;

Author Topic: Speaking Truth to Power: Stand-up Comedy in Trump's America  (Read 8125 times)

asip

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Motorcyclist United Statesian Deplorables You Shall Not Pass!
    • Awards
Re: Speaking Truth to Power: Stand-up Comedy in Trump's America
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:04 AM »
+2
Proops is the only guy I recognize but I don't know how. I don't know what the guy does or what he's known for at all.

Dem Wypipo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »
+5
Proops is a C-level comedian who hangs out in the periphery of B-level comedians so sometimes you get to hear him on an episode of Marc Maron, Adam Carolla, or Joe Rogan's podcast or some shit like that, probably when there isn't someone better who can go on.  There are many such comedians like this.

Edit: Yikes

This tweet is pinned by him, btw

SooperPooper

• Cishet White Male
  • Non-shitposts: 0
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
+4
greg proops AND his homunculus on the same show?  sign me up

Lololol
rofl I have a sig

asip

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Motorcyclist United Statesian Deplorables You Shall Not Pass!
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
+3
i was like wow what a terrible patch then got to the tweet and  :dubya:

Junkers Ju 888

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
+6
Proops is a C-level comedian who hangs out in the periphery of B-level comedians so sometimes you get to hear him on an episode of Marc Maron, Adam Carolla, or Joe Rogan's podcast or some shit like that, probably when there isn't someone better who can go on.  There are many such comedians like this.

Edit: Yikes

This tweet is pinned by him, btw

A pirated vagina would be the perfect symbol for troonism.

Jim Acostas Impotent Rage

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
+8
Did not even notice it was a pirated vagina. Thought that was a cow  :jesse:

Whig Historian

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
+2
I feel like I recognize Proops from some show where he went "And now the nyeeeeeewwwws," but I can't even remember what that was.

Mad at the Internet

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • wuts halperning?
  • Awards Texan Deplorables Seaman (lol) Killed in the Line of Posting Something Wonderful TNE Veteran Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
+2
The only show I remember Proops from was "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" when Drew Carey was still the host. Basically, every week was some permutation of Proops, Colin Mocherie, Ryan Stiles, and Wayne Brady. I may also remember Kathy Griffin on the show, too, at some point.

Backpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Better dead than red cold, dead hands Texan Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
The only show I remember Proops from was "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" when Drew Carey was still the host. Basically, every week was some permutation of Proops, Colin Mocherie, Ryan Stiles, and Wayne Brady. I may also remember Kathy Griffin on the show, too, at some point.

One of the first things I remember him from is hosting that Comedy Central game show VERSUS like twenty years ago. He was also the voice of that two-headed announcer alien guy at the pod race in The Phantom Menace.
Quote from: George Lincoln Rockwell
The Conservatives have a slogan which I think is despicable and defeatist: "It's better to be dead than red." And the Commies and Liberals have a slogan which is even worse, it's treason, they say: "It's better to be red than dead." We say this: "You don't have to be Red and you don't have to be Dead. Not dead. Not Red. Dead Reds"

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Libertarian For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting. Motorcyclist
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »
+3
Proops more like poops am I rite?

#comedy
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.

Jim Acostas Impotent Rage

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2018, 06:31:34 PM »
+3
#DadJokes

Ass Diamond

• Unperson
  • Million dollar dumps, taken daily
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Rethuglikkkan Soldier For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Motorcyclist Texan The Gentry cold, dead hands TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
+6
Is sexual misconduct even a thing in the gay community though?

It is by it's very nature of homosexuality. How many faggots have given birth to beautiful assbabies? None.

Backpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Better dead than red cold, dead hands Texan Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
+14

It is by it's very nature of homosexuality. How many faggots have given birth to beautiful assbabies? None.

I think "sexual misconduct" in the gay community is stuff like asking your partner what his name is.
Quote from: George Lincoln Rockwell
The Conservatives have a slogan which I think is despicable and defeatist: "It's better to be dead than red." And the Commies and Liberals have a slogan which is even worse, it's treason, they say: "It's better to be red than dead." We say this: "You don't have to be Red and you don't have to be Dead. Not dead. Not Red. Dead Reds"

The Trumpriarch

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables Better dead than red United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »
+4
Rare and unnecessary?
cry "bigot!" and let slip the troons of war

Dem Wypipo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
+7
Sexual misconduct is not wanting to felch the random guy you met five minutes ago on Grindr

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
+7
I thought an urban merit badge was a gunshot wound.  :jesse:

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Sasstronaut United Statesian Bah Jaysus!
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:45 PM »

I think "sexual misconduct" in the gay community is stuff like asking your partner what his name is.

Touching you in the morning and NOT just walking away.

J Dog

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
British 10/10 Intimidated by Male Comedians
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
+5
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/02/23/39218/feminist_backlash_shuts_down_free_speech_gig

Feminist backlash shuts down 'free speech' gig

A planned gig about whether feminism was stifling free speech has been cancelled – after a backlash from feminists.

Alfie Noakes, promoter of the We Are Funny Project, had invited comedians to play the gig after writing a provocative article for Chortle questioning if radical feminism had gone too far.

But after a flurry of furious messages were posted in response online, the planned venue, Farr’s School of Dancing in East London, asked him to pull the gig.

In a new article for Chortle, Noakes said: ‘I’m very sorry to report that the posting, and dog-whistle call to attack all involved in the show, specifically the venue, was so concerning to our hosts that they asked me to pull the show.'

He specifically blamed comedian Kate Smurthwaite  for the decision, after she called on the venue to ‘stop hosting this kind of bigotry’

Noakes said: ‘How fragile is her political position to be so threatened by such an event? Perhaps, most importantly, did we just see an alleged professional act call for the censorship of a comedy show?’

He further called her a hypocrite as she has often spoken about free speech, and had first-hand experience of censorship.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4UD5ai4ELM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4UD5ai4ELM</a>

Ol' Kate there responded to the story with this e-mail:

I think you're being sucked in to promoting a shitty open mic event that no-one was going to go to anyway by being dragged into a fictional argument. But OK.

I said (on Facebook) that I thought the gig looked like a pile of sexist shit. That was, and remains, my sincerely-held opinion. To suggest that I shouldn't be allowed to express such an opinion is sexism and censorship and waaaaah... Blessed be the fruit. Women are allowed opinions (welcome to 2018). FREEZE PEACH GUYS.

The Goldsmiths thing I was angry about because my show was no platformed based on lies and misinformation about me. Venues that chose not to put on racist, sexist, homophobic events are enhancing free speech by ensuring that people from those groups are not bullied into silence, as I have been many times. I applaud them. My shows are none of those things, they're clever and inclusive and nuanced and literally everyone should go to them.

I was unaware that I could cosmically order things by talking about them on social media. Watch out for my upcoming tweets (@Cruella1) about Donald Trump being impeached and nationalising the rail network. Be very afraid all ye minions for I shall rule benevolently on Instagram and Bebo. LOL.

Sincerely your new overlord OR IS THAT OVERLADY??!

Her satanic majesty

Kate Smurthwaite

Virtue Signalman First Class

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Better dead than red Classicist Drinkin' and Postin' old
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2018, 08:06:37 AM »
+8
Kate Smurf Wraith is one of the unfunniest people on the planet. She is not only unfunny, but obnoxious and tedious to the extreme.
But I do often point out that I write both science fiction and fantasy. It’s just that the science fiction is usually titled ‘technical proposal’ and the fantasy is titled ‘budget proposal.’

- Jordin Kare

kornbeef

• Unperson
  • Awards Metal Fan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! United Statesian old Goon or Ex-Goon Scrooge cold, dead hands The Gentry TNE Veteran Sasstronaut Boy Scout Better dead than red
    • Awards
Re: British 10/10 Intimidated by Male Comedians
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »
+4
Venues that chose not to put on racist, sexist, homophobic events are enhancing free speech by ensuring that people from those groups are not bullied into silence
They're not bullying US into silense, WE'RE bullying THEM into silence!  Totes OK!