;

Author Topic: 888 Unsourced Autistic Games and Animu Rants by ATOP  (Read 240240 times)

[SWOLE]Grode Jar

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Shitlord
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Deplorables Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' old Goon or Ex-Goon The Gentry Better dead than red United Statesian Scrooge Texan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand!
    • Awards
Re: 888 Unsourced Autistic Games and Animu Rants by ATOP
« Reply #2975 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
+7
Fighting the Necrons lmao.  The only thing the Imperium can do against the Necrons is fuckall, which is why they just run whenever a tomb world is found.  You don't fight the Necrons, you avoid them or you die.

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Unperson
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards Boy Scout Better dead than red United Statesian Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #2976 on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
+5
^^^ 8th edition has introduced a little nuance to the Necrons, there's actually several groups now, some are "friendlier" than others, ranging from mild disinterest in the Imperium of Man bordering on mutual dislike of chaos, to chaotic evil mindless rape machines

So if all the rumors are true the following will happen:

White boy is poorly written character who runs away from the military but apparently wants to do nothing but fight
Black Girl Christopher Columbus hates weapons and LOVES SCIENCE and doesn't believe in fighting her mother was an archaeologist who dug up alien technology to put in Museums
Cyborg child is comic relief
Bad guys are the necrons who they must thwart at every turn like Skeletor
The comics will lead up to the The Return and Reincarnation of the Emperor of Man who has been rebuilding his psyche in the void and probably one of the kids will be the chosen vessel.

So basically three heretics of various stripes dabbling in forbidden Xenos tech, one of which is destined as the meat sleeve of the Emperor of Man whose psyche will literally rape then wipe the memories and personality of the child whom he overtakes, that is if his head doesn't explode?

I just fixed the stories

[SWOLE]Grode Jar

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Shitlord
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Deplorables Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' old Goon or Ex-Goon The Gentry Better dead than red United Statesian Scrooge Texan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand!
    • Awards
« Reply #2977 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
+4
^^^ 8th edition has introduced a little nuance to the Necrons, there's actually several groups now, some are "friendlier" than others, ranging from mild disinterest in the Imperium of Man bordering on mutual dislike of chaos, to chaotic evil mindless rape machines

White boy is poorly written character who runs away from the military but apparently wants to do nothing but fight
Black Girl Christopher Columbus hates weapons and LOVES SCIENCE and doesn't believe in fighting her mother was an archaeologist who dug up alien technology to put in Museums
The comics will lead up to the The Return and Reincarnation of the Emperor of Man who has been rebuilding his psyche in the void and probably one of the kids will be the chosen vessel.

So basically three heretics of various stripes dabbling in forbidden Xenos tech, one of which is destined as the meat sleeve of the Emperor of Man whose psyche will literally rape then wipe the memories and personality of the child whom he overtakes, that is if his head doesn't explode?

I just fixed the stories

The Immortal Carrion Lord of humanity is reborn!  Now XHE shall rule the galaxy and spread justice (social) around to all of the species.  Xhe's mate, Slaanesh, will introduce xir to all sorts of pleasures without the addictions as well!  They live happily ever ever! *with occassional visits from Nurgle to spice things up a bit*

Edit - There, now your eyes are bleeding for I have made it even better!

As a white male I

• Cishet White Male
  • Wouldn't you agree?
  • Awards Deplorables Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red On Pohjolan hangissa meill' isänmaa Classicist Fascist
    • Awards
« Reply #2978 on: May 22, 2018, 12:40:46 AM »
+7
Everyone is losing and all non-Orc non-Tyrannid civs are in terminal decline.

So it's rooted in current reality you say?

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
« Reply #2979 on: May 22, 2018, 06:18:07 AM »
+4
https://archive.fo/XgPSl

just got GDC talk evaluations back... (1) many felt it was too basic, which is understandable, but as I said at the start of the talk, it was for beginner / intermediate designers (2) lol apparently industry men don't like it when you call for applause for the concept of gay sex

:pleaseclap:

actually when I do talks to intro my games, and I say "gay sex", half the time the audience just bursts into spontaneous applause now
(3) I also got quite a few whiners who were upset when I (*BRIEFLY*) talked about how lighting tech was historically racist (*FOR 1 SLIDE*) and how we still carry these problems into lighting games (cited article: waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/…) pic.twitter.com/1i1ncDoQJ5
experienced aaa level designer strawman: "I'M A GROWN UP, DON'T TELL ME WHAT A POINT LIGHT IS, TALK ABOUT COMPLICATED IMPORTANT STUFF" also experienced aaa level designer strawman: "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT RACISM IN LIGHTING, THIS ISN'T THE PLACE, BE RESPECTFUL"

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #2980 on: May 22, 2018, 06:33:32 AM »
+8
Someone throw these people into the pits where the homeless hordes reside.

How the fuck can lighting tech actually be racist? Unless you mean knowing how to illuminate different colors properly which is the entire point of lighting to begin with, they even do this for live action with gels and everything. You have to learn how to properly illuminate a scene so things are visible and different colors require different methods.

for example a dark alleyway and a character is wearing a dark suit, a direct light isn't going to look natural, but a light that's too dim isn't going to show shit. You have to light it so the character can stand out from the background and be visible.

[SWOLE]Grode Jar

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Shitlord
    • Awards
« Reply #2981 on: May 22, 2018, 06:52:38 AM »
+3
Everyone is losing and all non-Orc non-Tyrannid civs are in terminal decline.

So it's rooted in current reality you say?

Welp shit.
:megatuss:

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #2982 on: May 22, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
+1

Make it a “Saturday morning cartoon” independent of Warhammer and it would be fine.
His name was Harry Anderson

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards You can't know! Generation Identitaire Grenouille
    • Awards
« Reply #2983 on: May 22, 2018, 07:28:42 AM »
+8
A new IP would completely defeat the purpose. It's about poisoning the entire medium with their ideology, so that it may pass by osmosis to the people who consume it.

The Emperor returning is like, the exact antithesis of the entire point of the setting. It should never happen, or even be a possibility. Not to mention the general extreme grim darkness. I wonder if they'll show the Emperor needs hundreds of psyker sacrifices daily to merely continue "existing" as a skeleton entombed in a gigantic golden machine throne.

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
« Reply #2984 on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:30 AM »
The Emperor returning is like, the exact antithesis of the entire point of the setting.

Good thing it was an atop troll you idiot.

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2985 on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
+5
Meh, having the typical precocious hero kids danger hair Clown World protagonist team even exist  (for more than like, a day or so, before something horrible inevitably happens to them) is the antithesis of the entire setting anyways. Not even the most outlandish atop claim can top the ridiculousness of this existing in the first place.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #2986 on: May 22, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »
+4
To properly tell a story in WarHammer you'd have to start of with the view of an outsider who has a reason to deal with all the different races, like say an intergalactic smuggler who finds himself in over his head(basically the first Star Wars film from Solo's pov.) This Adventures looks like it misses the point of WarHammer especially if it tries to be "inclusive."

Which one of the books actually does this though? Seriously, I've read a few and they just kinda jump right into action. I like the idea of the universe, but wouldn't mind a bit more narrative.

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2987 on: May 22, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
I've read a few of those 40k novels. I tend to skip over all the autistic descriptions of combat for the most part, which tends to be a large chunk.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #2988 on: May 22, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »
+3
It really is annoying. I like the lore and universe as a concept, but those battle descriptions are basically written by my 5 year old, minus the groin injuries sustained from his demonstrations and spit in my face from the sound effects.

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2989 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
If I remember right the Inquisitor Eisenhorn series focused more on narrative and worldbuilding and less on angry smashy. Really anything that's focused on the Space Marines will tend to have a lot of that.

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2990 on: May 22, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
+3
A new IP would completely defeat the purpose. It's about poisoning the entire medium with their ideology, so that it may pass by osmosis to the people who consume it.
I hate that you are right. My knowledge of Warhammer is weak TBH. I was only kinda into it because of the art and learned little bits of the lore indecently. My comments about writing a Warhammer story are based on the logic of story telling.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:46:44 AM by The Watcher »

Rob Halford's Scrotal Sack

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Metal Fan Drinkin' and Postin' Deutscher 420
    • Awards
« Reply #2991 on: May 22, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
+10
No kid wants to see a faggy cartoon show about other kids when they could have this:

Backpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon Texan cold, dead hands Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #2992 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
+6
No kid wants to see a faggy cartoon show about other kids when they could have this:

It's weird, because I've seen people in places even like Reddit where they know/admit that kids don't necessarily want to watch a cartoon about another kid having an adventure - they want to watch a cartoon about somebody they can pretend to be. I don't want to pretend to be "a different kid, but in a cool setting where I'm still a child with slightly more agency", I wanna pretend to be a seven foot tall space marine who cuts evil aliens in half with a chainsaw sword.
Quote from: George Lincoln Rockwell
The Conservatives have a slogan which I think is despicable and defeatist: "It's better to be dead than red." And the Commies and Liberals have a slogan which is even worse, it's treason, they say: "It's better to be red than dead." We say this: "You don't have to be Red and you don't have to be Dead. Not dead. Not Red. Dead Reds"

Junkers Ju 888

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #2993 on: May 22, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
+2

How the fuck can lighting tech actually be racist? Unless you mean knowing how to illuminate different colors properly which is the entire point of lighting to begin with, they even do this for live action with gels and everything. You have to learn how to properly illuminate a scene so things are visible and different colors require different methods.

for example a dark alleyway and a character is wearing a dark suit, a direct light isn't going to look natural, but a light that's too dim isn't going to show shit. You have to light it so the character can stand out from the background and be visible.

Physically based rendering (PBR) does away with a lot of problems related to this.

Newer lighting and material tech is able to embed more information into the materials that current-gen game assets are textured with. With a PBR workflow you have a much better idea what any given texture is going to look like under a variety of lighting conditions. In practical terms, it means that if the gamma in your level gets jacked with because QA said it was too dark, you (probably) won't need to re-export all your textures. PBR tech also goes hand in hand with better shader tech like subsurface scattering and other maps to make human skin look more lifelike.

Of course, this guy Robert Yang isn't even a real dev, he's a professor at NYU. Nice CV: https://www.debacle.us/

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #2994 on: May 22, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »
+5

Physically based rendering (PBR) does away with a lot of problems related to this.

Newer lighting and material tech is able to embed more information into the materials that current-gen game assets are textured with. With a PBR workflow you have a much better idea what any given texture is going to look like under a variety of lighting conditions. In practical terms, it means that if the gamma in your level gets jacked with because QA said it was too dark, you (probably) won't need to re-export all your textures. PBR tech also goes hand in hand with better shader tech like subsurface scattering and other maps to make human skin look more lifelike.

Of course, this guy Robert Yang isn't even a real dev, he's a professor at NYU. Nice CV: https://www.debacle.us/

Oh hell I've actually run into him IRL. NYU was having a panel of the Disney Animators who have been working with the company for decades and did everything from Bolt to frozen to Zootopia. He wanted to know why there were no black people in the movies. What was being discussed was Elsa's braid flip where it passes through the shoulder and the error went unnoticed, so he asked if the lack of black people in Frozen was an error too.

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2995 on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:53 AM »
+1

Whig Historian

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2996 on: May 23, 2018, 01:47:25 AM »
+12
It never ceases to baffle me how so many comic writers treat Thatcherite Britain as Literally Hell On Earth.

Did these people look at the Winter of Discontent and say to themselves "Yes, this is how a country is supposed to function"?

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Unperson
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards Boy Scout Better dead than red United Statesian Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #2997 on: May 23, 2018, 02:29:37 AM »
+10
It never ceases to baffle me how so many comic writers treat Thatcherite Britain as Literally Hell On Earth.

Did these people look at the Winter of Discontent and say to themselves "Yes, this is how a country is supposed to function"?

These are people who unironically believe that subsistence farming under a soviet commissar is an ideal worth striving for...so yes?

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2998 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:54 AM »
+1

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #2999 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »
+2

I found a thread on Reddit asking why they haven’t cloned the emperor. Half of it was explaining lore the other half was screaming heretic.