;

Author Topic: The Next Bigger Recession That Every is Talking About  (Read 12028 times)

The Soys Of Summer

• Unperson
    • Awards
Re: The Next Bigger Recession That Every is Talking About
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
+3
A little bit of thread topic necromancy here, but I've absolutely lost my mind in regards to "Luxury Apartments"

I live in a shitty part of the northeast (redundant) and despite the fact that nobody gets paid decently it's almost impossible to find non-shit, non-ghetto, non-student housing with 2br and an in-unit washer/dryer for under $1500/month (i lucked out and found a decent one for a bit less and close to work).  I've been looking at jobs out west in CA and everyone always says "BUT HOUSING SO EXPENSIVE"

Are you in MA?

All the brand new luxury apartments around Boston get turned into section 8. The ones at Wellington Circle and Alweife are great examples of this, you can walk around the integrated shops and bump into every form of lowlife imaginable.

Most of them are in prime commuting locations, but since they're oppressively high priced, they're half empty and filling up with Section 8. So the rest of us get to sit in 2 hours of traffic while some dirtbag gets a brand new luxury condo on the taxpayer dime.

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Unperson
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards Boy Scout Artist cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Scrooge Better dead than red United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
+1
A little bit of thread topic necromancy here, but I've absolutely lost my mind in regards to "Luxury Apartments"

I live in a shitty part of the northeast (redundant) and despite the fact that nobody gets paid decently it's almost impossible to find non-shit, non-ghetto, non-student housing with 2br and an in-unit washer/dryer for under $1500/month (i lucked out and found a decent one for a bit less and close to work).  I've been looking at jobs out west in CA and everyone always says "BUT HOUSING SO EXPENSIVE"

Are you in MA?

All the brand new luxury apartments around Boston get turned into section 8. The ones at Wellington Circle and Alweife are great examples of this, you can walk around the integrated shops and bump into every form of lowlife imaginable.

Most of them are in prime commuting locations, but since they're oppressively high priced, they're half empty and filling up with Section 8. So the rest of us get to sit in 2 hours of traffic while some dirtbag gets a brand new luxury condo on the taxpayer dime.

Nah, but not far off.  It's not section 8 here, just a lot of folks with dual incomes, but who can't afford houses due to insane property taxes, or out of town graduate students with roommates + mommy and daddy stipends.

Virtue Signalman First Class

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards  Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk! Classicist Drinkin' and Postin' old Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2017, 06:08:19 AM »
+1
Are you in MA?

Why isn't there a public outcry about this? Because that would be "rayciss"?
But I do often point out that I write both science fiction and fantasy. It’s just that the science fiction is usually titled ‘technical proposal’ and the fantasy is titled ‘budget proposal.’

- Jordin Kare

bigperm

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards United Statesian Better dead than red Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »
+2
I will tell you that I hope that one of the benefits from automation is more reasonable work weeks.  Like, actual 40 hour weeks instead of the common 50-60 most professionals are stuck in (and even many non-professionals, when you account for "manditory" hour-long lunches, lengthy commutes, off-the-clock fuckery, etc).

Eventually this is going to have to be the case. We're already at the point were most white-collar jobs do more like 15 hours of work in an actual work week. It's time to start agitating for things like a 30 hour work week, more work from home days, etc to face this reality.

White folks was in the caves while we was building empires!

We built pyramids before Donald Trump even knew what architecture was…

We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it

A Serpico Amongst Mods [02|Feb 10:33 AM]:   (I always agree with BP :smug: )

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
+6
I don't know.  You kinda need workplaces so people can socialize and develop the rapports they need to complete collaborative projects.  You can get more done with a single face-to-face conversation than you can with a hundred e-mail chains.

Dem Wypipo

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
+8
Most time spent in white collar jobs seem to be filling out TPS reports than actually doing work.

My employer has spent the past couple years coming up with ways to make things more efficient.  They succeeded...but then proceeded to use the extra time to require even more documentation on stuff.  There is very much a mentality that if you're working 40 hours a week, you're slacking on something.  Your ass better be working 50+ hours a week or else you will start to arouse suspicion.

Psycho Dad

• Cishet White Male
  • Eat a bowl of dicks, Sparky.
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon old Better dead than red United Statesian Scrooge cold, dead hands The Gentry For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Methodist
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
+19
A guy goes to the Post Office to apply for a job. The interviewer asks him, "Have you been in the service?"

"Yes," he says. "I was in Afghanistan for three years."

The interviewer says, "That will count as a bonus toward getting you the job" and then asks, "Are you disabled in any way?

The guy says, "Yes 100%... my Humvee hit an IED and blew my testicles off."

The interviewer tells the guy, "O. K. I can hire you right now. The hours are from 8:00 A. M. to 4:00 P. M. You can start tomorrow. Come in at 10:00 A. M."

The guy is puzzled and says, "If the hours are from 8:00 A. M. to 4:00 P. M. then why do you want me to come in at 10:00 A. M.?"

"This is a government job" the interviewer says. "For the first two hours we stand around scratching our balls. No point in you coming in for that."
Fuck signatures.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
+6

Are you in MA?

All the brand new luxury apartments around Boston get turned into section 8. The ones at Wellington Circle and Alweife are great examples of this, you can walk around the integrated shops and bump into every form of lowlife imaginable. 5 minn walk to the red line, across the street from a big grocery store and surrounded by bars and restaurants.

Here you go. I can hardly look at it. Half a million dollar (at the least) Section 8 apartments, with garage parking in downtown Boston at the most prime location you can possibly get.
http://www.tentcityapartments.com/
 :razor:

Our Nanny owns a unit in what's now been turned into a Section 8 facility in Dorchester. The place is fucking swanky. No joke, any hipster would be proud to live there. It's a converted factory full of lofts with studio lighting, exposed bricks, ceiling beams and HVAC ducts in the coolest way.

Meanwhile, I'm paying $2,150 for a 2 bedroom luxury just south of the suburbs, because my wife and I stuck our noses up at available duplexes in the greater Boston area. Maybe I didn't sift through enough duplexes, maybe I'm being a snob, maybe both. I just can't help but feeling the same way in that your options are between ghetto and luxury. The only middle ground is get fired, have more kids and apply for state-sanctioned, ghetto-luxruy..

I'd kill for a regular 2 bedroom for around $1800 with laundry in the building. I don't need a fucking pool, fire pit, clubhouse, putting green, dinky little gym, community room, etc. I just want a 2 bedroom, maybe with hardwood floors and central air for under 2 grand.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:41:18 PM by blasting_asshole »

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
+5
The multifamily industry was basically destroyed during the housing boom and the credit crunch (2002-2010 basically). Luxury apartments weren't really a thing and you'd just build up places that weren't terrible and move on. In 2010, developers really started to ramp up production and found out they could spend an extra million or two putting in granite and stainless steel appliances while charging 50-100% more for rent. This also goes for city planning since the cities didn't want people building shitty apartments, they wanted city centers.

Then, throwing an even bigger wrench into everything, is that California's real estate sector recovered and they were all cashing out. Thanks to 1031 exchanges, they would then avoid paying their massive capital gains by spending all the money on some newly developed property in some up and coming area of any US city. The price point was set (the entire amount to avoid capital gains) and the properties were doing well enough to justify the absurd prices (also rates at low as 3% on 25 million dollar loans). A lot of former hotspots are turning into wastelands though, and the funds/owners have been able to hold out on rents due to margins being good enough. Section 8 is a stop gap since those people destroy properties, a fact that a lot of these people don't know/don't remember since they haven't had to deal with section 8 in a decade.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
+5
found out they could spend an extra million or two putting in granite and stainless steel appliances while charging 50-100% more for rent.

Fuck that, they take it 3 steps further by building cheap foundations with particle board walls, and the flimsiest drywall known to man. Units are slightly stronger than a cardboard box. Fake trim, fake ceiling vaults and paper thin doors. Oh but gee wilikers! The power outlets have network jacks and USB ports! FAN-CY!

I've been "that guy" who corrected the leasing agent when he referred to the granite counter-tops as marble.  :rolleyes: "Oh, I don't know the difference."  :colbert: "Yea, sure you don't."

The housing market is just like the American auto industry where people want basic, functional and long-lasting, but all we're offered is luxurious, frivolous and flimsy. We went to the Japs for cars. Can't wait to see who/what we turn to for decent/affordable housing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:21:40 AM by blasting_asshole »

Drain The Swamp And Fill It With Piss

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • gas the I love cock more than jews does
  • Awards Killed in the Line of Posting TNE Veteran Fuck you, dad! United Statesian You can't know! Soldier Goon or Ex-Goon Classicist The Gentry cold, dead hands
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
+3
found out they could spend an extra million or two putting in granite and stainless steel appliances while charging 50-100% more for rent.

Fuck that, they take it 3 steps further by building cheap foundations with particle board walls, and the flimsiest drywall known to man. Units are slightly stronger than a cardboard box. Fake trim, fake ceiling vaults and paper thin doors. Oh but gee wilikers! The power outlets have network jacks and USB ports! FAN-CY!

I've been "that guy" who corrected the leasing agent when he referred to the granite counter-tops as marble.  :rolleyes: "Oh, I don't know the difference."  :colbert: "Yea, sure you don't."

The housing market is just like the American auto industry where people want basic, functional and long-lasting, but all we're offered is luxurious, frivolous and flimsy. We went to the Japs for cars. Can't wait to see who/what we turn to for decent/affordable housing.

for affordable, i think it's going to go the way the rest of the world - multi-generational housing, especially in urban areas.  i dont think that solves the issues of poorly constructed shit houses though.  I laugh to myself every time I drive past those track homes they put up in a month (Lennar, D.R. Horton, etc).  This is why the housing market is fundamentally flawed - and it may not correct itself in the next 30 years - but new houses are not built to last.  They will not be around in 100 years.  They may not even be around in 30 years.  They are built like jap homes (which are torn down and replaced every 30 years or so) but bought/sold/financed like they will be around forever.  I watched a neighborhood go up that friends of ours bought into, and the houses are literally plywood, siding, and cheap drywall.  But the counter-tops are granite!  They have "cherry cabinets"!

If you're looking for yourself, I suggest looking at homes built before 1980.  The house we're in now was built in the mid 1960s and is solid as fuck - cinder blocks for all the walls, the kind of drywall you need a hammer to hang something from, not a push-pin.  You can get away with homes in the 1980s if you're careful and look really closely, but anything in the 1990s and onward is guaranteed to be garbage.
This forum, like all iterations before it was started by a small group of people, many of whom have been posting together on various spinoffs going on 15 years now.

Dog's plans for the forum have been extensively discussed with 3 of the other 4 fagmins, via group PM, over a period of months.

The only ones "subverting" the forum here are the swole cru/wn/alt rightards who, by their own admission, want to change this forum from what it was, was intended to be, and what the former and current owners want it to be.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
+3
Multi-generational as in I'm stuck caring for my parents and children at the same time, right? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I assume every parent sets their sights on their children having the same or somewhat similar life experiences as themselves, which is why I'm fine with "college ghetto" for when my kids hit that age. Certainly no shortage of that, so far, which is fine. I'm down to pay $800 a month for my boy to rent a room in a multi-family that basically acts as a frat house, during college. He can graduate and I'll let him live on my dole until he finds an entry-level job that'll hopefully pay that rent. Maybe he'll find a girl who will drag him (kicking and screaming) away from that lifestyle or travel... Either way, none of this live-at-home neckbeard shit.

Point being: My dad expected me to be living in a nice-enough one bedroom apartment once I graduated and found an entry level job. That was his experience. No way I could have afforded that, so I lived in a safe-neighborhood shithole and had a ton of fun partying and getting drunk enough to find humor in my living situation. I'll always look back at that time of my life with fond memories...

Bachelor pads over time...
Apartment > 1 bedroom apartment (my father) > shitty studio > renting a bedroom (This was me) > ???(my son here)???

Now, I expect the same for him, because that was my experience...

What would the "generational downgrade" be in this instance, if housing market trends continue? I don't wanna fucking imagine. At this rate, I'm sure it'll either be...
-Living at home until he's 30 and commuting to college like a goddamn high schooler.
-Sharing a room as opposed to sharing a unit.
-Living in a nigger-ghetto as opposed to frat house ghetto.
-Living on my dole in a decent environment.

On the flip-side, I'm sure my dad looked at my living situation and thought "This is way worse than what I experienced at his age. Very sad." Meanwhile, I'm wooping it up at the bar across the street on Friday, blazing in my room on Saturdays and skating the neighbor's miniramp on Sundays. Hopefully whatever economic downgrade my son is faced with, he'll be able to combat it with moderate, early-20s degeneracy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:12:52 AM by blasting_asshole »

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »

That was going to happen anyway.

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon old Swear on me mum m8
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »

That's pretty normal in Central and Eastern Europe. In the race to the bottom this is what people should start getting used to in the West.

POST FRANK

• Cishet White Male
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Ambien posting Fucked a lesbian Jesuit Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
+4
Multi-generational as in I'm stuck caring for my parents and children at the same time, right? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I assume every parent sets their sights on their children having the same or somewhat similar life experiences as themselves, which is why I'm fine with "college ghetto" for when my kids hit that age. Certainly no shortage of that, so far, which is fine. I'm down to pay $800 a month for my boy to rent a room in a multi-family that basically acts as a frat house, during college. He can graduate and I'll let him live on my dole until he finds an entry-level job that'll hopefully pay that rent. Maybe he'll find a girl who will drag him (kicking and screaming) away from that lifestyle or travel... Either way, none of this live-at-home neckbeard shit.

Point being: My dad expected me to be living in a nice-enough one bedroom apartment once I graduated and found an entry level job. That was his experience. No way I could have afforded that, so I lived in a safe-neighborhood shithole and had a ton of fun partying and getting drunk enough to find humor in my living situation. I'll always look back at that time of my life with fond memories...

Bachelor pads over time...
Apartment > 1 bedroom apartment (my father) > shitty studio > renting a bedroom (This was me) > ???(my son here)???

Now, I expect the same for him, because that was my experience...

What would the "generational downgrade" be in this instance, if housing market trends continue? I don't wanna fucking imagine. At this rate, I'm sure it'll either be...
-Living at home until he's 30 and commuting to college like a goddamn high schooler.
-Living in a nigger-ghetto as opposed to frat house ghetto.
-Living on my dole in a decent environment.

On the flip-side, I'm sure my dad looked at my living situation and thought "This is way worse than what I experienced at his age. Very sad." Meanwhile, I'm wooping it up at the bar across the street on Friday, blazing in my room on Saturdays and skating the neighbor's miniramp on Sundays. Hopefully whatever economic downgrade my son is faced with, he'll be able to combat it with moderate, early-20s degeneracy.

I kind of get this. My parents were raised solid middle class, their parents paid for their undergrad degrees, then they crashed with their folks for a little less than 2 years each while they worked entry level and saved money. Then they met, moved out, got married, bought a house, continuously worked their way up into the upper crust of the 1%, got divorced and both are still comfortably in the top 1%.

They raised me and my siblings with similar expectations: we'll pay for you through undergrad and then it's up to you to make something of yourself. I got my degree, briefly moved home while I found a job and got my life in order, then was cut off.

What I don't get is this bullshit hand holding mentality amongst my generation. I can get moving home for a year or two right after graduating if you are either actively pursuing work or working and saving, as that's what I did, but I don't get having your folks pay your rent and/or living expenses after undergrad. This seems not uncommon amongst lower-middle class acquaintances of mine, who are either working menial jobs or pursuing pointless graduate degrees in order to seem like they're doing something worthwhile. Neither of those pursuits have any potential for upward mobility.

I've noticed that, generally, those who actually care about working hard and improving their lives are kids from the upper middle class whose parents fell short of breaking into the 1%. Either Americans who want to achieve what their parents couldn't or foreigners that want to learn an actual trade they can take back to their home country and, similarly, break into the 1%. That's not to say all kids are lazy or directionless, it's just a definite pattern I've noticed.

Times have changed though. I would never be able to afford to buy a house like my parents or my grandparents did in their mid 20s working entry level positions. That's my 2 cents

Handyman

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Deplorables Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian old The Gentry Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »
+4
My kid is not living with me after college.  And if he does, I'm going to watch TV in my underwear with sandals and black socks whenever he brings a date home. 

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
+6
My kid is not living with me after college.  And if he does, I'm going to watch TV in my underwear with sandals and black socks whenever he brings a date home.
You sound like my dad, minus the underwear.
His name was Harry Anderson

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
+1
Yea, I'll decide to what extent I support him after graduation, when the time comes, but there will be a cutoff. If he can't find a job in time and has to move back home, I'm gonna make it fucking unbearable. I won't make him pay rent as that would be counter-productive towards him moving out, but I will enforce a chore routine, curfew, bedtime, etc. As far as mom is concerned... she's just mom. She will always will be mom. He will always be "MA MA'S BAYYY BEEEE" Enough said.

Right now, my "comfy dad clothes" are half destroyed slippers, a ratty old Tool (band) t-shirt, and a tropical bathing suit. Good luck with bringing a date home to that drinking beer, while spinning 80s techno vinyls in the living room.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:13:31 PM by blasting_asshole »

Backpfeifengesicht

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Deplorables Anonymous Methodist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Texan cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
+4
Right now, my "comfy dad clothes" are half destroyed slippers, a ratty old Tool (band) t-shirt, and a tropical bathing suit. Good luck with bringing a date home to that drinking beer, while spinning 80s techno vinyls in the living room.

You're carrying on a fine Dad Tradition. When I was in high school, if my dad knew I was bringing a date over he'd often find an excuse to work on some DIY project in the garage so I'd roll up with a girl to find him lurking there to embarrass me in a welder's cap and Dad Shorts.
Quote from: George Lincoln Rockwell
The Conservatives have a slogan which I think is despicable and defeatist: "It's better to be dead than red." And the Commies and Liberals have a slogan which is even worse, it's treason, they say: "It's better to be red than dead." We say this: "You don't have to be Red and you don't have to be Dead. Not dead. Not Red. Dead Reds"

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • Awards Killed in the Line of Posting TNE Veteran Fuck you, dad! United Statesian You can't know! Soldier Goon or Ex-Goon Classicist The Gentry cold, dead hands
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
+6
Times have changed though. I would never be able to afford to buy a house like my parents or my grandparents did in their mid 20s working entry level positions.

My wife and I lived with her parents for about 2 years after undergrad working full-time and going to grad school in the evenings.  They wouldn't let us pay for a damn thing, kept telling us to put it toward a house, kids, etc.  We ended up saving like 80%+ of our incomes over those two years and it really helped us get set up for the future.  In my mind, this seems like a really happy medium between "pay your kid's rent" and "cut them off completely" - there was an expectation that we needed to be productive and they covered the basics while we saved up.  I wouldn't mind having the same situation with my kids. 
This forum, like all iterations before it was started by a small group of people, many of whom have been posting together on various spinoffs going on 15 years now.

Dog's plans for the forum have been extensively discussed with 3 of the other 4 fagmins, via group PM, over a period of months.

The only ones "subverting" the forum here are the swole cru/wn/alt rightards who, by their own admission, want to change this forum from what it was, was intended to be, and what the former and current owners want it to be.

Uncle Touchy

• Domestic Threat
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
+3
Yea, I think that's the razor's edge: having parents that are aware / based enough to realize whether or not Junior is giving a fuck or has no fucks to give. Helping out your kids, well shit... that's the reason you had them I would hope... to successfully continue your line. But in some cases, it's just good money being thrown after bad and you've raised failures unable to handle society.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
Yea, I think that's the razor's edge: having parents that are aware / based enough to realize whether or not Junior is giving a fuck or has no fucks to give.

That's just it. I'd spare him a bunch of nonsense if he had to move back home, in order to save. On the flip-side if I started to notice him going out all the time, buying stupid bullshit, etc. that would be a GTFO situation.

It's really gonna depend on how based his generation will grow up to become. I'll encourage him as much as I can, but looking around and seeing your friends either A) getting the fuck out of dodge and experiencing life on their own or B) Lingering around at home so they can spend their money on Jordans and night club liquor, every weekend. Will be a huge factor.

I've heard enough hometown rumors about grade school kids getting REALLY dicked over by group-text jokes, Facebook memes, edgelord humor, etc. so I'm optimistic.

Worst example I've heard is a from a friend of my mom. Their family has this awesome Doberman who's as sweet/friendly as can be, but also a little "much." He's a hyperactive nutcase with high blood-pressure, chalked up to anxiety (according to the vet). Long story short, they give him dog xanax. Hilarious. The whole school jokes about it, so naturally the kid is gonna get texts like "Hey brah, sell me some dog xannys?" etc. How's he gonna respond? "I don't know who this is, but I do not condone drug use and/or the trafficking of narcotics! Please delete this number, post haste!"

He was in and out of court his entire freshman and sophomore years of high school. There's all kinds of fuckery going on where discussion or evidence of any kind = proof.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:14:09 AM by blasting_asshole »

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
+9
the following is a rare, unironic, non-troll, genuine Grover Post:

Before I had kids, I was very much a "nurture" kind of person as far as what really influences kids.  When I had kids, I saw a lot of genetics at play with their behaviors and tendencies and I swung far into the "nature" side of the debate.  As they've gotten older, I'm realizing that the interplay is not "nature versus nurture" as it's so often made out to be.  Rather, genetics gives kids certain innate interests or behaviors or desires, and it's my job to figure out how to nurture them to help them grow up the way I want them to.  Sometimes nurturing means pushing my oldest to be a little bit more adventurous, and other times it means trying to restrain my middle one a bit.  I've had to adapt my parenting style to match my kids while still instilling the values that I want them to be grow up with. 

I think the mistake a lot of parents make is to have one, take-it-or-leave-it style of parenting their children, and for some kids, their style works and for others it falls flat on it's face.  For an unfortunate few, it leads to complete and total failure, drug use, jail, anime, etc. Thus, within the same family, you get some kids who successfully launch and others who have no aspirations and work a miniumum wage job as a manager at Foot Locker (and a sad few who kill themselves or do crystal meth).  In the future, I may need to kick one of my kids out, while I may want another to come live with us after school.  Having hard and fast, rigid "rules" is a recipe to fuck up your kids ("no son of mine is ever going to do X", "this family only does Y"). 

I think the place parents go wrong is buying into the insistence on "fairness".  As a society and culture, we have promoted "fairness" as the be-all, end-all in human relationships.  It's only a recent phenomenon that anyone gives two shits about "fairness" or even the idea that "fairness" exists - and I think all of us are based enough to know it doesn't.  My eldest has tried to play the "fairness" card (usually in the few instances he's had to go to bed earlier than his younger brothers), and it's been a good opportunity to talk about the reality of the world.

I want him to know my wife and I love him unconditionally, but I never want him to think  that the world is fair or that anyone owes him anything.

edit: I think this is exactly why single parent households raise children who are compromised.  Step-parents, especially if stable and long-term, do better, but not nearly as well as both biological parents parenting in the same household.  If you are a single parent, there is no balance - my wife and I complement each other (I'm a little too firm, she's a little too lenient).  Most functional couples tend to.  Alone, there is no one to give you a break, or to say "hey, we should really do something about that", or to, you know, do the every-day grind of children with.  Step parents are better because at least there is someone to be there with the bio-parent, but most step-parents tend to be too involved in discipline (usually step-fathers) or too un-involved (step-mothers) but still expected to be there for the daily grind, have a relationship with the kids, etc.  That represents an unbalanced equation.  It's rare that any step-parents find a sweet-spot where they can completely replace the bio-parent (rare, but not impossible, and way more likely if the step-parent is around for 5, 10, 20 years).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:51:00 PM by Drain The Swamp And Fill It With Piss »

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
+1
 :eminem: Alright Grover, what's good with that fishy as hell post? I'm feeling like there's more that meets the eye here. Maybe I'm reaching, but...

"had kids" as in used to have kids and now you don't? Nature vs nurture in regards to genetics. Biological children/parent relationships vs step children/step parent relationships?

Tell us about your wild ride with a single mom. Not trying to have a laugh, I just get the feeling there's some good stories lurking around the corner.

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
+3
:eminem: Alright Grover, what's good with that fishy as hell post? I'm feeling like there's more that meets the eye here. Maybe I'm reaching, but...

"had kids" as in used to have kids and now you don't? Nature vs nurture in regards to genetics. Biological children/parent relationships vs step children/step parent relationships?

Tell us about your wild ride with a single mom. Not trying to have a laugh, I just get the feeling there's some good stories lurking around the corner.

No, you're completely off to base.  My wife and I have 3 kids.  "had kids" to differentiate "before we had kids".  Never been with a single mom because I'm not a degenerate and i don't support degenerate behavior.  No crazy stories, just a Nice White Aryan Couple with their White Aryan Children trying to make their way in this fucked up, degenerate world.