;

Author Topic: FCC Internet "Net Neutrality" Faggotry  (Read 5156 times)

blakks are not very cool

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
Re: FCC Internet "Net Neutrality" Faggotry
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
+8
Surely they won't use this power that they lobbied for. Spectrum pinky swore!

Today’s reclassification of broadband Internet access service restores the FTC’s authority
to enforce any commitments made by ISPs regarding their network management practices that are
included in their advertising or terms and conditions, as the FTC did so successfully in FTC v.
TracFone.
501 The FTC’s unfair-and-deceptive-practices authority “prohibits companies from selling
consumers one product or service but providing them something different,” which makes voluntary
commitments enforceable.502 The FTC also requires the “disclos[ur]e [of] material information if not
disclosing it would mislead the consumer,” so if an ISP “failed to disclose blocking, throttling, or other
practices that would matter to a reasonable consumer, the FTC’s deception authority would apply.”503
Today’s reclassification also restores the FTC’s authority to take enforcement action against unfair acts or
practices. An unfair act or practice is one that creates substantial consumer harm, is not outweighed by
countervailing benefits to consumers, and that consumers could not reasonably have avoided.50

You can frame this as giving in to the "BIG EVIL ISPs" but that's just a result of Soros and other globalists doing an excellent job astroturfing on behalf of the content hosts: Google, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Remember: "the market capitalization of the smallest of these five companies, Amazon, is more than twice that of the largest ISP, Comcast, and the market capitalization of Google alone is greater than every cable company in America combined."

See weev's video above for a technical explanation of what this fight was really about.

anti-pibble machine

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
+6

(this is what the sip actually believes)

[HEAD NIGGER OF STRUG] anti-Semitic graphs

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Inshallah! Fascist Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »
+5
I do have some concerns, but it's hard to parse through the bullshit. A lot of people are trying to pin this down as a left/right thing: if you're pro NN you are for Obama and sociaism, if you're anti NN you are pro Trump, consumer freedom, and helping good American big business be properly capitalistic.

So for those that believe this, my concern is that if the ISPs weren't regulated and mandated to treat all traffic the same, what protects this website? It seems that any of you who were having a sad that Daily Stormer and other WN webshites were SHUT DOWN would be pro NN. It's one thing if companies refuse them hosting, but it's a whole 'nother level if say Spectrum and Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint just say "yeah we're blocking those hatesites so even if they have a host you can't see them on your home computer or cell phone." And of course what happens if social justice types get them to lump in sites like this with them? It seems like we would go back to the days where people were on AOL and thought that small, curated garden was "The Internet."

I don't know if this is true, because like I said, it's hard to parse through the bullshit, so I would genuinely like to hear from the pro NN side on this point.

:jesse:

The Daily Stormer was shut down while this legislation was in place. That shows you everything you need to know about what it actually did with regards to freedom of expression on the internet.

The Daily Stormer was shut down and countless channels have been removed from youtube or demonetized.  Google has adjusted their search algorithms.  Project Veritas has some chump talking on hidden camera about it.

But my point is that even if youtube refuses to host their channels, hosting companies refuse to host them, or google makes them hard to find, as long as they have a host you can see them. If your ISP and phone provider block them, that's like Chinese level censorship.

I don't see "well they were censored before NN so lets give the corporations even more ability to censor them"  as being a good argument.

Dude that's literally what happened. They tried hosting on like 20 different country domains and got immediately kicked off every single one. For saying the wrong thing in a neutral net.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
+2

Whoever does this will lose all of their market share to whoever doesn't. And if there is a monopoly the FTC can step in, but I guess that's irrelevant because "corrupt government organization!!!" Wtf is this occupy wall street?

I bet if we searched anyone posting in this thread's zip code we'd find like 3-7 ISPs locally.

Americas Most Trusted News Source

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
+9
Invalid Tweet ID

Obese-n-Triggered

• Cishet White Male
  • Quick Robin, to the Golden Corral!
  • Awards Sasstronaut Fucked a lesbian cold, dead hands Better dead than red Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian Boy Scout old
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
+3
Dude that's literally what happened. They tried hosting on like 20 different country domains and got immediately kicked off every single one. For saying the wrong thing in a neutral net.

The above quote is the problem with this discussion in a nutshell.

The problem is that the overall regulation dealt with several different ideas and folks getting censored could happen before and after this regulation was removed. Endpoint providers aren't required to host shit they don't want. But ISPs aren't supposed to differentiate about what kind of data moves across their network.

This whole discussion is pretty complex. It doesn't lend itself to soundbites.

Small Weinered Goon

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards Rethuglikkkan Faggot Autistic Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian You can't know! Futurist
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
+8
Muh cummies!  Muh netflix!

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! Took Down an Admin old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran United Statesian Bah Jaysus! Sasstronaut
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
I do have some concerns, but it's hard to parse through the bullshit. A lot of people are trying to pin this down as a left/right thing: if you're pro NN you are for Obama and sociaism, if you're anti NN you are pro Trump, consumer freedom, and helping good American big business be properly capitalistic.

So for those that believe this, my concern is that if the ISPs weren't regulated and mandated to treat all traffic the same, what protects this website? It seems that any of you who were having a sad that Daily Stormer and other WN webshites were SHUT DOWN would be pro NN. It's one thing if companies refuse them hosting, but it's a whole 'nother level if say Spectrum and Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint just say "yeah we're blocking those hatesites so even if they have a host you can't see them on your home computer or cell phone." And of course what happens if social justice types get them to lump in sites like this with them? It seems like we would go back to the days where people were on AOL and thought that small, curated garden was "The Internet."

I don't know if this is true, because like I said, it's hard to parse through the bullshit, so I would genuinely like to hear from the pro NN side on this point.

:jesse:

The Daily Stormer was shut down while this legislation was in place. That shows you everything you need to know about what it actually did with regards to freedom of expression on the internet.

The Daily Stormer was shut down and countless channels have been removed from youtube or demonetized.  Google has adjusted their search algorithms.  Project Veritas has some chump talking on hidden camera about it.

But my point is that even if youtube refuses to host their channels, hosting companies refuse to host them, or google makes them hard to find, as long as they have a host you can see them. If your ISP and phone provider block them, that's like Chinese level censorship.

I don't see "well they were censored before NN so lets give the corporations even more ability to censor them"  as being a good argument.

OK, then let me ask this a different way how would ending net neutrality help those sites not be censored?

The crux of the discussion seems to be that there are two sides of corporate special interests, and you have to chose between them as to which will get the landgrab.

One side says "It's the Evil Soros fueled Social Networks, Google, and Netflix vs the Noble Capitalist American ISPs, who are really more like small businesses and are supported by Trump."

The other side says "it's the Freedom Loving forces of Facebook, Google, and Netflix who want free and open information sharing for all vs the Oppressive money grubbing Big Business ISPs who want to contol the internet and run it like cable."

Bill Goy the Soyence Boi

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
+3
Lol at the FTC doing shit to ISPs.

On caps, yeah caps are gonna be the norm once they start raising up bills and instituting various tiers with your streaming video packages. ISPs have shown time and time again if you give them an inch they take a mile. There's a reason this was done and you're retarded if you think it has anything to do with "removing regulatory burden so we can invest/lower prices" as if that has ever happened in any industry ever. What did they do with all of that fiber laying around?

Beyond that it was rammed through despite the vast majority of people being opposed to it. Then you have Pajeet  justifying it with the clearest lines of bullshit ever shat out.

Data caps have been a thing since the advent of broadband. Especially on phones, too. Remember back in the aughts, how you had to pick a plan for fucking text messages?  I didn't have one, and got dinged 10 cents a text coming and going.  So you could have run up my phone bill substantially by just sending me a flood of texts. That's long gone now, thanks to free market competition driving down the price of said plans until unlimited texting is the norm.

Major corporations will always take a mile when given an inch, that is damn true, but they'll also back down and start offering better deals when they start losing customers and their investors get pissed off.

Affirmative Action Hero

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards You can't know! Deplorables Better dead than red Fascist
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
+10
Oh come on guys if euroniggers like the Portuguese can survive without net neutrality, anyone fucking can.

asip

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. United Statesian Motorcyclist Deplorables You Shall Not Pass!
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
+1

On caps, yeah caps are gonna be the norm once they start raising up bills and instituting various tiers with your streaming video packages. ISPs have shown time and time again if you give them an inch they take a mile. There's a reason this was done and you're retarded if you think it has anything to do with "removing regulatory burden so we can invest/lower prices" as if that has ever happened in any industry ever. What did they do with all of that fiber laying around?

Beyond that it was rammed through despite the vast majority of people being opposed to it. Then you have Pajeet  justifying it with the clearest lines of bullshit ever shat out.

Data caps have been a thing since the advent of broadband. Especially on phones, too. Remember back in the aughts, how you had to pick a plan for fucking text messages?  I didn't have one, and got dinged 10 cents a text coming and going.  So you could have run up my phone bill substantially by just sending me a flood of texts. That's long gone now, thanks to free market competition driving down the price of said plans until unlimited texting is the norm.

Major corporations will always take a mile when given an inch, that is damn true, but they'll also back down and start offering better deals when they start losing customers and their investors get pissed off.
Yeah because everyone has a wide range of ISPs to choose from. Caps are at best an ancillary issue with this.

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »
+5
Just fucking destroy comcast in some legal fashion and everyone will be happy.

Slacktivist

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
+19
I'm so fucking happy I'm too old to give a shit about whether or not I can spend every waking moment with a continuous stream of multiple gigabytes of netflix, pirated vidya comics movies and tv series and twitch/youtube streaming.

I know the serious issue is about more than that, but considering the average reddit millennial mad about it... also I really am glad I'm too old to care about my multiple lifetimes of hedonism being inconvenienced slightly.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
Sip what’s your zip?

Ass Diamond

• Unperson
  • Million dollar dumps, taken daily
  • Awards TNE Veteran Rethuglikkkan Soldier Wounded in the line of posting. For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Motorcyclist Texan The Gentry cold, dead hands
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
+3

Back the fuck off and let capitalism do its fucking job. Government needs to stop interfering and destroying municipal ISPs when carpetbagging companies come calling with briefcases full of cash. You want to regulate something? Make it illegal to lobby. Go after companies when they practice antitrust behavior. They (outside ISPs) can come to a town hall and make a proposal in public just like everyone else.

asip

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. United Statesian Motorcyclist Deplorables You Shall Not Pass!
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
+3
Captialism did the job several times and it sucked ass sadly. There's a huge history of gouging from ISPs and it's been that way for a decade now. There has also been shit like Comcast blocking torrenting and at&t blocking VoIP service.

And what regulations are we getting rid of that are so burdensome for them anyway?

asip

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »
+5

jabba

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
+1
I've said it before but if you want to see what can happen now look at what FB is doing with internet.org. If there are no "surf facebook for free" internet tiers (1st or 3rd party) in a few years I will be surprised and admit I was wrong. But that's the power grab. The propaganda war becomes a lot easier when half of the US population is on free internet plans that let them get "muh facebook" and thats it. If it happens it makes it very easy for Zuck to propagandize his way to the presidency too, fwiw.

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »
+1
Sip what’s your zip?

I know you’re fucking around but to use that one as an example, there are 11 services providers in the area.

asip

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
There are something like 10 in mine. 6 of those are wireless or satelite. Of the remaining 4, one is spectrum, one is at&t, one is a small one that isn't in my neighborhood, and the final is mine which is regional cable. I get shit speeds but I avoid high prices with spectrum and caps with at&t. So I'm not real confident in the idea that this is anything but an excuse to raise prices through various schemes. As has been done before. The promises of lower prices through competition and low regulation never hold up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:50:57 PM by the sip »

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2017, 11:59:23 PM »
+3
His name was Harry Anderson

POST FRANK

• Cishet White Male
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Ambien posting Jesuit Fucked a lesbian Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
+3

Even if this meme was true, the highest end package would be $30/m cheaper than my basic bitch 75mbps package with comcast

Aran

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Goon or Ex-Goon Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »
+1
Ouch. I have Gigabit with FiOS for $69.99

POST FRANK

• Cishet White Male
  • Cosmonauts
  • Awards Ambien posting Jesuit Fucked a lesbian Drinkin' and Postin'
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »
+3
Ouch. I have Gigabit with FiOS for $69.99

My state's cuckservatives killed google fibre and stopped municipal wifi after one of our cities got uppity and put in 1gbps municipal wifi

Rocket

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Cosmonauts
  • Don't call me a lawyer; I'll call my own!
  • Awards Fucked a lesbian You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! cold, dead hands old Something Wonderful Prepper The Gentry Motorcyclist Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Libertarian For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! Sasstronaut Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
+1
Here's an argument:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:19:50 AM by Rocket »
Yes, that is me in court with my enormous penis.