;

Author Topic: All-purpose religious argument clusterfuck thread  (Read 6361 times)

Bill Wilkins

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Classicist Bah Jaysus! You can't know!
    • Awards
Re: All-purpose religious argument clusterfuck thread
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »
+10
So your arguement for a higher power is that you're sexually attracted to individuals/features as determined entirely by biological impulses buried deep into the most basic and ancient parts of your lizard brain? That's like, I don't know, showing a picture of a cute puppy and saying "Why do I find this so adorable, it must be a higher power working towards good and love", and completely ignore that the only reason you find puppies cute is because you are also a fucking warm-blooded mammal that shares a lot of physical features and behavioural traits with them. The same reason most people feel sad when they see a seal with big melty wet eyes getting the shit clubbed out of it, as opposed to a hissing, venemous snake. Is one of these animal's lives worth more than the other in God's eyes, just because of the way they are perceived by people?

Also there are many animals that have ceased to evolve, staying in niches that have remained stable for centuries. Then there's the many, many species that evolved themselves into a dead-end. I don't see evolution as a constant positive, it's merely the reaction of organisms to their environment, it can easily fuck up. The tactic of life seems to be more scattered shotgun blast than incisive scalpel surgery. Throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks. Granted, I may just be a lowly dumb human that cannot possibly perceive the Great Plan and there's a clear logic or order or justice behind it all, but if so it is beyond me.

sperg rush

• Unperson
  • Awards Deplorables Better dead than red You can't know! Fascist
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »
+1
Kek is real, no more debate plz

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Bah Jaysus! United Statesian Sasstronaut TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
+9
Every night, I pray to Kek.

Kek is love.

Kek is life.

It's toadily over now.
I had a penis in my butt the other day but I have a hard time really enjoying anal. It mostly feels like pooping.

Alt Frank

• Cishet White Male
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Ambien posting Jesuit Drinkin' and Postin' Fucked a lesbian
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2016, 04:55:11 AM »

This same principle also applies to liberals due to their extremely low birth rates

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Enemy Of The State
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards Boy Scout United Statesian Better dead than red Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »
+9
Generally I ascribe to the philosophy that religion and science, properly expressed, are different sides of the same coin.  Each attempting to explain and illuminate human experience and perception, one quantifiable, the other not.  A spiritual experience is not any more or less "real" to the individual than some law of nature, at least insofar as it happened and was perceived.

Each facet of human experience should work in tandem, emboldening and strenthenong the other.  Any conflict between the two is a lack of knowledge or understanding about one, the other, or both.

Excremental Marx

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Fuck you, dad! old Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2016, 05:30:00 AM »
+2
Generally I ascribe to the philosophy that religion and science, properly expressed, are different sides of the same coin.  Each attempting to explain and illuminate human experience and perception, one quantifiable, the other not.  A spiritual experience is not any more or less "real" to the individual than some law of nature, at least insofar as it happened and was perceived.

Each facet of human experience should work in tandem, emboldening and strenthenong the other.  Any conflict between the two is a lack of knowledge or understanding about one, the other, or both.

That is an excellent way to put it, dear sir.
Let me take you to the movies, Can I take you to the show
Let me be yours ever truly, Can I make your garden grow?

are we dead yet

• Cishet White Male
  • JIDF
  • popping shekels
  • Awards Deplorables Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon 420
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »
+6

Why is it that knowing that a sunset is electromagnetic radiation doesn't add to its beauty for so many people? Why did the culture take the complete opposite path one should take? That I am a complex network of what, in a lab, is just liquids and shit sitting deaf, dumb, and mute in a test tube, why doesn't this make life more awe-inspiring? Why does the fact we occupy such an infinitesimal part of the universe not make life more precious? Why isn't the proof of a higher power existence itself? Where does it say we need to have galaxy cluster-spanning empires for life to Officially Count? Your post is totally sane and reasonable to me and a conclusion 99% of people who have lived even just a smidge should easily arrive at by themselves. But it seems they don't. No one really cares. Oh well.

I want to personally apologize to every reader who was hurt by the Sausage Party review. I failed you as a senior editor of this website and I failed you as an ally. I am wholly sorry for the pain and anger I caused you. I offer you no justification. I was blinded by my own whiteness existing inside a system of white supremacy. I must do better. I will do better.

The Trumpriarch

• Unperson
  • Awards Deplorables Better dead than red United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
+1

Why is it that knowing that a sunset is electromagnetic radiation doesn't add to its beauty for so many people? Why did the culture take the complete opposite path one should take?

Because you get rid of the 'mystery.' Once you remove that, a lot people get bored and lose interest in shit pretty quick.
cry "bigot!" and let slip the troons of war

Excremental Marx

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Fuck you, dad! old Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
+3
Because you get rid of the 'mystery.' Once you remove that, a lot people get bored and lose interest in shit pretty quick.

The truth is that there is another mystery behind the one you just solved. We are as close to understanding the Universe around as an ant colony is to building another Empire State Building. People tend to be lazy. Thinking and reading about the Universe and its secrets requires a lot a attention, time and imagination.
Let me take you to the movies, Can I take you to the show
Let me be yours ever truly, Can I make your garden grow?

are we dead yet

• Cishet White Male
  • JIDF
  • popping shekels
  • Awards Deplorables Drinkin' and Postin' Classicist Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon 420
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »

Why is it that knowing that a sunset is electromagnetic radiation doesn't add to its beauty for so many people? Why did the culture take the complete opposite path one should take?

It really is a language issue. We don't know what matter is in itself. "Wave-like excitations of a background field" and "frozen spirit" are both valid descriptions (if we define spirit as that field from which matter and energy inexplicably emerged). You're right that's what's going on, but it's just a shame.

I want to personally apologize to every reader who was hurt by the Sausage Party review. I failed you as a senior editor of this website and I failed you as an ally. I am wholly sorry for the pain and anger I caused you. I offer you no justification. I was blinded by my own whiteness existing inside a system of white supremacy. I must do better. I will do better.

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Enemy Of The State
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards Boy Scout United Statesian Better dead than red Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
+3

Why is it that knowing that a sunset is electromagnetic radiation doesn't add to its beauty for so many people? Why did the culture take the complete opposite path one should take? That I am a complex network of what, in a lab, is just liquids and shit sitting deaf, dumb, and mute in a test tube, why doesn't this make life more awe-inspiring? Why does the fact we occupy such an infinitesimal part of the universe not make life more precious? Why isn't the proof of a higher power existence itself? Where does it say we need to have galaxy cluster-spanning empires for life to Officially Count? Your post is totally sane and reasonable to me and a conclusion 99% of people who have lived even just a smidge should easily arrive at by themselves. But it seems they don't. No one really cares. Oh well.

Pride.  Man is very good at convincing himself he knows everything and is therefore a God.  It usually doesn't take much to bring that self-deception crashing down.  Contemplating competition for the position, even in an abstract, undermines the illusion of control and the delusion of divinity.

Bill Wilkins

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Classicist Bah Jaysus! You can't know!
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
+11
I find the history of science and religion both fascinating and atheists who try to evangelize the former and trash the latter are tremendous faggots hth

Magnus Johnson

• Person Of Interest
  • Awards Fascist Deplorables For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Scrooge Classicist Texan You can't know!
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »
+3
You can tell the Bible is bullshit because no benevolent cosmic power would look at the Jews and say, "Yeah, those guys. They're definitely my favorite."

Ghostse

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Don't look away. Don't ever look away.
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
+7
You can tell the Bible is bullshit because no benevolent cosmic power would look at the Jews and say, "Yeah, those guys. They're definitely my favorite."

You know how you have that one really old friend who used to be super cool back in the day, but they started to change and now they aren't cool anymore, but you've been down together for so long?

Luckpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Knights
  • Awards Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon Texan cold, dead hands Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
+6

You know how you have that one really old friend who used to be super cool back in the day, but they started to change and now they aren't cool anymore, but you've been down together for so long?

That and the current Jews are kinda the Israelite equivalent of every white Euro mutt American who says LOL I'M IRISH on St. Patrick's Day.

Luckpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Knights
  • Awards Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon Texan cold, dead hands Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
+16
I saw on Reddit of all places an amazing summary of modern Atheism: "There is no God, and I hate him."

Goode G. Friday

• Enemy Of The State
  • Behold, I Make All Memes Dank
  • Awards Better dead than red Deplorables You can't know! United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
+5
Which is just a modern variant on "God doesn't exist, the bastard."

Monostats Infected Scrotum

• Cishet White Male
  • Goon Institute
  • Permanent Resident Of The Comedy Gas Chamber
  • Awards old Deplorables United Statesian Scrooge Fuck you, dad!
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:34 AM »
+2

It's more like God said from day one to the Jews in the Old Testament:

"Do what I say, you'll be blessed. I'm only handing this out to you guys and possibly to any non-Jews you happen to convince to jump onboard, but they have to do everything you do full-tilt in my Name. Screw this up, and I'll will make you all regret it."

The Jews proceeded to repeatedly fuck up a sure deal like the average Goon until the New Testament rolled around and he changed his mind to:

"Well, since the Jews screwed me over to the point they killed my earthly form and I still decided to be really nice about it, I'm gonna let anyone who wants salvation join in, and I'm even lowering the bar to the point they can't claim to be the only ones worth my attention anymore"
The greatest power you have is the power of yourself. If you give that up willingly? You Become Goon.

are we dead yet

• Cishet White Male
  • JIDF
  • popping shekels
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
+4
I saw on Reddit of all places an amazing summary of modern Atheism: "There is no God, and I hate him."

God is the ur-authority that sanctions all authority. Modern atheism isn't a cunthair above NO YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP DA-- CATHOLIC CHURCH and don't you forget it. Morality is having to eat your veggies and hell is timeout.