »
Gimme  four months  :depressedlesbian:

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old cold, dead hands Something Wonderful The Gentry Prepper Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
+1
I'm 73.
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.