;

Author Topic: GBS RSS  (Read 122783 times)

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting. Sasstronaut
    • Awards
Re: Re: GBS RSS
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2012, 02:14:02 AM »
First off, you patriarchal bastards, she was raped.  Plain and simple.  Have a fucking heart.
I can't believe they allow raw, uncensored rape on YouTube.
If it ain't raw, it ain't rape.
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Resident Physician and Expert Warlock
  • Awards cold, dead hands Something Wonderful TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »
From the thread about pharma juggernaut GlaxoSmithKline getting fined 5 billion-

Quote from: Jesto
Why are companies like this given 'a fine'.

Why is it never "Well, looks like you fucked up good and proper, time to seize all of your assets to compensate victims and destroy your piece of shit company."

Because there is no reason to fine them in this particular scenario. They have proven incapable of running a legitimate business, they deserve to have their company torn down and all their executives thrown in jail.

hi I have no understanding in business and law, especially as it applies to enormous corporations. rather than admit it and sit by the sidelines, i'm going to spout off my ignorant opinion and leave no room for debate.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Motorcyclist For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Libertarian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting. Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
I know an attorney for GSK. She went to Wake Forest undergrad and UNC law. I don't find her to be that impressive.

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Machiavellian House Negro
  • Awards old Something Wonderful Anonymous Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
First off, you patriarchal bastards, she was raped.  Plain and simple.  Have a fucking heart.
I can't believe they allow raw, uncensored rape on YouTube.

Thanks awesome.  Everyone of them are examples of goon rape.  Even when the roles are reversed sexually, this is still perceived as rape by goons.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Awards cold, dead hands Something Wonderful TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Hey remember when a goon started up a thread about making a website called 'People Who Said Nigger Today' where they would post the pictures and names of anyone who dared to say nigger on facebook? Remember how goons cheered that on and it was a-okay and if you disagreed with it you were a fucking bigot who deserved to be outed and shamed?

Well someone else in Kansas City is doing that, except it's actually people who have been arrested for things like DUI, assault, domestic battery, not paying child support, etc, and he's charging people $150 to get their faces taken off the website. This entire thread is goondoublethink.txt:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493270&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

every page is ignorant fucking goons.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
I gotta say I'm not cool with that. The punishment ends when it ends. But this should sort itself out.

"Hey, I think I will piss off every recent criminal in the shithole of Kansas City. Anyone got odds on me making it to my next birthday?"

Birk

• Unperson
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Drinkin' and Postin' For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
I gotta say I'm not cool with that. The punishment ends when it ends. But this should sort itself out.

"Hey, I think I will piss off every recent criminal in the shithole of Kansas City. Anyone got odds on me making it to my next birthday?"

Yea this shit is scummy as fuck. The whole thing about the levels of their 'service' Platinum and Gold etc. Jesus how jewey can you get?

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
  • Awards old Something Wonderful Anonymous Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

Yea this shit is scummy as fuck. The whole thing about the levels of their 'service' Platinum and Gold etc. Jesus how jewey can you get?

Lowtax is furious taking notes.  Wait and see.  Red titles were just the beginning.

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
OK, you didn't read far enough.  The tide changes... LOL

I give. The site's done. Everyone's Profile pages were taken down at 3am on July 3... and thanks to the hacker who got into my computer and wiped out my hard drive, and rest of the data I had about the site on my computer sometime while I was gone around noon that day, no new pages will be added, and the site is off. I've had way to many people get into the site and screw with it, it's cost us way to much to relocate out of the area we were in... so I'm just done.

You win... I'm sincerely sorry to have pissed so many people off, caused the trouble I did, and for everything else. Wasn't my intentions... I shouldn't have come in here with a chip on my shoulder, but I did. I know the letter was worded badly, and I didn't realize it was that copy that was sent to the printer. The site was originally based on being sarcastic and rude, and as I and others that consulted with me saw the potential to turn this into a good thing, we felt that it was best to be more professional. Can't change what's been done... the past is the past, and I apologize. I tried to listen to everyone's complaints that were passed on to me from friends on the board after the fact, and I knew this is where the thread was going to go, which is why I asked Erik to take it down so I could get things corrected before it got too late. Most of the changes made were planned (going non-profit especially), and I agreed with you all about taking those not convicted off the site (except DUI charges- 99% of them don't get dismissed), but that didn't please anyone, so I'll just move on in my life to other things- mainly for the sake of my brother, kids, and my deceased father (BTW- that picture you guys have of him was taken less than a week before he died from a 3 year battle with cancer- he served our country for 38 years and was on hospice care when they took that... it took 3 of us to be able to hold him up to take that shot).

I admire you all for pulling together and voicing your opinion. Wish I could have had the time to make the changes in order to make it more satisfactory to you all without being in the spotlight. I'd still love to do it and change it to a DUI & sex based site... but that won't be receiving any of my effort anytime soon... I've got other things to work on.

I will thank you all for giving my site the attention that it did also. I got a lot of communications from people wanting to back BlabberMouth financially, and I'm considering talking to them about other aspects of what BlabberMouth could be in other ways. If anything ever comes about from it, I'll keep my word and still make the donation I told Erik I was going to on the phone- especially since you guys hooked me up with about $600,000 worth of free advertising (in PR & Media relations... "good press... bad press... it's still all press, and any press is good press!") and got my name spread.

If anyone posted my brother or dad's images on this or other sites, I would appreciate it if they were removed. You can keep my stuff up... I don't care about it, but out of respect for them (they had nothing to do with this), I ask that you give my brother a fair shot in life and not be destroyed by something I did- it's not his fault and he shouldn't have to be punished for my actions.

No hard feelings on my side... sometimes an initial idea doesn't pan out and needs to go back to the drawing board, and you guys made me realize that.

Tombstone- I love the images you did. I'll give you other pictures to use if you want to expand your creativity.

AND AGAIN... Jason had NOTHING to do with BlabberMouth. He was just someone that I talked with when it was getting going, and he was listed as an "ORGANIZER", not an OWNER... so I request that you please leave him out of this, as he nor his family had nothing to do with the day-to-day operations. JUST ME.

Any-hoot... I'm out... Time for your victory dance in 3.... 2.... 1....

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Dude, you don't do shit like this when you have a family.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
my issue with it is that goons have no problem publicly shaming someone who says nigger and trying to ruin their chances at employment, but they'll be damned if someone gets outed for actually committing a real crime.

wimpb

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
Yeah, well it's ok to e-detective some kid on xbox-live who said nigger while playing Halo and having people threaten him over the phone.

Nothing weird about that at all.

Birk

• Unperson
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Generation Identitaire Drinkin' and Postin' For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »
FWIW Neither is okay. They're both scummy fucking things to do whether you're going to be a whinging leftist cuntbag or a jewey exploitative fuck about it.

People don't need to be singled out for what they say nor do they need to be ostracized and extorted for legitimate fuckups that the state will handle.

Spokker

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »
Nigger.

Shit, I'm in the database now.

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Bah Jaysus! Sasstronaut United Statesian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »
FWIW Neither is okay. They're both scummy fucking things to do whether you're going to be a whinging leftist cuntbag or a jewey exploitative fuck about it.

People don't need to be singled out for what they say nor do they need to be ostracized and extorted for legitimate fuckups that the state will handle.

Truth. I read a few pages of that thread and was actually pleasantly shocked at the number of goons who were against it. Those that were for it were shot down pretty quick.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > E/N Bullshit > A false sense of superiority is holding me back. How do I get rid of it?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494598

A gay, snobby goon who thinks he's smarter/better than everyone else despite not even coming close to having a degree, having no friends, and no money.

Quote from: Bleusman
I'm 19 years old, male, and I feel like I'm turning into a ridiculously stunted adult.

My childhood was defined by three things:

1. I was awful at making friends.
2. I spent way too much time on the Internet.
3. I was smarter than most people my age.

#1 and #2 kind of fed each other: I turned to the Internet for social interaction because I didn't have anyone else to talk to, but then all of my interests were informed by the Internet and no one else could really relate. During grade school and middle school I was in pretty much complete social isolation, aside from internet forums: I can count on my fingers the number of times I visited a friend's house, or they visited mine. The only exception were two "cousins," who were really just the children of family friends, who came over every weekend, and we got along pretty well - even though they wouldn't talk to me at school. In high school, I managed to get a social life after I came out of the closet, thanks to the only other out gay kid taking an interest in me and introducing me to his friends. Since then, I've been gradually gaining social skills, and I have a great group of friends at college as well.

Unfortunately, I still harbor a bitterness that made me cling way too tightly to #3: my intelligence. Objectively, I realize that my intelligence is utterly unremarkable on any practical level: I got good grades but not the best, my high school teachers gave me an award for being my class's best English student but I nearly failed physics, and my writing might come off as a bit precocious but only when I communicate in an affected, literary way. I ended up getting into the University of Chicago, where I thought I'd get to have my perfect life of intellectualism without having to worry about practicality, but due to financial issues I now attend a school that values job skills above academic curiosity. (And I'm already getting snobby with this.) But this misguided belief in my remarkable intelligence leads me to alienate myself from most people: I like analyzing them from afar, but actually building up any kind of intimacy between myself and other people has been pretty much impossible.

It's especially hard with other men. I feel like every relationship with a man has me feeling ridiculously inferior: either because of my height (5'5''), my insufficiently masculine interests, or my sexuality. But I've carried on this mentality of "I'll dismiss you as less intelligent than me before you can criticize me" to pretty much all of my interactions. I know it's a distorted way of looking at things, and I know I'm only harming myself. But as much as I try to give people a chance, the vulnerability scares me to death and I snap back into my old aloof, snobby patterns.

I'm working on finding therapy but I live in an expensive city and I need to make sure I can afford my housing costs for next semester. I'm just wondering if there's any advice people have for dispelling this kind of poisonous narcissism.

lol, another nothing of a goon who thinks he's too fucking good for blue collar work.

Quote from: Bleusman
Quote from: tbp
tbp posted:
You're 19 and spend your entire life on the internet with no friends and haven't accomplished anything notable.

Read that sentence and honestly ask yourself if you have anything to be even slightly proud of, never-mind superior about.

edit: Honestly unless you're buff as hell and bang a lot of girls and make like 120k a year+ maybe you should focus on becoming a better person instead of being all goofy and weird.

Can you please read my other posts in the thread? I have friends, I have no interest in being "buff as hell" or "banging a lot of girls," and I have no idea where the "being all goofy and weird" comes from. I do spend a lot of time on the internet and I haven't accomplished much that's notable, but I'm trying to be a better person and I'm asking how I can stop being so self-obsessed and actually do that.

just because my own family refuses to acknowledge me in public doesn't mean I am "goofy and weird" as you neurotypicals put it.

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIerloK3-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIerloK3-U</a>

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Bah Jaysus! Sasstronaut United Statesian TNE Veteran Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
At least he has some self awareness, enough to realize he's fucked up. And he wants to change. Gotta give him credit for that.

BubbaCat

• Cishet White Male
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
At least he has some self awareness, enough to realize he's fucked up. And he wants to change. Gotta give him credit for that.

I disagree.  I think the only person that could post a thread like that is a narcissist who craves more attention.  Its like the "ask a sociopath" thread you see out there.  No true sociopath can really post a thread like that.  There are completely self-engulfed and unaware of how there actions have a negative impact on those around them.  In this case, the quirky gay guy is troll for more internet attention.  A narcissist (as he essentially is coming off), would only come online to troll or gloat about them-self.  I know that I am really stretching my examples, but I am not writing a dissertation, and I am awesome and none of your deserve my time.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
Quote from: LLJKSiLK
A friend of mine, Rachel, who I pay to clean my house every couple of weeks was seeming really short and posting really cryptic "One day I'm gonna fall apart" Facebook status messages.

Short Background

She had recently entered therapy, and started anti-depressant medication, and a couple of weeks ago was telling me how all of this crazy shit from her past kept coming up in therapy because the therapist said she needed to deal with things instead of compartmentalizing everything. (Massive amounts of abuse, physical an sexual, from when she was a child, multiple abortions in the past year, all the way to being raped in the past few months).

For a long time, I've been her "ear" as far as listening. But she is extremely neurotic and it was not uncommon for her to talk faster than the Micro Machine Man from the 80s and switch topics 15 times in 5 minutes, so nothing was ever really resolved, but she worried about everything from the way someone might look at her if she took some specified action in some unspecified timeframe - pretty much worrying over anything you could - even things involving me that had nothing to do with her.

But I've done the best I could, just listened and offered advice when asked. I had sort of gotten used to the neurosis, so imagining that there was something more that could come up wasn't on my mind - and she seemed to be getting things together in the past few months before going to therapy.

Since going to therapy, it is almost as if she is falling apart, and the first red flags (beyond the usual) started cropping up, which led to our discussion last night.

Last night

Ultimately after discussing random topics that we had discussed in the past, she started ranting about random subjects such as people I'd been dating, how she feels responsible for my kids (She's rarely around them), how she feels responsible for how I treat people I date, how she feels responsible for how people I date treat me, etc. Then she segways into "Oh, and I try to kill myself every two weeks and have been since January."

I just sort of listened, and asked her a few questions about it - but did my best to be nonjudgmental and supportive, and offered her the advice of talking to a crisis line or something of that nature. Apparently she did once, and thinks there is some conspiracy about how they want to lock her up - and she refuses to talk to anyone in that capacity anymore.

So... I'm in the place emotionally where I understand if she chooses to complete or whatever there is nothing I could do, so I don't feel as though I'd be responsible. That being said - if you fuck up killing yourself 8-10 times, you either aren't doing it right because you are stupid - or you are crying out for help.

She's done stupid shit like cutting non-vital areas in attempts to bleed out (doesn't work) or popping non-fatal medication doses. I'd like to help - but it is honestly beyond my ability, but she refuses to talk to professionals and avoids subjects in therapy and freaks out and becomes suicidal when the therapist touches on things anyway.

So... what should I do? What advice should I offer? She has a daughter that is about the same age as my daughter, and when we hang out she seems extremely happy/relaxed but seems to fall apart when around her other "friends" basically people who sit around doing/selling drugs and offering her a place to sleep in exchange for sex/cleaning.

It is hard for me to relate as I'm the zen fucking master in comparison, but she says talking to me helps and several times before she attempts to kill herself she tries calling me because it calms her down (so she says.)

Any thoughts?

:lilal:

Well, I've still offered to let her clean my house since it is part of routine and she says she finds it "relaxing" and one of the highlights of her life at the moment.

I'm just trying not to treat her any differently.

And for the record - I dated her a couple of years ago, and I have slept with her in the past - but we've been keeping it as "just friends" and dating other people for a long time at this point.

:lilal: :lilal:

Quote from: Reinbach
Were you responsible for any of her abortions? Trying to remember from your previous threads, but drawing a blank.
Yes. Back in 2010. She and I didn't talk for a full year after that, and became friends again later.

Hence, why I'm not going to sleep with her again.
:lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:56:00 PM by Second Class Internet Cit »

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
A life wasted is a goon life.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Man arrested and fined for running a church in his backyard
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495324

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/07/11/arizona-pastor-arrested-jailed-for-holding-bible-study-in-home-his-wife-says-it-defies-logic/

tl;dr it's a news story about Christians getting arrested for having a Bible study because it goes against zoning regulations. I'm not going to bother putting goon quotes here because I would be copying and pasting the entire thread.

As you would imagine, goons will go scream about their rights and privacy when it comes to things like pirating video games and movies (SOPA protests) and defend a noble negro to the death even if he's wanted for robbery and assault (the environment is what causes him to lash out against his white oppressors).

But when it comes to a xtian using their freedom to assemble to have a bible study in their backyard, that's where they draw the line. How dare they bother their neighbor with all the extra cars, it obviously has to do with concerns for fire safety, blah blah blah

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »
Quote from: LLJKSiLK
A friend of mine, Rachel, who I pay to clean my house every couple of weeks was seeming really short and posting really cryptic "One day I'm gonna fall apart" Facebook status messages.

Short Background

She had recently entered therapy, and started anti-depressant medication, and a couple of weeks ago was telling me how all of this crazy shit from her past kept coming up in therapy because the therapist said she needed to deal with things instead of compartmentalizing everything. (Massive amounts of abuse, physical an sexual, from when she was a child, multiple abortions in the past year, all the way to being raped in the past few months).

For a long time, I've been her "ear" as far as listening. But she is extremely neurotic and it was not uncommon for her to talk faster than the Micro Machine Man from the 80s and switch topics 15 times in 5 minutes, so nothing was ever really resolved, but she worried about everything from the way someone might look at her if she took some specified action in some unspecified timeframe - pretty much worrying over anything you could - even things involving me that had nothing to do with her.

But I've done the best I could, just listened and offered advice when asked. I had sort of gotten used to the neurosis, so imagining that there was something more that could come up wasn't on my mind - and she seemed to be getting things together in the past few months before going to therapy.

Since going to therapy, it is almost as if she is falling apart, and the first red flags (beyond the usual) started cropping up, which led to our discussion last night.

Last night

Ultimately after discussing random topics that we had discussed in the past, she started ranting about random subjects such as people I'd been dating, how she feels responsible for my kids (She's rarely around them), how she feels responsible for how I treat people I date, how she feels responsible for how people I date treat me, etc. Then she segways into "Oh, and I try to kill myself every two weeks and have been since January."

I just sort of listened, and asked her a few questions about it - but did my best to be nonjudgmental and supportive, and offered her the advice of talking to a crisis line or something of that nature. Apparently she did once, and thinks there is some conspiracy about how they want to lock her up - and she refuses to talk to anyone in that capacity anymore.

So... I'm in the place emotionally where I understand if she chooses to complete or whatever there is nothing I could do, so I don't feel as though I'd be responsible. That being said - if you fuck up killing yourself 8-10 times, you either aren't doing it right because you are stupid - or you are crying out for help.

She's done stupid shit like cutting non-vital areas in attempts to bleed out (doesn't work) or popping non-fatal medication doses. I'd like to help - but it is honestly beyond my ability, but she refuses to talk to professionals and avoids subjects in therapy and freaks out and becomes suicidal when the therapist touches on things anyway.

So... what should I do? What advice should I offer? She has a daughter that is about the same age as my daughter, and when we hang out she seems extremely happy/relaxed but seems to fall apart when around her other "friends" basically people who sit around doing/selling drugs and offering her a place to sleep in exchange for sex/cleaning.

It is hard for me to relate as I'm the zen fucking master in comparison, but she says talking to me helps and several times before she attempts to kill herself she tries calling me because it calms her down (so she says.)

Any thoughts?

:lilal:

Well, I've still offered to let her clean my house since it is part of routine and she says she finds it "relaxing" and one of the highlights of her life at the moment.

I'm just trying not to treat her any differently.

And for the record - I dated her a couple of years ago, and I have slept with her in the past - but we've been keeping it as "just friends" and dating other people for a long time at this point.

:lilal: :lilal:

Quote from: Reinbach
Were you responsible for any of her abortions? Trying to remember from your previous threads, but drawing a blank.
Yes. Back in 2010. She and I didn't talk for a full year after that, and became friends again later.

Hence, why I'm not going to sleep with her again.
:lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal: :lilal:

My advice: well I'd get a new maid right away.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > E/N Bullshit > Why do people get so upset when they find out I'm not having kids?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495660

Quote from: Solkanar512
I'd like to start out by saying in general my life is awesome, so I'm not really coming here for help per se, just some understanding and insight on this issue that seems to be constantly popping up.

So I'm at the point in my life where I'm getting ready to be married and long ago we came to the decision that parenthood just wasn't for us. We feel that if we don't have a strong desire to become parents that we shouldn't. Besides, there are plenty of nieces and nephews around and their parents would love the occasional night off.

I keep getting asked questions like, "when are you going to have kids" or "how many kids do you want" and so on. These questions don't offend me, and in the past I would simply respond with a simple, "Oh, we're not really interested in having kids". Most of the time this results in a look that one would give to someone who just kicked a puppy. These days I try to steer the conversation elsewhere or just let them think I'm having kids rather than get into an argument.

From here, any number of arguments for having kids comes up.

1. Why? Do you hate kids or something? (No, we love our nieces and nephews just fine, thanks)
2. Wow, that's really selfish, don't you think? (WTF?)
3. Yeah, I used to think that too, but your mind will change too!!
4. Who will take care of you when you're old? (I'm guessing the same underpaid nursing staff that will be taking care of you.)
5. Well having kids is the best thing ever and I would never trade it for the world and you better have some too.
6. Isn't the whole point of living to procreate and pass on your genetic material? (This one creeps me the fuck out, are you Gengis Khan or something? Why are you talking to me and not busy getting someone/yourself pregnant then?)

At this point, I'm getting sick and fucking tired of even mentioning that I'm getting married in a few months because this question always, always comes up, and it tends to come up because when folks make small talk about "what you did last weekend" etc of course I mention my fiancee. Sure, those who I really care about give us a bit of crap but accept our decision (yes, even my mother. she was disappointed though) but I just don't understand why it matters to so many people I hardly or don't even know that I'm not having kids. What gives?

EDIT: I don't want to trash folks with kids here, so if you are one (or hope to be one) I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

if you actually read the OP, you may notice that no one actually is upset over the lifestyle of the OP. it's just goon hyperbole so they can bitch about other people being surprised by their unusual behavior.

Quote from: Salaminzer
Long story short, it's one of those subjects people feel they're entitled to be jerks about. Some of that advice you could turn around on them if you wanted to let them have it (the selfish one is a good one for that if you wanted to be a dick and rail at them about overpopulation, and is by far the shittiest reason to harass someone for not haviing kids) but the best advice here is just to ignore it or say "my decision is none of your business and you're being rude. Goodbye."

first response boils down to "SEVER"

Quote from: IDDQD
They want you to be just as miserable as they are. Maybe if you told them how much your life sucks (doesn't matter whether it actually sucks or not), they'd relent a little?

childless goon spotted

Quote from: ChairMaster
Quote from: Solkanar512
I'm still creeped out by the smugness of the "well I guess I'm better at humanity than you because I'm passing my genetic material on and you aren't " Seriously, that's really fucking creepy.
I kinda see that as just another dumbshit thing people trot out to justify their bad decisions or prejudices. Like when people do the :biotruths:  thing to justify why they think women should be subservient or whatever.

Anyways I can't figure out how having children could possibly be considered less selfish than not having children. Do these people think they're fuckin doing the world a favor by bringing more people into it? Seriously? I'm not gonna say having kids is morally wrong or anything, but it's certainly selfish.

post history search turns up that ChairMaster is an avid reader of Punisher comic books, enjoys watching a children's cartoon show called Adventure Time, and playing Dungeons and Dragons the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.

Quote from: Sailor
The key with the infertility card is to make them feel like utter monsters for bringing so painful a subject up. (Bonus points if they don't know you're in a same sex relationship and you're not technically lying.)

I've been harassed by women I barely know who've spotted my engagement ring and it's goddamn awful. There are a lot of folks who get really uncomfortable if you deviate from the white picket fence + 2.5 kids script and will pressure the hell out if you to normalize their own choices.

The sad thing is I'm far from a kid hater-- I used to do volunteer work doing history reenactments for grade school kids and it was really fun to interact with the kids and answer their weird kid questions. Same with mentoring young teens in seamanship and playing aunt to my friends' kids. I get how having a kid can be super rewarding in ways I can only imagine. But I have zero desire to pass on my messed up genetics, no interest in actually raising a kid from scratch, and am self aware enough to know I'd be an awful, awful parent for more reasons than I can list. I'd so much rather enrich the lives of already existing kids.

And fuck is it pathetic that I feel my need to preemptively defend my choice like that. 

Really the best thing to do is to point out how rude the question is. "As soon as he gets bored of sticking it in my ass, I guess."

ugh i'm sick and tired of the utter stream of harassment i get from women trying to make small-talk with me. don't these neurotypicals know that i have better things to do than interact with them while waiting for the cashier to ring up my order???

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Same with mentoring young teens in seamanship
:rock: