;

Author Topic: Decline of the UK megathread  (Read 79435 times)

OSI

• Cishet White Male
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • For Dixie's Land we'll make our stand
  • Awards TNE Veteran Arizona Classicist Fascist The Gentry Ave Maria Soldier For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Prepper cold, dead hands
    • Awards
Decline of the UK megathread
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »
+1
(CNN) -- British police have arrested a teenager suspected of sending an offensive Twitter message to British Olympic diver Tom Daley.

Officers detained a 17-year-old man at a guest house in "the Weymouth area" of the county of Dorset in the early hours of Tuesday morning, they said.

The unnamed teenager was questioned on "suspicion of malicious communications," a police spokeswoman told CNN, and later issued with a harassment warning.

"In addition to the warning the teenager has been bailed to return to the police station at a later date whilst Dorset Police investigate other communications on his Twitter account," police said in a statement.

Read more: Olympians in the social media spotlight

On Monday, Daley retweeted a message he said he'd received from user "Rileyy_69" shortly after he and his partner Peter Waterfield placed fourth in the men's 10m synchronized dive, failing to win a medal.

"After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this...RT @Rileyy_69: @TomDaley1994 you let your dad down i hope you know that," teen diving star Daley tweeted.

Daley's father died in May 2011 after a long battle with brain cancer.

The tweet triggered a stream of support and praise for Daley's efforts, and disgust at rileyy_69's message snowballed into a campaign to have him banned from Twitter.

#GetRileyy_69Banned was trending on Twitter as users urged others to retweet the message. A tweet from @QuotingJokes calling for a ban was retweeted more than 12,000 times overnight.

After the initial tweet, a number of abusive messages were sent between Twitter users, including threats of violence which appeared to have been posted by the user Rileyy_69.

Read more: Fans asked to tweet from Olympics only if it's 'urgent'

Rileyy_69 also posted several apologies for his initial tweet, including one in which he claimed he didn't realize that Daley's father had died.

"but mate i didn't know about his dad I've just seen about it on the news they mentioned me," he wrote.

In the early hours of the morning, he managed to tweet "I'm going to the ****** police station now to sort this out I will be back."

His last tweet read: "night everyone and im geniunely sorry for what's happened today just know that im actually a really nice person and I regret what I've said."

your rights end where my feelings begin.jpg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:14:21 AM by Dog-O-Tron 5000 v4.0 »

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
Re: Re: Decline of the UK megathread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:22 AM »
+1
Watch this liberal cunt get put into her place by David Starkey. Perhaps the UK got a glimmer of hope after this exchange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9dA6E3fJw

It is fucking hilarious. First she interrupts him by trying to one up him on his tax situation, which is all in order. Then he puts her in her place and then watch her body language and listen to her voice at the end. Not so arrogant anymore. She goes into full victim mode.

Here's the article about it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2163918/Historian-David-Starkey-branded-racist-bigot-saying-Rochdale-sex-gang-values-entrenched-foothills-Punjab.html

The entire country is still all pozzed up, but as long as people like Starkey are around, perhaps there is hope for our friends across the pond. He's the one gay atheist who has his head on straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1x88kScAs

wimpb

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:23:22 AM »
Not news as such, but had a quick look at some of the military figures.

Britain has less active duty military personnel than Japan. Japan is not supposed to have a military by law (ignored in practice).

The once mighty Royal Navy is also considerably smaller than the JSDF navy.

And it isn't like the RN was that huge in the 80s either.

furly_ghost

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
JDSF can probably choreograph better too

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAXJaFydwM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAXJaFydwM</a>
A toddler and a flying dog CANNOT do work intended for an adult human. I wish my parents would believe me.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist Took Down an Admin You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran United Statesian Bah Jaysus! Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
SEAMAN SHIP

FOR LOVE!
 :adam:

wimpb

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »
Japan chose to have a virile navy and military with ships full of seamen, the UK chose to blow their load on chavs in tenements.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
+1
 :geithner: No battleships?

wimpb

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
No one has battleships anymore. Only the USN has a few decommissioned Iowa class battleships.

The USN does have the Ticonderoga class which is a cruiser, but the cruiser designation doesn't quite imply greater combat power.

Unlike USN destroyers, British destroyers are very specialized towards anti-air defence and have very little anti-ship or anti-submarine capability. Currently, their only anti-shipping armament is the 4.5 inch gun on the bow and the missiles carried by its helicopter.

To compare, the USN has around about 83 active guided missile cruisers/destroyers. The RN has 6.

High Impact Sexbot 2020

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • 18+
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Killed in the Line of Posting Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Strayan Better dead than red
    • I got it in spades.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »
+1
 :depressedlesbian: Sorry I wasn't informed that we stopped sailing awesome ships.

yowhatupg

• Domestic Threat
  • Awards cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut TNE Veteran Strayan
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 04:47:02 AM »
It's kinda interesting, naval ships aren't armoured at all these days, it's just too impractical to do anything to stop modern weapons.

wimpb

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
It's kinda interesting, naval ships aren't armoured at all these days, it's just too impractical to do anything to stop modern weapons.

Yeah, other than a few spall liners and that, there's nothing much there. If you can't shoot it down there isn't a whole lot you can do.

wimpb

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
Eric Hobsbawm took part in one of the most extraordinary conversations ever on British television. Speaking in 1994 to the author Michael Ignatieff about the fall of the Berlin Wall five years earlier, the historian was asked how he felt about his earlier support for the Soviet Union.

If Communism had achieved its aims, but at the cost of, say, 15 to 20 million people – as opposed to the 100million it actually killed in Russia and China – would Hobsbawm have supported it? His answer was a single word: ‘Yes’.

(snip)

He was awarded a Companion of Honour by Tony Blair – one of the highest accolades it is possible to bestow upon a British intellectual. A professor of history, he was regularly lionised on the BBC and in the liberal newspapers as our ‘greatest’ historian.

Well the Nazis only killed what? 6 million? Way less than 15 million. Sounds like Nazis are more efficient than commies in terms of goal/death ratio.

Actually I guess they got their shit kicked in so maybe not. Man, history is hard.

brolonium

• Cishet White Male
  • Alconauts
  • The rarest pepe
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »
+1
Hobsbawm was a disgrace and I'm glad he's dead.

Muttonfingers

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
+1
As someone on the People's Cube pointed out, for someone who loved the soviet union so much he showed a lamentable unwillingness to fuck off there when it was still around.

Oh wait - a lefty wants to force everyone else's circumstances to change instead of changing his own? Colour me surprised.

LITERALLY A RAPIST

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Resident Physician and Expert Warlock
  • Awards Something Wonderful cold, dead hands TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Machiavellian House Negro
  • Awards old Anonymous Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Something Wonderful
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
+1
The UK is all about defending the rights of the secondary and tertiary over the primary.  This applies to everything from people to products I guess.  Go Scotland!

Muttonfingers

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
+1
http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-jobless-man-who-refuses-to-get-up-at-8am-64710

Listen to this remarkable call from Paul, an unemployed man who turned down a job because he didn't want to start at 8am.

Paul has been unemployed for seven years and revealed that he was recently offered a job, but he thought it was unfair that he would have had to start that early.

The call infuriated Julia Hartley-Brewer, who was furious that he was still getting benefits, despite turning down employment.

Listen to the amazing conversation below...

Serious pro-click for the audio.

Fade to Vanilla

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
  • Kinda patronizing and cunty
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
+1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9869714/Schoolboy-excluded-for-wearing-regular-rather-than-clip-on-tie.html

Schoolboy excluded for wearing regular rather than clip-on tie

Max Richmond, 13, said the clip-on ones were uncomfortable and childish. He prefered to wear a traditional tie of exactly the same design, given to him by a neighbour.

He was put into educational isolation for a day, for wearing the proper tie at Colne Community School in Brightlingsea, Essex. He was given work to complete on his own in a small cubicle.

The 1,438-pupil school insisted pupils wore clip-on ties for health and safety reasons.

Max, of Waterside, Brightlingsea, said: "It seems bizarre and unnecessary especially over something like the tie I was wearing. I like wearing a real tie because it feels proper. People have worn them for generations, and if you are not wearing one during secondary school then you are never going to learn the necessary skills for when you go into the world of work. When you are wearing a clip-on tie it is hard to be taken seriously, especially when you go to competitions against other schools - it feels foolish, and childish."

The school has agreed to review the policy. Nardeep Sharma, headteacher, said the rule was introduced about three years ago to support the health and safety of young people. He said: "This was in line with the practice in most secondary schools nationally.

"The policy can only be changed by governors and a parent has requested the governors review this policy, which the school has agreed to do."

Max said he welcomed the review and hoped the governors would take his points on board.

Roger Bibbings, occupational safety adviser for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said schools can make pupils wear clip-on ties, but should not cite health and safety grounds. "It might be a sensible precaution if a school insists on pupils wearing ties while handling rotating machinery, such as in a school workshop, but for any other reason you cannot say this policy was required under health and safety law."

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive added: "It seems to us to be a disproportionate response."

Goddamnit E/N.

whatthedickesisthis

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »
+1
Prohibition of normal ties for safety reasons is somewhat

:freud:

Muttonfingers

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
That's the thing - a few weeks ago the Health & Safety Executive put out a massive press release that basically boiled down to "stop being fucking retarded, and if you ARE going to be fucking retarded then at least stop citing made-up H&S rules as the reason".
Rest of the release was pretty much going through all the "health and safety gone mad" stories that have made headlines in the last five years and saying WHAT THE FUCK YOU IDIOTS THERE AREN'T ANY RULES AGAINST THIS.

Roger Bibbings, occupational safety adviser for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said schools can make pupils wear clip-on ties, but should not cite health and safety grounds. "It might be a sensible precaution if a school insists on pupils wearing ties while handling rotating machinery, such as in a school workshop, but for any other reason you cannot say this policy was required under health and safety law."
Insisting that you keep your fucking tie on while you operate a lathe is the problem here, not whether the ties are clip-ons.

whatthedickesisthis

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »
+1
Not having brawls with Romans or Germans from time to time made UK not much good. 

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist Took Down an Admin You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran United Statesian Bah Jaysus! Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:22 AM »
+2
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9869714/Schoolboy-excluded-for-wearing-regular-rather-than-clip-on-tie.html

Schoolboy excluded for wearing regular rather than clip-on tie

Max Richmond, 13, said the clip-on ones were uncomfortable and childish. He prefered to wear a traditional tie of exactly the same design, given to him by a neighbour.

He was put into educational isolation for a day, for wearing the proper tie at Colne Community School in Brightlingsea, Essex. He was given work to complete on his own in a small cubicle.

The 1,438-pupil school insisted pupils wore clip-on ties for health and safety reasons.

Max, of Waterside, Brightlingsea, said: "It seems bizarre and unnecessary especially over something like the tie I was wearing. I like wearing a real tie because it feels proper. People have worn them for generations, and if you are not wearing one during secondary school then you are never going to learn the necessary skills for when you go into the world of work. When you are wearing a clip-on tie it is hard to be taken seriously, especially when you go to competitions against other schools - it feels foolish, and childish."

The school has agreed to review the policy. Nardeep Sharma, headteacher, said the rule was introduced about three years ago to support the health and safety of young people. He said: "This was in line with the practice in most secondary schools nationally.

"The policy can only be changed by governors and a parent has requested the governors review this policy, which the school has agreed to do."

Max said he welcomed the review and hoped the governors would take his points on board.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive added: "It seems to us to be a disproportionate response."

That kid is a true Junior Realtalker though.
 :swanson:

yowhatupg

• Domestic Threat
  • Awards cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut TNE Veteran Strayan
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:04:08 AM »
Nardeep Sharma, headteacher

oh come now.
not the ethnicity, but the "headteacher".  :facepalm:

we wore ties in woodworking and metalworking, but tucked them into our shirts and wore leather aprons on top. late 90s-ish.

whatthedickesisthis

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »
A question here, is it true that in the UK you can be charged if you assault someone like a burgular or some angry junkhead on your own property?