;

Author Topic: This is why you can't have nice things  (Read 1957 times)

Doctor Jizzmopper

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • ~*Panzer Katze*~
  • Awards Deplorables Took Down an Admin
    • Awards
Re: This is why you can't have nice things
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 01:22:03 AM »
+14
Let's get back to paying the niggertax debate.

My favorite Aatrek episode is "City on the Edge of A School Zone"

Kevin Dawes was sold out by Eliot Higgins.

Spanish Manlove is Luis Franco-Waite

The Postal Dude: I suppose it would have been more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first.

Virtue Signalman First Class

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Fuck you, dad! Classicist Drinkin' and Postin' old Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 01:55:39 AM »
+2
Also, I have nothing against social programs. Despite problems I love our medical system that manages to get a lot done with few resources and I think if you've paid taxes you have the right to expect support at the time of need in your life.

I'm specifically talking about utterly worthless ways to spend money, like Germany or Sweden spends on immigration. There cannot possibly be any positives, it will make everything worse and costs a lot of money. I specifically mentioned Section 8 in the USA because from what little I've read, it's an absolute clusterfuck money drain that solves 0 problems while making everything worse.
But I do often point out that I write both science fiction and fantasy. It’s just that the science fiction is usually titled ‘technical proposal’ and the fantasy is titled ‘budget proposal.’

- Jordin Kare

NASAkangz

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 02:11:23 AM »
+3
One thing you always hear the green energy people trot out is that existing energy suppliers fear these new technologies coming in and stealing their profits. This sounds wrong to me, if anything major energy companies would be at the forefront of investing in and using these technologies. It doesn’t matter if it raises profit margins or not. If it does, then great that’s incentive. If it doesn’t, someone’s still gonna undercut you using it unless you adjust to the new market. I suspect these canards get trotted out because the reality is most green energy solutions viewed technically are not promising, so energy companies logically ignore them and their proponents need some other way to generate hype so it becomes “those evil corps wanna keep this tech hidden use ur taxes to fund it so we can fight evil”.

Am I off the mark? Do the existing institutions actively work to stifle innovation?

Wildly off the mark? I mean, I really can’t imagine anyone whose rose to the capability of developing what is essentially limitless power, turning away the right to print unlimited money. The same “evil corps hiding everything” nonsense is applied to medical cures, too.

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Fuck you, dad! Classicist Drinkin' and Postin' old Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 03:24:24 AM »
+7
Solar energy isn't really efficient in the grand scheme of things. Half of the planet is always away from the sun, for a start. Solar, wind and hydro are nice to have for your house or a small community but they are not enough to satisfy a power-hungry industrial civilization.

I think we'll be building huge solar arrays near Mercury in the future, because at that distance you get 7x the energy from Sun per square meter as you do from Earth's orbit. You can either use all that energy for anti-matter production or propelling yuge spacecraft to relativistic speeds via laser beams. You need hundreds of terawatts worth of power, but all of it is essentially free. Yes, it is a major engineering task, but one we need to undertake sooner or later. I'm afraid this wont happen in our lifetime, but perhaps within a few hundred years, who knows.
But I do often point out that I write both science fiction and fantasy. It’s just that the science fiction is usually titled ‘technical proposal’ and the fantasy is titled ‘budget proposal.’

- Jordin Kare

Franzo

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards You can't know! Generation Identitaire Grenouille
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 03:30:30 AM »
+11
Biggest problem with solar and other forms of "renewable" energy is storing the power being generated. They're largely either unpredictable or staggered in such a way that we cannot rely on them to provide power when it is needed, or it's much more trouble than it's worth when compared to other sources. There's a lot of advances in batteries and other power storing capabilities, but so far our ability to produce energy far outpaces our ability to store it.

OOK OOK SCREE (D-IL)

• Cishet White Male
  • Niggerposting from my Bamaphone fo free
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »
+7
One thing you always hear the green energy people trot out is that existing energy suppliers fear these new technologies coming in and stealing their profits. This sounds wrong to me, if anything major energy companies would be at the forefront of investing in and using these technologies. It doesn’t matter if it raises profit margins or not. If it does, then great that’s incentive. If it doesn’t, someone’s still gonna undercut you using it unless you adjust to the new market. I suspect these canards get trotted out because the reality is most green energy solutions viewed technically are not promising, so energy companies logically ignore them and their proponents need some other way to generate hype so it becomes “those evil corps wanna keep this tech hidden use ur taxes to fund it so we can fight evil”.

Am I off the mark? Do the existing institutions actively work to stifle innovation?

Solar energy is a crapshoot because it could take decades before we get something efficient and convenient enough to have power generation outstripping the trouble and cost of the medium itself, and Franzo is right in that renewable energy is mostly limited by the fact we have such a huge power loss trying to store energy and then convert it back to a useful form on demand - right now the only real way we have to store it effectively is in hydrocarbons themselves.  Businesses have already thrown away billions trying to get it to work, existing power companies likely aren't stifling innovation, they're just ignoring it and banking on it being too complicated to be real competition (which is not a bad bet so far).

Also never underestimate popular outrage driving some truly retarded initiatives, after the Fukushima thing both Japan and Germany shut off a bunch of their nuclear reactors despite them having none of the same flaws as the one in Fukushima, after which they made up the difference by...wait for it...importing and burning a bunch of coal lol.  Half the boomer aged women in my area still pearl clutch when they hear the word nuclear because they saw the Toxic Avenger when they were in their 20's, despite the fact it's safer and cleaner and has negligible waste.  It's also why preserving food with radiation to kill bacteria never got off the ground despite there being some promise to it (and food transport is very expensive and energy costly), all you need is a bunch of retards protesting "No nuked food" and goodbye market share.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »
+8
Half the boomer aged women in my area still pearl clutch when they hear the word nuclear because they saw the Toxic Avenger when they were in their 20's, despite the fact it's safer and cleaner and has negligible waste.

Next time you talk to them mention how you are really excited at the prospect of matter-antimatter reactors where 1 gram of fuel will produce 3 Hiroshima nukes worth of energy.

- Jordin Kare

David Hoggs Secret Meme Lab

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
+11
Half the boomer aged women in my area still pearl clutch when they hear the word nuclear because they saw the Toxic Avenger when they were in their 20's, despite the fact it's safer and cleaner and has negligible waste. 

If only we had a clean form of biofuel, like, perhaps, boomer aged women.
SomethingSensitive.com - your source for "diva cup for my butt" and related products/services

White Rapper

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
+7
Biggest problem with solar and other forms of "renewable" energy is storing the power being generated. They're largely either unpredictable or staggered in such a way that we cannot rely on them to provide power when it is needed, or it's much more trouble than it's worth when compared to other sources. There's a lot of advances in batteries and other power storing capabilities, but so far our ability to produce energy far outpaces our ability to store it.

In the future the grid will be a multi-directional network of electricity generation and consumption. The power company will be similar to an ISP routing the power around the area they manage. Obviously this is much more complex as switching power between routes involves switching stations instead of a small box. In this way a tax or rules against solar panel net metering by current power companies makes sense. They are not electricity ISPs yet they are in the business of generating power not figuring out where to send excess loads.

In some places it has gotten to the point where everyone in the a rich neighborhood has solar panels installed. During peak usage periods in the middle of the day they generating much more power than their area needs. The existing power lines are already being used to route power outward from the power plant so they cannot used. The small neighborhood does not have a large enough feeder line going into it to safely be an outgoing source of power for that city.

The solar panels act as a power generation source only. The majority of the cost in all other aspects of a solar system has increased due to demand. Focusing on the panels creates a system where everyone is expecting the power company to handle storage and conversion of that power. Most residential systems have no way to dump the excess load they generate other than into the grid. If that ever gets overloaded and can't take the load there is going to be a town with thousands of electrical fires started at once.

OOK OOK SCREE (D-IL)

• Cishet White Male
  • Niggerposting from my Bamaphone fo free
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
+3

If only we had a clean form of biofuel, like, perhaps, boomer aged women.

They'd turn into a bunch of superheated air so everyone around them might not even notice.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
+14
Back to NASA, it's an interesting subject for me, one I've talked about in brief in the Obammy thread.

https://capitalresearch.org/article/nasa/

Some interesting bits:

So if NASA isn’t taking Americans to the Moon or Mars, where is NASA headed? Unlike welfare and entitlement programs, NASA’s overall budget has been relatively flat in the Obama years. It was $17.78 billion in 2009 and fell to $16.86 billion in 2013. For the current fiscal year the figure is $19.3 billion, but the total is projected to fall to $18.8 billion in 2017.

Unlike our resident :proc: who doesn't understand economics or technology, I can claim with high degree of confidence that rockets are really expensive.

But OK, the NASA budget more or less flatlined under Obammy. That isn't so bad, right? At least they didn't lose funding.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) provided numerical proof that NASA’s mission was hijacked to push radical global warming theories, “In the last 6 years…we’ve seen earth sciences increase 41 percent, and we’ve seen exploration and space operations—what should be the core mission, what NASA exists to do—decrease 7.6 percent.” Earth Sciences is the primary NASA department for global warming activities.

In 2012, 49 former NASA astronauts and distinguished scientists wrote a letter asking Administrator Bolden to stop using NASA to push radical global warming theories. They warned that NASA’s “advocacy of an extreme position, prior to a thorough study” puts at risk “the exemplary reputation of NASA, NASA’s current or former scientists and employees, and even the reputation of science itself.”

Well fuck me. How can this kind of thing happen?

Lori Garver was Obama’s space policy advisor on his 2008 campaign and then led the Presidential Transition Agency Review Team for NASA. After the election, she was rewarded with the position of Deputy NASA Administrator.

Garver revealed NASA’s altered mission when she outlined the administration’s vision for NASA’s transformation in a March 2010 speech to the American Astronautical Society. The president’s plans, Garver said, “will enable NASA to align with the priorities of the nation and to more optimally contribute to our Nation’s future. These key national priorities that I am referring to are: Economic development—poverty, hunger, jobs. International leadership/geo-politics—world peace. Education—societal advancement. Environment—future of planet and humanity.

WHAT THE FUCK DO ANY OF THESE THINGS HAVE TO DO WITH SPACE?!

Garver left NASA in September 2013, but continued her battle against the space program by attacking the Space Launch System rocket and the next Mars rover.

In a briefing I attended in 2012, Garver spoke dreamily of NASA working closely with China’s military-led space program. Because of Garver’s and Bolden’s initial efforts towards cooperation with China, Congress was forced to outlaw any cooperation to prevent China from plundering our highest technology and using it against us in their military and undercutting American commercial space enterprises like Space X.

So not only incompetent and lacking in vision, but also a threat to national security. Fucking brilliant.

Any more of these jokers in positions of power within NASA?

James Hansen was the head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies until 2013. He became known as a taxpayer-funded activist for radical global warming theories and carbon taxes. Hansen used alarmist predictions of dramatic and unsubstantiated temperature and sea level increases to try to scare opponents into silence.

For example, Hansen told the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming in 2008: “CEOs of fossil energy companies know what they are doing and are aware of long-term consequences of continued business as usual. In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature.

:lilal:

Hansen used his stature as a NASA scientist to gain media attention by getting arrested at global warming demonstrations, a misuse of his position of trust. He wrote a supportive statement for the book Time’s Up!, saying author Keith Farnish “has it right: time has practically run out, and the ‘system’ is the problem.

The book calls for terrorist-type actions to destroy sea walls and dams, “razing cities to the ground,” and ending civilization. Not just ending the radical Left’s hated “western civilization” or even creating a North Korean-style prison society where only the elite receive the benefits of modern comforts, but ending the entirety of what the author calls “industrial civilization” itself.

:algore: BURN IT TO THE GROUND  :algore:

OK, who did they get to replace this raging lunatic?

Gavin Schmidt is James Hansen’s replacement as head of the Goddard Institute. A self-described “liberal Jewish atheist from New York City,” he shares Hansen’s warming alarmism.

I'm out.

How do you kill the space program without anyone noticing?

If the president proclaims America is on a “Journey to Mars,” but kills the plans to get there, no one in the liberal media would dare shout the obvious: “America has no space program!” To assist in this deception, Obama took the step politicians often take to buy cover for unpopular actions: he established a commission to declare that space exploration was “unsustainable.”

The report, Seeking a Human Spaceflight Program Worthy of a Great Nation, stated that “the U.S. human spaceflight program appears to be on an unsustainable trajectory. It is perpetuating the perilous practice of pursuing goals that do not match allocated resources.”

Step 1: remove funding
Step 2: claim objectives are unrealistic because of lack of funding

:tuss:

In conclusion:

President Obama, John Holdren, Lori Garver, and James Hansen have succeeded in their apparent mission to convert NASA’s bold exploration and scientific mission into yet another left-wing propaganda-spewing agency. As House Science Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) observed at a 2014 hearing, “there are 13 other agencies involved in climate-change research, but only one that is responsible for space exploration.”

- Jordin Kare

Doctor Jizzmopper

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • ~*Panzer Katze*~
  • Awards Deplorables Took Down an Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 05:05:30 AM »
+11
Can someone post IQ charts and the reason they can't show up on time/ have no concept of time?

Aren't they all about as functional as retarded children?
My favorite Aatrek episode is "City on the Edge of A School Zone"

Kevin Dawes was sold out by Eliot Higgins.

Spanish Manlove is Luis Franco-Waite

The Postal Dude: I suppose it would have been more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 05:55:13 AM »
+13
Can someone post IQ charts and the reason they can't show up on time/ have no concept of time?

Aren't they all about as functional as retarded children?

Necroing my own thread.

Here is a short clip that should make anyone think:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Ur71ZnNVk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Ur71ZnNVk</a>

TLDR: The US armed forces have conducted extensive IQ testing over the last 100 years because at war-time they want peak efficiency at every post. They found that people with IQ less than 83 can fill absolutely no role in the entire armed forces that wouldn't be counter-productive.

The average IQ of the black population in the US and the native population in the Middle-East is around 85. That is dangerously close to the 83 limit.

- Jordin Kare

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:39 AM »
+11
Necroing my own thread again because fuck you, that's why.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/how-identity-politics-harming-sciences-15826.html

“Diversity” is now an explicit job qualification in the STEM fields. A current job listing for a lecturer in biology at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst announces that because diversity is “critical to the university’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas,” the biology department “holistically” assesses applicants and “favorably considers experiences overcoming barriers”—experiences assumed to be universal among URMs. The University of California at San Diego physics department advertised an assistant-professor position several years ago with a “specific emphasis on contributions to diversity,” such as a candidate’s “awareness of inequities faced by underrepresented groups.” Social-justice concerns apparently trump the quest to solve the mystery of dark energy. All five candidates on UC San Diego’s short list were females, leading one male candidate with a specialty in extragalactic physics to wonder why the school had even solicited applications from Asian and white men.

:tuss:

An introductory chemistry course at UC Berkeley exemplifies “culturally sensitive pedagogy.” Its creators described the course in a January 2018 webinar for STEM teachers, sponsored by the University of California’s STEM Faculty Learning Community. A primary goal of the course, according to teachers Erin Palmer and Sabriya Rosemund, is to disrupt the “racialized and gendered construct of scientific brilliance,” which defines “good science” as getting all the right answers. The course maintains instead that “all students are scientifically brilliant.” Science is a practice of collective sense-making that calls forth “inclusive ways” of being brilliant. Students in this “inclusive” Chem 1A course work in groups arranging data cards in the proper sequence to represent chemical processes, among other tasks. Chemical terms of art are avoided wherever possible to accommodate students’ different academic backgrounds. The instructors hold the teams “accountable to group thinking”; a team can’t question an instructor unless it has arrived collectively at the question and poses it in “we” language.

:tuss: :tuss:

The whole article is depressing. I think the pozz has crept into STEM fields much more deeper than most people here would like to admit.

- Jordin Kare

Obese-N-Wiggered

• Cishet White Male
  • King of Clownworld, woop woop!
  • Awards Sasstronaut Fucked a lesbian Boy Scout old cold, dead hands Better dead than red Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »
+3
Their premise is incoherent, conclusions are riddled with the worst kinds of logical errors and they probably all stink like hippies. Thanks a lot, higher ed!

Good job trying to tear down the last vestiges of real education.

Reality is too triggering.  :christina: