;

Author Topic: Game site tries to be funny and people get really upset  (Read 5582 times)

Birk

• Unperson
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Drinkin' and Postin' For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
Game site tries to be funny and people get really upset
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
How I  achieved greatness on a sonic the hedgehog themed bed.

OR: Kotataku attempts satire and a bunch of Gaymers get offended.

http://kotaku.com/5888677/how-i-achieved-greatness-on-a-sonic-the-hedgehog+themed-bed

[Editor's Note: We've taken some heat for this story. Some didn't find it funny. To that I expect condemnation only for our taste. But to those who feel the story supported a view that our readers are all straight, male gamers, I do apologize. I should have caught that in the editing process of what was intended to be a light, humorous story. No article on this site should make you feel that you don't count as a gamer. If this article made you feel that way, I apologize. That's not on Kris, who was simply trying to entertain our readers. That's on me. -Stephen Totilo, Editor-in-Chief, Kotaku.com ]

lol the comments.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old cold, dead hands Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
Re: Game site tries to be funny and people get really upset
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »
What in the fuck?
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.

wimpb

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
WE APOLOGIZE FOR  PRODUCING  MATERIAL AIMED AT OUR ACTUAL DEMOGRAPHIC

So, let me get this straight, you can't even produce a work of fiction or satire featuring straight characters for fear excluding everyone else? What if someone felt excluded because there was no bestiality?

I'm 99% sure that the next Bioware RPG will have a tranny in it.

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
Hey, 50% of gamers are gurl gamerz guys! That is, if you agree with the ESRB that some cunt playing Angry Birds Rio on her iPhone is a gamer that Kotaku needs to pander to.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old cold, dead hands Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »
Don't forget Farmville, bigot!!!

internet culture

• Cishet White Male
  • cyber-society scholar
  • Awards Inshallah! Fuck you, dad! Autistic Anonymous Sasstronaut You can't know! Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
This trend of internet nerds getting up in arms over 'bigotry in the gaming medium' is the most insincere, gooniest shit. It's just another way to create a pecking order within a social outcast nerd environment and claim superiority over all the other goons, much like boasting about your 'hardcore gamer' skills.

I don't even think it's a bad idea to also appeal to the women who actually like games beyond Angry Birds and Farmville, but the people running 'gamer' websites and making games have no idea what women like. "Here, we made Lara Croft's tits smaller, you can come out and play our game now. :)".

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
I wonder what effect it has had so far on the industry. Bioware is a lost cause at this point, but I wonder what other companies are going to be putting trannies in their games at the behest of gamers working on Humanities majors.

Birk

• Unperson
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Drinkin' and Postin' For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »
+1
So um I guess this is like a counter article to that one in the OP... maybe?

http://kotaku.com/5910857/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is

I dunno.

Man video games are a lot different nowadays...

E: he wrote a follow up...

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/17/lowest-difficulty-setting-follow-up/

Seems like a real cool dude.

lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:36:54 PM by Birk »

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Well, if blacks do have, on average, an IQ about one-half standard deviation lower than that of whites, then, yes, I suppose that's hard mode. Of course, research is ongoing.

Looking at the featured comments on that article, however, there may be some hope for Kotaku's readership yet. Scalzi was as universally disdained as that guy who got laid on the Sonic the Hedgehog bed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:54:11 PM by Spokker »

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Resident Physician and Expert Warlock
  • Awards cold, dead hands Something Wonderful TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
+1
Ever notice how all this stuff about white male privilege is primarily advocated by individuals that are insulated from minorities within white communities? Scalzi, the author, lives in Ohio which is 82% white.

wimpb

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
I remember when Gears of War came out and everyone was like, "woah there's all these guys in this game and no women, and they're all big and muscly, its so homoerotic". Most of it was in jest, but I fucking laughed when in the sequel (or the third maybe) they added a chick to the game.

Imagine if the original Prince of Persia came out today, or even the original Mario. Male hero rescues helpless princess! Sexist!

So if straight white male is easy mode, am I playing the fucking tutorial or something? Maybe I'm too fucking retarded to see the giant red arrows telling me where to go and what to do since I'm still looking for a full-time job.

wimpb

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »
+1
Ever notice how all this stuff about white male privilege is primarily advocated by individuals that are insulated from minorities within white communities? Scalzi, the author, lives in Ohio which is 82% white.

"I'm a white guy and I've never worked a real day of work in my life.  Therefore, white people have it easy."

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:42:59 AM by Spokker »

wimpb

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
+1
Ninety-seven percent of the bus and train operators at the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority are black, with only six white women out of more than 3,000 drivers, according to Metro documents — a lack of diversity at one of the region’s largest employers that has led to an acknowledgment of failure in affirmative-action documents and spawned a series of lawsuits.

Uh, that's not a lack of diversity, 97% are black, that's diverse.

Incidentally, the (black) mayor of Washington DC was jailed for crack cocaine possession and use. Not only did he continue as mayor during his trial, he was re-elected a few years later.

Man, if that's not hard mode I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:42:47 PM by wimpb »

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
+1
Ninety-seven percent of the bus and train operators at the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority are black, with only six white women out of more than 3,000 drivers, according to Metro documents — a lack of diversity at one of the region’s largest employers that has led to an acknowledgment of failure in affirmative-action documents and spawned a series of lawsuits.

Incidentally, the (black) mayor of Washington DC was jailed for crack cocaine possession and use. Not only did he continue as mayor during his trial, he was re-elected a few years later.

Man, if that's not hard mode I don't know what is.
You're talking about Marion Barry. It was videotaped. And he had a prostitute in the room.

As for not getting it because you live in a white bubble, see also northern Europe, where every white girl dreams of being impregnated with noble Negro seed.

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
Marion Barry, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4Rbdtw6uw

Back when Howard Stern wasn't a liberal Hamptons cunt.

Doctor Jizzmopper

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • ~*Panzer Katze*~
  • Awards Deplorables Took Down an Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
So um I guess this is like a counter article to that one in the OP... maybe?

http://kotaku.com/5910857/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is

I dunno.

Man video games are a lot different nowadays...

E: he wrote a follow up...

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/17/lowest-difficulty-setting-follow-up/

Seems like a real cool dude.

lol

Heh, just checked his books and most of his shit seems to be "borrowed" from other authors. Guess that is easy  mode there as well.
My favorite Aatrek episode is "City on the Edge of A School Zone"

Kevin Dawes was sold out by Eliot Higgins.

Spanish Manlove is Luis Franco-Waite

The Postal Dude: I suppose it would have been more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first.

yowhatupg

• Domestic Threat
  • Awards cold, dead hands Strayan TNE Veteran Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »

There was a press release or study or something from the NFL that said exactly that, heh.

Birk

• Unperson
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »

There was a press release or study or something from the NFL that said exactly that, heh.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/11/top10_diversity.html

lol

Doctor Jizzmopper

• Cishet White Male
  • Space Racists
  • ~*Panzer Katze*~
  • Awards Deplorables Took Down an Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »
+1

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/11/top10_diversity.html

lol

70 percent players of color in the National Football League. And at the beginning of the 2011 season, the National Basketball Association reported 83 percent players of color, Major League Soccer reported 48 percent players of color, and Major League Baseball reported 38 percent players of color.

Now does the NBA numbers count that big ole Chinese dude? Because Asians  don't get coverage under AA.....

Still, do these people get confused easy? 83% isn't diverse at all.
My favorite Aatrek episode is "City on the Edge of A School Zone"

Kevin Dawes was sold out by Eliot Higgins.

Spanish Manlove is Luis Franco-Waite

The Postal Dude: I suppose it would have been more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first.

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »
+1
Baseball tends to reflect general demographic trends better, plus a shitload of Dominicans.

MLB Total: 60% W-EUD, 9% B-AFD, 28.5% H/LD, 2.5% ASD
70% National, 30% International

Looking at it by position, they tend to stick blacks in the outfield. Blacks are rarely catchers.

MLB By Position:
Pitcher – 68% W-EUD, 3% B-AFD, 26% H/LD, 3% ASD
Catcher – 61% W-EUD, 1% B-AFD, 37% H/LD, 1% ASD
Infielder – 50% W-EUD, 9% B-AFD, 39% H/LD, 2% ASD
Outfielder – 49% W-EUD, 27% B-AFD, 21% H/LD, 3% ASD
One very insensitive and offensive thing you could do is research the hardest positions to play in baseball and then compare it to the positions blacks generally play. Catcher is routinely cited as one of the hardest, if not the hardest, defensive positions to play. Blacks generally prove their worth in baseball with a bat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:59:35 PM by Spokker »