;

Author Topic: F.A.N.G.  (Read 6474 times)

Embedded YouTube Journo

• Unperson
  • Buffering Outrage
  • Awards United Statesian Better dead than red Scrooge Goon or Ex-Goon cold, dead hands Artist Boy Scout
    • Awards
Re: F.A.N.G.
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
+3
I wonder if something like YouTube/Facebook (and other case by case situations) could be declared a “Public Spaces” and therefore be subject to existing free speech protections. Somewhat like speakers corner in the UK? Obviously illegal shit would still be illegal, but  I mean fuck, if Trumps twitter can’t block people why should Twitter be able to block anyone? Ironically it’d probably spell the end for Twitter if they were no longer able to block bots and other trash accounts, you’d get endless streams of half intelligible phishing scams, but twitter needs to die anyway.

The term you're looking for is "common carrier."

I’m familiar with the term but was under the impression that also carried a certain amount of baggage as far as things like utility regulation and such is concerned.  Regardless even then perhaps you’re right.

I think when you're providing a large public medium where users post content that advertises itself as a place where broad societal conversations are taking place, you're more akin to UPS than to some sort of members-only salon. The scale and market share of the products involved go well beyond normal marketplace conditions. I hate the idea of regulation too, but I hate having the national conversation be tightly controlled by a handful of SF lefties worse.

agreed

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
+4
The major hurdle is going to be enforcement and what kind of due process people are entitled to, not to mention the jurisdictional nightmare it would create.  If any organization that reached a certain size suddenly had to defend hundreds of lawsuits from all fifty states weekly, you wouldn't be hurting twitter, you'd only be strengthening its monopoly because its the only organization wealthy enough to handle the burden. 

I want to weaken FANG, not strengthen it. 

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
+5
The major hurdle is going to be enforcement and what kind of due process people are entitled to, not to mention the jurisdictional nightmare it would create.  If any organization that reached a certain size suddenly had to defend hundreds of lawsuits from all fifty states weekly, you wouldn't be hurting twitter, you'd only be strengthening its monopoly because its the only organization wealthy enough to handle the burden. 

I want to weaken FANG, not strengthen it.
Breaking them up or over regulate them is the only way to stop them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:12:55 AM by The Watcher »
His name was Harry Anderson