;

Author Topic: Linux, SystemD, BSD, autism and SJWs- Politics in Open Source Software  (Read 3822 times)

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Canuck Goon or Ex-Goon 420 Anglican Boy Scout
    • Awards
+23
Buckle up because this is long.

So I've been using Linux for a number of years now, because I'm reasonably technically proficient, I don't play many games, and the low system requirements of some distros allow me to get a lot more mileage out of my hardware. The open source community has always been pretty left leaning, but for the most part they were well-meaning neckbeard autists who genuinely believed in providing free and functional software to the masses.  I knew, due to it's nature, it was inevitable SJWs would infest Linux eventually it has finally happened.

I'm sure most people here are well aware of what Linux is, but for those unaware, Linux is a kernel based on Unix which you can build an operating system on top of and at this point it powers everything from routers, to Android phones, to smart TVs. When you bundle the Linux kernel together with some software to make a functional PC operating system, it is called a distro, and there are hundreds if not thousands of them.

Over the last few years, most of these distros have transitioned to using a piece of software called SystemD. SystemD was released in 2010. My laymen understanding of SystemD is it is a piece of initialization software that starts all the drivers for your system as Linux boots up in and runs various processes in the background. It's been controversial in the Open Source community because it goes against several core Linux philosophies. For example, the Linux philosophy states that each piece of software should do one thing well, while SystemD has grown well beyond a initialization system to encompass everything from power management, to login/session management to disk encryption. Essentially, if you are using a Linux distro that utilizes SystemD, it's got a hand in every aspect of what your computer does. Thus other pieces of software have grown to rely on SystemD and it's turned into this monster piece of software that nearly every distro utilizes.

Here's where you break out the tinfoil hats. So SystemD was developed by the team behind a distro called Red Hat who is notoriously SJW, for example a developer who works for Red Hat recently dragged the creator of Python out of retirement as he petitioned to get the language to dump the terms "master" and "slave" because they are offensive.

So you have this situation where the piece of software that does everything from load your drivers to log you into the system, is being developed by a group of people who seem to subscribe to a language police, social justice philosophy. So what if they decide down the road, that, I don't know, certain pieces of software are offensive, and SystemD, this big overreaching software suite constantly running in the background, is going to block you from running them? I don't know if that's realistic, or if they'd even want to police what you do to that degree, but suppose SystemD totally takes over and other init systems such as OpenRC cease to be maintained(it's headed in that direction). What is your recourse should they decide to censor problematic programs? All of a sudden Linux goes from a viable second option to just as bad as Windows in terms of trying to control what you do with this piece of hardware you have purchased. As far as I know there is no law in place to protect your ability to run whatever you choose on your computer, and the fact that Apple can run a closed ecosystem in on iOS devices kind of strongly suggests that there isn't one.

Ok, but for now, there are some distros, such as Alpine, Slack and Gentoo, that, while difficult to use, do not use SystemD. You could always use those, right? Well good news! Linux creator Linus Torvalds has seemingly been forced out of Linux Kernel development for hurting people's feelings.

From Slashdot:

On Sunday, Linus Torvalds spoke about the confusion he had regarding Maintainer's Summit, but more importantly, how this incident gave him a chance to realize "that I really had been ignoring some fairly deep-seated feelings in the community." In an email to the Linux Kernel Mailing List, Torvalds apologized for hurting people with his behavior over the years, and possibly driving some people "away from kernel development entirely." On that end, said Torvalds, "I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately." He wrote:

"It's one thing when you can ignore these issues. Usually it's just something I didn't want to deal with. This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person and that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of all me. The fact that I then misread people and don't realize (for years) how badly I've judged a situation and contributed to an unprofessional environment is not good. This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me. I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely. I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately.

Put another way: When asked at conferences, I occasionally talk about how the pain-points in kernel development have generally not been about the _technical_ issues, but about the inflection points where development flow and behavior changed. These pain points have been about managing the flow of patches, and often been associated with big tooling changes - moving from making releases with "patches and tar-balls" (and the _very_ painful discussions about how "Linus doesn't scale" back 15+ years ago) to using BitKeeper, and then to having to write git in order to get past the point of that no longer working for us. We haven't had that kind of pain-point in about a decade. But this week felt like that kind of pain point to me. To tie this all back to the actual 4.19-rc4 release (no, really, this_is_ related!) I actually think that 4.19 is looking fairly good, things have gotten to the "calm" period of the release cycle, and I've talked to Greg to ask him if he'd mind finishing up 4.19 for me, so that I can take a break, and try to at least fix my own behavior.

This is not some kind of "I'm burnt out, I need to just go away" break. I'm not feeling like I don't want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse. I very much *do* want to continue to do this project that I've been working on for almost three decades. This is more like the time I got out of kernel development for a while because I needed to write a little tool called "git". I need to take a break to get help on how to behave differently and fix some issues in my tooling and workflow.

And yes, some of it might be "just" tooling. Maybe I can get an email filter in place so at when I send email with curse-words, they just won't go out. Because hey, I'm a big believer in tools, and at least _some_ problems going forward might be improved with simple automation.

So that's the biggest kernel in use today. It's only used on a handful of PCs, but it's on pretty well every non-Apple smart phone on top of being popular on web servers and being used in some smart TVs, photocopiers, routers, etc. The guy who created it is stepping down due to pressure from people whose feelings are hurt because he swears. Those people are now in charge of the kernel that runs literally billions of devices.

So what are your options? Well Apple is kind of retarded, Windows seems to be migrating toward a subscription service and Linux is going full blown SJW. What's a fellow who wants to own his computer and the software on it to do? Well, the various versions of BSD are an option. Let's take a look at the FreeBSD code of conduct:

The FreeBSD Project is inclusive. We want the FreeBSD Project to be a venue where people of all backgrounds can work together to make the best operating system, built by a strong community. These values extend beyond just development to all aspects of the Project. All those given recognition as members of the Project in whatever form are seen as ambassadors of the Project.

Diversity is a huge strength and is critical to the long term success of the Project. To that end we have a few ground rules that we ask people to adhere to. This code applies equally to everyone representing the FreeBSD Project in any way, from new members, to committers, to the core team itself. These rules are intended to ensure a safe, harassment-free environment for all and to ensure that everyone feels welcome both working within, and interacting with, the Project.

This document is not an exhaustive list of things that you should not do. Rather, consider it a guide to make it easier to enrich all of us and the technical communities in which we participate.

This code of conduct applies to all spaces used by the FreeBSD Project, including our mailing lists, IRC channels, and social media, both online and off. Anyone who is found to violate this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from FreeBSD Project controlled spaces at the discretion of the FreeBSD Code of Conduct Committee.

Some FreeBSD Project spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules. Harassment includes but is not limited to:

-Comments that reinforce systemic oppression related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
    -Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
   -Deliberate misgendering.
   -Deliberate use of "dead" or rejected names.
   -Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they're not appropriate.
   -Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., textual descriptions like "*hug*" or "*backrub*") without consent or after a request to stop.
    -Threats of violence.
    -Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
    -Deliberate intimidation.
    -Stalking or following.
    -Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
    -Sustained disruption of discussion.
    -Unwelcome sexual attention.
    -Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
    -Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
    -Deliberate "outing" of any private aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
    -Publication of non-harassing private communication without consent.
    -Publication of non-harassing private communication with consent but in a way that intentionally misrepresents the communication (e.g., removes context that changes the meaning).
    -Knowingly making harmful false claims about a person.

:tuss:

Fire up the C64s and get a landline boys. It's time to migrate this party back to BBS.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:40:10 AM by Got Soylent? »

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
Re: Linux, SystemD, BSD, autism and SJWs- Politics in Open Source Software
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
+14
People like this don’t come to power naturally.
His name was Harry Anderson

WHITE PRIVILEGE

• Person Of Interest
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon United Statesian cold, dead hands old
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
+14
I've been Windows/Mac free for almost 10 years.

Maybe it's time for a shitlord fork of the kernel?

Dr. Hatchet-Wound

• Cishet White Male
  • Head, Dangerous & Elective surgery Mazzoni Center
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Libertarian 420 Better dead than red Scrooge The Gentry United Statesian cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon old
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
+19
I've been Windows/Mac free for almost 10 years.

Maybe it's time for a shitlord fork of the kernel?

Obergrüppenkernel 14.88

blakks are not very cool

• Unperson
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
+12
:adam:

kornbeef

• Unperson
  • Awards Metal Fan For Dixie's land we'll take our stand! The Gentry TNE Veteran Sasstronaut Boy Scout cold, dead hands Scrooge Better dead than red United Statesian old Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
+7
More on the Linux code of conduct thingy:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1041668315947708416.html

"The Contributor Covenant is a code of conduct for free/open source projects, created by Coraline Ada Ehmke." says the Wikipedia page too short to be a wikipedia page.

"I can’t wait for the mass exodus from Linux now that it’s been infiltrated by SJWs."

The "Contributor Covenant" that Facebook and Intel signed their approval on is a direct motion to INJECT POLITICS into the open source tech community.

The CREATOR OF IT **DIRECTLY STATES AS SUCH.**

> Coraline was hired at GitHub despite "outspoken" reputation. A political correctness sort of hiring move on their part.
> GitHub management had to constantly reprimand Coraline for behaviors at work
> Ended up firing Coraline for poor performance.
It is an appalling story about a trans SJW bringing disaster to one of the most successful technology projects of all time.  Read the whole thing.

Aran

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Doxxnet
  • Awards stormfront Took down a Moderator Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist The Gentry cold, dead hands You can't know! Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
+16
Can we just kill the queers yet

Michael Obama's Miscarriage

• Cishet White Male
  • アメリカを再び偉大にしよう
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Anonymous Sasstronaut Faggot Deplorables Killed in the Line of Posting Autistic
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
+6
the linux kernel is backdoored anyways. no time have we ever needed Saint Terry like this :/ RIP

what's even viable? openbsd? beos? we're fucked.
nah im a
white wow

Tariq Aziz

• Domestic Threat
  • NOT AGAIN
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
+5
Gonna check out if my pentium 166 on Win 95 still works lol

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
  • Awards You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
+5
I have a fucking Apple IIGS new in box specifically for this scenario.

GameDev Grade Dildo

• Cishet White Male
  • I'm going to assume you are black and didndonuffin
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
+10
Windows 10 China Government Edition. The only OS guaranteed not to tell Zuckerberg that you wrote 黑鬼 on the Internet.

Hitlorr The Obniggerator

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
+10
sad, but expected

being open source means they'll never be able to get away with deciding what software you can run, as their changes can always be reverted and you can be sure people would and release a proper version

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Canuck Goon or Ex-Goon 420 Anglican Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
+4
Good point. The extent of my programming knowledge is essentially spreadsheet formulas and a command line inventory tracking program I made in freebasic, so something as big as SystemD seems like it would take massive resources to fork and continuously update to someone like me. You know, I know enough to know how much I don't know. Maybe five shitlords could fork it and keep a parallel project going idk.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:50:16 PM by Got Soylent? »

Michael Obama's Miscarriage

• Cishet White Male
  • アメリカを再び偉大にしよう
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Anonymous Sasstronaut Faggot Deplorables Killed in the Line of Posting Autistic
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
+4
Good point. The extent of my programming knowledge is essentially spreadsheet formulas and a command line inventory tracking program I made in freebasic, so something as big as SystemD seems like it would take massive resources to fork and continuously update to someone like me. You know, I know enough to know how much I don't know. Maybe five shitlords could fork it and keep a parallel project going idk.

you already shouldn't be running systemd if you have any concerns for privacy or security. or the default encryption linux installers tend to offer. systemd is a bloated piece of shit and the real answer is hopefully more people become invested into developing alternative individual apps for its purpose, because they're currently far behind in terms of functionality and ease of use for the end user. systemd is something we should have all done away with years ago, same with the linux kernel. glad these issues are finally getting attention.

currently slowly working on migrating my data over to an install without it. i had already been planning on it, and i'm not gonna chance burying myself into a pit of problems trying to remove it from my current debian installs. i've tried the BSD desktop before, not a fun or well trodden experience.

assuming we can't dodge the linux kernel and have a functioning usable desktop experience for normie users, what you all reckon the best choice is? is there anything that has a repo that leans a bit less towards stability/server use than gentoo and knoppix? is my best bet just doing an arch install without systemd from the ground up? it'd be really nice to have something that works out of the box since i always manage to break arch installs 5 times before i get them to work.

is there any disk encryption that isn't fucked by the feds like aes/etc?

sad, but expected

being open source means they'll never be able to get away with deciding what software you can run, as their changes can always be reverted and you can be sure people would and release a proper version

to fork systemd from an unfucked point you'd have to go back to when it didn't do 90% of the shit it does now and you'd be better off just developing something else from the ground up.

the concern is that software is becoming increasingly dependent on it, and through this they will be able to decide what software you can and can't run, or at least bleed dry those they don't want around through attrition of dev time through breaking their apps repeatedly. it may sound slightly evil and farfetched but these are control freak sjw's and they're in control of a piece of software most linux desktop users rely on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:07:07 PM by Social Anthropoid »
nah im a
white wow

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
+4
real pros code things using Micrsoft Paint and Windows Bandera.

Procrustes

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
+4
I have a Lenovo laptop running windows 10 I use it for work stuff and to watch Netflix while I make dinner and stuff like that. It works p well and idgaf about the politics of operating systems because I am a man and have better things to do with my time.

Procrustes

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
+3
Good OP, though. 10/10 would read again.

armchair nazi

• Enemy Of The State
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
+15
the stupid fucking thing is it has ALWAYS been insanely inclusive - to anyone who writes good code. if you wrote great code you were a rockstar, it doesnt matter if you were white black trans or a fucking horse. in fact nobody even knew what the fuck you were because its the internet and you can be whatever you want.

MY FURSONOUNS

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
+1
smh if yall aint usin templeOS
Quote from: Aleph Null
Four months on hormones and I swear that my crotch sweat smells different.

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
+7
the stupid fucking thing is it has ALWAYS been insanely inclusive - to anyone who writes good code. if you wrote great code you were a rockstar, it doesnt matter if you were white black trans or a fucking horse. in fact nobody even knew what the fuck you were because its the internet and you can be whatever you want.
They don't mean that type of general inclusion. They want themed segregation just like how one would divide up areas for a theme park. They want a tranny section, they want a feminist section, they want a section for black people, and once the code makes rooms for all these specific sections only them will we have true inclusion.

Sad Byzantine Jesus

• Domestic Threat
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Orthodox Soldier cold, dead hands old The Gentry
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
+7
Computers are no longer tools for communication

Dog-O-Tron 5000v4.0

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Fagmin
  • We don't need another hero
  • Awards Metal Fan Classicist Took Down an Admin You're Great...No, YOU'RE Great! old Took down a Moderator Something Wonderful Goon or Ex-Goon Bah Jaysus! United Statesian Sasstronaut TNE Veteran
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »
+15

Yeah, but that is what the trans programmer hates--xir's rant about meritocracy. What these people feel is that less talented/untalented coders (or anyone in any industry I preume) should have more access and better jobs than talented people with the "wrong" opinions--even if they only express those opinions outside of work in their personal life. If you commit badthink, you do not deserve to work at all, and it is better to put out a shitty product made by diverse rightthinkers than an excellent product made by talent wrongthinkers.

Now see what happens when these people control who designs a bridge. :tuss:

a torrent of piss

• 5000 Posters Club
  • Grand Inquisitors
  • Pineapple and Ham
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »
+4
To add to this, driving people out of work is supposed to teach them a lesson. Once they can't work they have to rely on the government and then and only then can they attain enlightenment and realize that the government, dependency, and collectivism is wonderful because if you don't think it is then you're a hypocrite because without government programs everyone would die. You supposedly can't judge people if you need to rely on bureaucracy just to live. If nothing is yours it makes no sense to protect it, therefore with nobody owing anything nobody will get hurt over resources and materials.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:20:52 PM by a torrent of piss »

Professor of Niggerology

• Unperson
  • Awards Drinkin' and Postin' Inshallah! United Statesian Fascist Sasstronaut Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:57 AM »
+7
I have a Lenovo laptop running windows 10 I use it for work stuff and to watch Netflix while I make dinner and stuff like that. It works p well and idgaf about the politics of operating systems because I am a man and have better things to do with my time.
Linux is filled with autists surprising no one
FREE NEAT

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 08:07:47 AM »
+6

There is a lot of evidence that Microsoft intends to move to a Windows as a service subscription model to greater monetize their remaining customers. You don't pay, you don't get security patches and updates. Watch for it to roll out in the business world first, then eventually to their remaining home customers. Most consumers just use phones or tablets, so there's just not a lot of money in selling laptops or desktops to power users/gamers anymore. There's a lot more money in charging people a monthly or annual fee. They've done it with office, Autodesk has done it with Autocad, and I believe Adobe has done it as well. Fuck, even Nintendo's doing it, shitcanning their virtual console service and offering NES games on the Switch on a subscription based model instead.

I'm not really down with paying $500-$600 for a computer and then having to buy a subscription for it to even work.

*Edit* If you're giving me the computer for free and then I pay a subscription, I can deal with that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:11:44 AM by Got Soylent? »