;

Author Topic: "I am Generation Y"  (Read 573707 times)

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon old Swear on me mum m8
    • Awards
Re: "I am Generation Y"
« Reply #4475 on: July 04, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
lol at all these faggots coming out to 'burn' me for poking their hero jew.

Procrustes

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #4476 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
+6
lol at all these faggots coming out to 'burn' me for poking their hero jew.

You are Noted Crimigrant Doublenigger Dave

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
    • Awards
« Reply #4477 on: July 05, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »
+4
I'll have two chicken tacos, one beef taco, and a side of rice, then you may mow my lawn before fucking back off to Mexico you dirty third world cunt. 

Procrustes

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Quieres comprar naranjas?
    • Awards
« Reply #4478 on: July 05, 2018, 01:59:39 AM »
+9
I'll have two chicken tacos, one beef taco, and a side of rice, then you may mow my lawn before fucking back off to Mexico you dirty third world cunt.

Noted Crimigrant Doublenigger Dave I have never lived in a 3rd world country. You ran from one to another so maybe that wasnít the best way to go with that.

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
    • Awards
« Reply #4479 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
+4

Noted Crimigrant Doublenigger Dave I have never lived in a 3rd world country. You ran from one to another so maybe that wasnít the best way to go with that.
Pictured: Proc's IRL childhood home and the fence he jumped over

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
    • Awards
« Reply #4480 on: August 29, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
+8
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45335808

Couple do a fundraiser for a homeless guy on the internet, get $400,000 and spend it on themselves because he's a homeless junkie who spent any money on drugs. Lawyer steps in to 'defend' the homeless guy pro bono out of the goodness of her heart so she can get a cut of the sweet sweet money too.

Justice Dredd

• Cishet White Male
  • Original Patients
  • Resident Physician and Expert Warlock
  • Awards Something Wonderful cold, dead hands Goon or Ex-Goon TNE Veteran Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #4481 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »
+7

Couple do a fundraiser for a homeless guy on the internet, get $400,000 and spend it on themselves because he's a homeless junkie who spent any money on drugs. Lawyer steps in to 'defend' the homeless guy pro bono out of the goodness of her heart so she can get a cut of the sweet sweet money too.

adults wearing footie pajamas is some creepy shit

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Goon or Ex-Goon
    • Awards
« Reply #4482 on: August 30, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
+5

Itís a great scam actually.
His name was Harry Anderson

HondaRider271

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist Texan cold, dead hands Prepper Libertarian 420 Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #4483 on: September 01, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »
+5
Better scam: have the husband grow out his beard, put on some old clothes, roll around in the garden for a bit, and pretend he is homeless. Then no hobo can say that they were supposed to get the money, and their money was stolen (money that they never had to begin with, but semantics).
Quote from: Ozma
You are doing a good job, don't take a little thing like this too seriously. There are always little drama flareups in forums!
I don't want people thinking that lobbying a bunch will get you ousted (because that's really ridiculous and I don't play that way!)...
And again, seriously, do not worry about this.
Quote from: Rachael Emma Gilbert
You did a good job for your forum and are a legitimately nice guy

David Hedgehogstein

• Cishet White Male
  • Knights
  • Member of Jew Club
    • Awards
« Reply #4484 on: September 01, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
+4
Better scam: have the husband grow out his beard, put on some old clothes, roll around in the garden for a bit, and pretend he is homeless. Then no hobo can say that they were supposed to get the money, and their money was stolen (money that they never had to begin with, but semantics).
Then dun gon fucked up. Court ruled that they have to put the money in Escrow and account for/pay back every penny.

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4485 on: September 01, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
+1
I like the way you think.

There's No Way Somebody can be that Fat and not be Gay

• Domestic Threat
  • Crazed Anime Racist
    • blacked.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4486 on: September 01, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
+6
Better scam: have the husband grow out his beard, put on some old clothes, roll around in the garden for a bit, and pretend he is a Muslim.
Can someone please ID that fucking troon for me so I may begin twitter bullying him?

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Canuck Goon or Ex-Goon 420 Anglican Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #4487 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
+10
I want to talk about this article. It's on Cracked, but I'm posting here instead of the Cracked thread because it has more to do with this thread.

To Survive Today, You Have To Think Like A Celebrity

Here are some select statements I have taken from the opening bit:

We, on the other hand, are being forced into the gig economy, aka experiencing all of the pressure and insecurity of being an entrepreneur, but without the power or wealth.

What the old people don't get is that the dreams of becoming an Instagram star or -- ugh -- social media influencer don't come from runaway narcissism. It's what the gig economy requires.

It's also an exhausting, anxiety-inducing treadmill that most of us aren't prepared to handle.

Ok, so the entire article is predicated on those three ideas. We are being forced into a gig economy. The gig economy requires you to be a social influencer to be successful. It's anxiety inducing.

So, I want to break my issue with this into two parts. The first part is more philosophical and Richard Stallmanisque, and the second is more anecdotal.

1) The prison she is complaining about in this article is a creation for her and her peers. Uber works because it undercuts taxi companies by making drivers use their own cars and paying them less. That's the free market and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you don't want to be forced into a gig economy, don't use Uber. A lot of Uber's customers and drivers tend to be younger, thus her idea that she is being forced into the gig economy is a direct result of she and her peers using Uber and driving cab companies out of business. You could apply this to any number of these sorts of services. The money you save by using these services is money that's not getting paid to someone else, therefore the jobs that are a direct spinoff of the industry that the app is supplanting slowly but surely cease to exist and all that is left is the app AKA the gig economy. You have the power to break that cycle by not using these services, but I'm sure if questioned, the author would come up with a dozen excuses why she can't.

I could say them same thing about social media. If a strong presence on social media is required for you to function and get a job, it's because you and all your peers are all using it. If it is so awful for you and your peers, get off it and try to get your friends off it. You can't be forced to be a social influencer if there's no one to influence. Baby boomers did not force you to install the Uber app. Baby boomers did not force you to have an Instagram account. Social influencers aren't trying to capture a demographic that is moving rapidly toward retirement in the Baby Boomers. They're trying to capture the younger demographic who is totally captivated by social media and can't imagine life without it. If people weren't so addicted to social media, being a social influencer wouldn't be worth diddly squat. I'm not on social media and the excuses people I know make not to get off it sound like a person trying to practically justify their crack addiction.

You and your peers have come to rely on social media and gig economy services because they are mildly convenient and give you a bump of feel good hormones when someone likes your post. You have created this prison yourselves. You can blame a lot on baby boomers, but the gig economy and the need to be a force on social media to function in it is not one of them. That's totally on the current generation. This is collectively your own fault.

2) I disagree with the idea that you need to survive in the gig economy and therefore need to be a social influencer to begin with anyway. There are two towns right next to each other about two or three hours outside the city in my province. There are around 3-4k people in each of them, and if you include the surrounding small towns, there are about 12 or 13 thousand people in the area. The main economic drivers are a fish plant that processes shellfish and ground fish and tourism as it is close to the ocean. The fish plant has so much trouble finding workers, they actually ship a boatload of people in from the Philippines every summer to fill all the low-skill positions because there aren't enough workers locally. There are bars, there's a farmer's market, there are hotels and B&Bs, there are grocery stores, there is a Wal-Mart and several smaller department stores, there are gas stations and fast food chains and there are three or four hardware stores.

I took a look at the job bank, a website that the government of Canada maintains for job postings, there are literally hundreds of job ads for this area. They are mostly for retail job and bar tenders and whatnot, and they all pay $11-$12 a hour, which doesn't sound like a lot, but you're talking an area where you can find a two-bedroom basement apartment for around $650 a month. Totally comfortable with a spouse or roomate. Furthermore, if you were willing to commute 20-30 minutes from the centre of these towns to the smaller towns on the outskirts, you can easily get a 30-40 year old three-bedroom house on a half acre of land for less than 100k.

Zero of these employers give a shit about your presence on social media. Zero.

I would bet most people in Canada, and probably the United States, would just need to move a couple hours away to live in a similar area with an extremely low cost of living with similar problems trying to find low skilled workers for shit like retail and bar tending.

So why are there so many jobs and why is housing/rent so low? The conventional wisdom I have heard is that there's nothing there for young people. Mother fucker, what do young people even want? What is there for young people where they are now? You're writing a 2,000 word article about how miserable you are on this treadmill that runs on anxiety where you're trying to function in the gig economy by playing dressup for the internet, yet you won't live in a place where you can get off the treadmill and still live comfortably. The real reason no one moves to these places isn't because there's nothing for young people, imo. The real reason is people like the author of the article have deluded themselves into thinking they are destined for something greater than gutting fish or serving beer in a small bar for a couple of bucks more than minimum wage.

You say capitalism is the problem, but this idea that you are special has been beaten into your head by the capitalist marketplace in an effort to sell you things, and you are subscribing to it to such a great degree, you are actually making yourself miserable. Then you turn around and blame everyone else. You could be happy if you just accept that you are a mediocre person and just aspire to being comfortable.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:47:58 AM by Got Soylent? »

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #4488 on: September 06, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
+10
IMO "Gig Economy" is the direct impact result of a free marking colliding with over regulation and bloated bureaucracy.

Cabs vs Uber to me is the implosion of cab companies maintaining a monopoly on livery services via the whole yellow cab medallion racket.

Uber is a nice middle finger to both cab companies and big government that says "It's my goddamn car and I can do whatever the fuck I want with it."

From the consumer end, I would absolutely rather purchase goods and services from a competitive market where quality is paramount to success. Cab drivers are (or were) by in large inept, smelly, disgusting, kniving niggers because they weren't beholden to the competitive standards of free market.

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Wounded in the line of posting. Canuck Goon or Ex-Goon 420 Anglican Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #4489 on: September 06, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
+3
IMO "Gig Economy" is the direct impact result of a free marking colliding with over regulation and bloated bureaucracy.

Cabs vs Uber to me is the implosion of cab companies maintaining a monopoly on livery services via the whole yellow cab medallion racket.

Uber is a nice middle finger to both cab companies and big government that says "It's my goddamn car and I can do whatever the fuck I want with it."

From the consumer end, I would absolutely rather purchase goods and services from a competitive market where quality is paramount to success. Cab drivers are (or were) by in large inept, smelly, disgusting, kniving niggers because they weren't beholden to the competitive standards of free market.

I don't disagree. This is where my second point about having the ability to check out of this system at any time comes in. The first point was more of a, "You say you hate this, but it only exists because you have enabled it to exist."

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4490 on: September 06, 2018, 12:38:11 PM »
+10
The writer works in a gig economy because he has no skills(he wants to be a ďsocial media influencer and writes for Cracked in the year of our Lord 2018) and lives in a metropolitan area, probably somewhere in Cali. His problems could be solved by a change in career path and moving. But itís probably too late for him to learn a trade, hell plumbing was the worst job I ever had. Plenty of office drone analysist chair warmer positions to pick though. And moving South will mean he will have to deal with conservatives, the horrors of dealing with non bugs.

blasting_asshole

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Faggot
    • Awards
« Reply #4491 on: September 06, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
+7
Now that I actually think about it, livery is the only thing I can think of that's gone to "gig economy." Everything else I can think of was already gig-based, prior to social media. Every plumber, electrician, handyman I've met was either gig-based the whole time or works for some sort of contract company.

I think the pozzed writer is just projecting. Sorry your useless in a shit industry, but it's always been that way.

Find a fuckin day job.

unprivsplain

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4492 on: September 06, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
+8
Uber v Cabs was such a perfect storm because cabs are the worst fucking thing ever and people who have only taken 2 cab rides ever will have 2 stories about how much they suck.

Whig Historian

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4493 on: September 06, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
+4
Now that I actually think about it, livery is the only thing I can think of that's gone to "gig economy." Everything else I can think of was already gig-based, prior to social media. Every plumber, electrician, handyman I've met was either gig-based the whole time or works for some sort of contract company.

I think the pozzed writer is just projecting. Sorry your useless in a shit industry, but it's always been that way.

Find a fuckin day job.

I can characterize my job as gig-based too. I get paid by a client to do a specific piece of work for them (often on time-based compensation), and once it's finished that's more or less it and I've got to find a steady stream of new clients. It's a longer timeline, but structurally not that different.

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4494 on: September 06, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
+3
Uber v Cabs was such a perfect storm because cabs are the worst fucking thing ever and people who have only taken 2 cab rides ever will have 2 stories about how much they suck.
Iíve heard of cab drivers moon lighting as Uber and Lyft drivers in their yellow cab.

J Dog

• Cishet White Male
  • Ashli get moving. Why keep your feeble hope alive?
    • Awards
« Reply #4495 on: September 06, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
+8
I like cabs in the rare instance that you:

1. Get an American cab driver who isn't shouting arabic into a cellphone the whole ride,
2. Spend under 10 minutes to find the cab in the first place.

The Watcher

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4496 on: September 06, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
+5

1. Get an American cab driver who isn't shouting arabic into a cellphone the whole ride,
Seriously, what the fuck is it with the dark browns and speaking with people on the phone at all hours of the day?

Obese-n-Triggered

• Cishet White Male
  • Quick Robin, to the Golden Corral!
  • Awards Sasstronaut Fucked a lesbian United Statesian Goon or Ex-Goon Better dead than red cold, dead hands old Boy Scout
    • Awards
« Reply #4497 on: September 07, 2018, 02:27:28 AM »
+5

Seriously, what the fuck is it with the dark browns and speaking with people on the phone at all hours of the day?

Speech-to-text so they can optimize their shitposting. They can complain about the fat, entitled soyboy they are ferrying around while updating their social media feeds.

This is why Lenny is an unstoppable shitpost machine.

HondaRider271

• Cishet White Male
  • Awards Goon or Ex-Goon Motorcyclist Texan cold, dead hands Prepper Libertarian 420 Wounded in the line of posting.
    • Awards
« Reply #4498 on: September 07, 2018, 06:03:18 AM »
+8

You and your peers have come to rely on social media and gig economy services because they are mildly convenient and give you a bump of feel good hormones when someone likes your post. You have created this prison yourselves. You can blame a lot on baby boomers, but the gig economy and the need to be a force on social media to function in it is not one of them. That's totally on the current generation. This is collectively your own fault
I understand the mentality here, but as an individual there is really nothing you can do. Like you say "well you don't like the social media bullshit, get your friends off social media and you're done!"

Right, but that is impossible. That's like the old theory every guy comes up with at some point in life "if every guy just stopped being so thirsty for like a week girls would no longer have the sexual power!"

Well guess what, as soon as any modicum of people join in on an idea like this, there is a vacuum left. And then anybody who is even remotely enterprising will see the vacuum, fill it, get rich/laid/whatever, and then other people will see them do it, and we're back to square 1.

And I don't agree with the author entirely, in that EVERY job, or even an overwhelming majority require social media. But there is definitely a huge trend towards that. I am on social media for the exclusive reason that the business I run absolutely requires it. It's by far the biggest method we have to get information out to customers. My social media presence is really important to my livelihood, which is really fucking annoying because all I wanna do is post about niggerdeath and how much I love heroin. But nooooo

Anywho, point being obviously there are plenty of jobs where you can have 0 social media presence and make plenty of money. But those jobs are not always available and are often highly competitive or selective. Or they just don't pay shit, in the form of WalMart, et al.

I understand that entrepreneurial bullshit always required some level of charisma no matter what era you live in, but nowadays it has gotten ridiculous. You have people with absolute SHIT companies that are masters at social media and therefore e-famous and their companies are successful (coughElonMuskcough, sneezeApplesneeze). And then you have people with perfectly valid companies, better products, cheaper prices, but their social media presence is just basic shit, and they go out of business.

Basically the entire philosophy of business that was accepted throughout the majority of the 20th century was "make a good product, make it look nice, price it appropriately (cheaper than competitors if possible), and advertise starting locally." Of course there were exceptions, but following that method was at least sufficient for local success sufficient to support your family. The hard part was getting the product to a high quality, after you had that down and the manufacturing secured, it was downhill from there.

But what the last couple decades have shown us is that people (either forever, or just the newest generation of shoppers) actually don't give a FUCK about the quality of their products. They don't care where it's made, how it's made, how long it lasts, or even what the fuck it does. All they care about is whether their favorite Kardashian has one, or whether Drake endorsed it, or whether some random youtube "star" showed one briefly in a video.

Fuck, people don't even care if the product EXISTS YET. Look at all the bullshit gofundmes that got thousands upon thousands of dollars and they had nothing. Nothing. Not a prototype, not a blueprint, just a drawing of what it might look like eventually.

The solution of course is the same as the social media thing... don't give money to shitty gofundmes. Well, I don't. I never have. In fact, I've never donated a penny to any similar type of phenomenon. But even if I tell every one of my friends not to, and they listen to me - even if I post on my social media and tell them not to, and THEY listen to me - even if every single person in my distant sphere of influence is so moved by my comments on the matter that they NEVER donate to anything like that again, it still makes no fucking difference.

This is a phenomenon with millions upon millions of people. Surely into the billions, since it's a world-wide thing. So yeah, it's "my" fault in the sense that it's my generation that did it. But I have been fighting my generation on everything tooth and nail for my whole life, it changes nothing.

There is no solution...just the Final Solution.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:15:11 AM by HondaRider271 »
Quote from: Ozma
You are doing a good job, don't take a little thing like this too seriously. There are always little drama flareups in forums!
I don't want people thinking that lobbying a bunch will get you ousted (because that's really ridiculous and I don't play that way!)...
And again, seriously, do not worry about this.
Quote from: Rachael Emma Gilbert
You did a good job for your forum and are a legitimately nice guy

Got Soylent?

• Cishet White Male
    • Awards
« Reply #4499 on: September 07, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
+7

I understand the mentality here, but as an individual there is really nothing you can do. Like you say "well you don't like the social media bullshit, get your friends off social media and you're done!"

Right, but that is impossible. That's like the old theory every guy comes up with at some point in life "if every guy just stopped being so thirsty for like a week girls would no longer have the sexual power!"

The difference is one of these is a fundamental biological act, and the other is a way to jack off to Becky from accounting's vacation photos for somewhere between 90-95% of the population. The vast majority of people on social media are not influencers, and are not leaving any sort of vacuum to fill if they leave social media. I'm not telling Kim Kardashian to delete Instagram. I'm saying the plebs who are the ones being influenced by the Kim Kardashians of the world need to delete it.

I feel like you're coming at this from the perspective that attention is a finite resource and social media is a struggle to capture as much of that finite resource as possible so you can convert that attention into money, and if you leave, someone will come and grab the attention you previously held and convert it into money for themselves  (which to be fair I guess the girl in the article is doing too). That kind of mentality accounts for a tiny fraction of users. I'm advocating for the influencees who are just posting pictures of their babies or whatever and liking random shit to delete their social media accounts and stop providing the attention so that the resource isn't there to exploit to begin with. 

An analogy: I want the peasants tilling the king's fields to just walk away. I'm not telling the king to abdicate his throne so someone else can step in and take over. Those peasants collectively are a mass of individuals with the ability to reason and if you convince enough of those individuals to leave, the king will starve. That's what I'm gunning for. Unfortunately you are right about one thing, when you have literally two-billion people in the field, it takes more work to convince a large enough number of individuals to leave.

Agree to disagree I guess. I'm only in my mid-30s and I've been off social media since 2011 or 2012 and it has literally never been an issue, and it's really weird to see someone who I assume is close to my age, write a big article about how they have to live in a like fueled hellscape to function. I maintain that spending an increasing amount of time on social media leads to an increasing dependence on it, and you'd be fine if you were never on it at all, but again, I know you disagree. I'm content in the knowledge that I can live a happy, productive, comfortable life without social media, and you will never convince me that the vast majority of the population needs it to function as long as I can do that.

Also on an unrelated note, if you ever felt like a woman had sexual power over you, jesus christ. lol. Women are submissive by nature, son. They want a grown man with big hairy balls to fix their shit, put them in a house and take care of them. You'd get hung for publicly expressing this opinion today, but the fundamental biological nature of mammals does not change with the ebbs and flows of politics or technology, and I've been around the block enough times to see it. Your girlfriend might say she likes thin men with $60 haircuts with an Instagram account, but at the end of the day, the big dirty mechanic with rough hands is the one who gets her wet, just the same as the moose cow likes the big strong bull with bigger antlers.

I'm not saying that I don't think women and men should have equal rights or that a woman has no place in the work place should she desire to be there. Don't mistake me for one of those guys. I am saying that deep down the vast majority of women are submissive and want a dominate partner.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:55:18 AM by Got Soylent? »